Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting reading this thread. I'm 66, so not really the Glasto market. But, even when I was younger, I didn't go (and it was pretty easy to get tickets then). I must say that I'd not heard of many of the bands mentioned (or not heard them) but I've enjoyed watching the highlights on BBC.

I really liked Christine and the Queens, so much so that I'm going to buy his album. I thought the Pretenders and Sparks played decent sets. Tinariwen were excellent (but they're probably the band that I knew the best, I have a few of their albums and seen them a couple of times). I was new to Arctic Monkeys and thought they were off-the-scale dull, quickly turning over. I loved seeing Cat Stevens again.

I know it's not an original thought but the knockout performer for me was Lizzo - what a set, what a stage presence. I only vaguely knew her before but I was knocked out ... and the bit of Zauberflöte in the middle was rather special. Why the hell wasn't she headlining?

It was good to recapture a bit of my youth for a while ... and without having to queue for overpriced beer or try to sleep in a tent.
I'm sure you now of them but, if you like Tinariwen, pretty sure Imarhan will work for you too.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Funny you say that . . I was watching some super 8 footage of 1994, Paul Weller, I was there, apart from the fact some mates were camped half way up the current crowd back then, the most noticable thing was no flags.

I hope they're not quite as view sapping there as they appear on TV, and I don't like being a killjoy, but it must ruin the view for so many just because a few 'look at me' pinterest/instagram types can't help themselves.

If you want to make a statement, make and wear a tee shirt, then enee fule kno you is a cool kat . . . Or a twunt.
I went a few years ago (2017?) and I don't remember the flags being an issue at all.
Helpful for finding people since you can tell them which flag you're stood next to.
Plenty of other things to get pissed off about mind.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The problem with the main stages at Glastonbury is that people want cheese. I run a bar there and see it every year. There's loads of f***ing amazing music all over the site where 'artists' can be artists but if you're playing on Pyramid, even as a headliner, it's lowest common denominator or you'll stink the place out.
The reality is most people just want to sing along to faithful renditions of songs they know. It's not really the place for new songs or experimentation.
As an aside, they're definitely at absolute capacity now both in terms of infrastructure and the relentless fawning over celebrity passes.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
But this isnt A festival, its THE festival. To just play pretty much your tour set list half cocked (or full cock) is a shame IMHO.
AM already smashed it in 2007, they set the bar very high and will never live up to that night whatever they do here on in

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It certainly is, but isn't the average age of that audience about 25 years younger than the one they get at Glasto now? :)
Yep, this. If Arctic Monkeys pissed off a bunch of 40 and 50 somethings so they could play their future hits to a generation who might buy them then fair play.

Greatest hits compilations are for Our Price.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The problem with the main stages at Glastonbury is that people want cheese. I run a bar there and see it every year. There's loads of f***ing amazing music all over the site where 'artists' can be artists but if you're playing on Pyramid, even as a headliner, it's lowest common denominator or you'll stink the place out.
The reality is most people just want to sing along to faithful renditions of songs they know. It's not really the place for new songs or experimentation.
As an aside, they're definitely at absolute capacity now both in terms of infrastructure and the relentless fawning over celebrity passes.
Yeah, there's a massive expectation around the headliners now - especially with the streaming and media coverage.

Anyone who goes knows that Pyramid stage headliners don't really matter - that there's dozens of others things to choose from.

And anyone who's never been doesn't believe them!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
AM were my only visit to the Pyramid in the last two years. As you say, so much more of interest going on.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
We watched some of on TV last night - thought The Pretenders, Sparks (still going strong in their 70s), and the Manics were superb.
Sparks are my favourite band since childhood so I very much enjoyed. From what I’ve seen so far my personal highlights have been Black Country New Road and Shame and although he appears to be an angry dude I’m looking forward to seeing them at Victorious

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve just been watching Rick Astley and Blossoms playing The Smiths songs on i player, actually very impressed tbh.
One of my favourite songs.

Just catching this as well. Surprisingly good. I can’t quite work how it would ever have come about. Were Blossoms thinking it’d be cool to do a Smiths set and then thought ‘better get Rick Astley in then’. Bonkers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure you now of them but, if you like Tinariwen, pretty sure Imarhan will work for you too.
Thanks, I'll look out for them. I have some Tamikrest and have just discovered Mdou Moctar. I love this music, it's a cross between the rai singers that I've been collecting since the 80s and the Malian griots.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just catching this as well. Surprisingly good. I can’t quite work how it would ever have come about. Were Blossoms thinking it’d be cool to do a Smiths set and then thought ‘better get Rick Astley in then’. Bonkers
I really don’t know, I asked my youngest son as he is a big fan of Blossoms, he doesn’t know what the connection is.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sparks are my favourite band since childhood so I very much enjoyed. From what I’ve seen so far my personal highlights have been Black Country New Road and Shame and although he appears to be an angry dude I’m looking forward to seeing them at Victorious
It’s all about the Bassist with Shame, unbelievable set, that was my 8th time seeing them and they never let me down with the energy.

NorfolkGull

Oct 2, 2021
81BBB0F0-290B-47B4-A670-36A7BC880028.thumb.jpeg.8b7e0ca6bd5ffd3e4eb245e1b5515af7.jpeg

That photo was taken from the disabled platform. The flag situation really needs looking at

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just got home after an amazing weekend, just had a massive sleep since I got home at 5pm, did about 130k steps over the weekend. Was great to close the weekend with @Pogue Mahone at Queens of the Stone Age. Glad everyone enjoyed the Jason Steele propaganda, hope Southgate was watching, met lots of Brighton fans, as well as meeting a lot of very very baffled Sunderland Fans. So many different amazing sets over the weekend I’ll have a proper review in the morning, think I saw about 30 sets over the weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here