Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just catching this as well. Surprisingly good. I can’t quite work how it would ever have come about. Were Blossoms thinking it’d be cool to do a Smiths set and then thought ‘better get Rick Astley in then’. Bonkers
Good background and the answer to this via

and this excellent Twitter thread by Jude Rogers.

It was my highlight of the weekend. Incredible.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Dialogues des Carmélites is quite beautiful. It’s about five hours long though! Enjoy!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A reminder that there is a *lot* - over 100 sets - not just the Pyramid Stage but nearly everything (there's only a couple of gaps this year) from Other, Woodsies, West Holts and Park as well - - of Glastonbury on iPlayer .

or if you prefer to listen then BBC Sounds has a LOT too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Will piggyback on to this thread, as I doubt a specific one will generate much interest. We're off to Love Supreme in a few hours. Plans are for:
Friday -- Gabriels
Saturday -- Little Simz, Greentea Peng, (Courtney Pine?)
Sunday -- Grace Jones, Candy Staton, Yussef Dayes, Mulatu Astatke -- potentially Thundercat and Binker Golding too, but they're both headlining so not only clash with one another but also Grace Jones
All about loaded towards Sunday. Any other recommendations? Anyone else going, or have been in the past and have recommendations (we went to a day last year)?
Having been at Glastonbury for a week I really can’t cope with a whole weekend of Love Supreme.

So we are just doing the Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing Incognito, Shalamar, Greentea Peng, FKJ, Yaya Bey and Little Simz.

I am driving so that I can’t be tempted to drink etc.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Will piggyback on to this thread, as I doubt a specific one will generate much interest. We're off to Love Supreme in a few hours. Plans are for:
Friday -- Gabriels
Saturday -- Little Simz, Greentea Peng, (Courtney Pine?)
Sunday -- Grace Jones, Candy Staton, Yussef Dayes, Mulatu Astatke -- potentially Thundercat and Binker Golding too, but they're both headlining so not only clash with one another but also Grace Jones
All about loaded towards Sunday. Any other recommendations? Anyone else going, or have been in the past and have recommendations (we went to a day last year)?Immanuel Wilkins.
Immanuel Wilkins on Saturday, I think. Def worth seeing.
His last release (The 7th Hand) was in most journalists jazz best-offs last year, and a musician I’d like to have seen.
Not been to to LS for a few years now. They don’t present enough of the Jazz that I like.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Immanuel Wilkins on Saturday, I think. Def worth seeing.
His last release (The 7th Hand) was in most journalists jazz best-offs last year, and a musician I’d like to have seen.
Not been to to LS for a few years now. They don’t present enough of the Jazz that I like.
I might post more extensively, but my hunch is that you'd like Tigran Hamasyan, which was our 'find' of the festival -- and finds are always the best thing about festivals. I hope @Pogue Mahone stumbled across it too.
We were taken by Svaneborg Kardyb too who try to relay twilight/early morning through sound and do so effectively for me -- it's somewhat difficult for a jazz drummer to demonstrate restraint as the norm, but that requirement encourages creativity.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I might post more extensively, but my hunch is that you'd like Tigran Hamasyan, which was our 'find' of the festival -- and finds are always the best thing about festivals. I hope @Pogue Mahone stumbled across it too.
We were taken by Svaneborg Kardyb too who try to relay twilight/early morning through sound and do so effectively for me -- it's somewhat difficult for a jazz drummer to demonstrate restraint as the norm, but that requirement encourages creativity.
I didn't, I will investigate.

Did you see FKJ? I had high expectations which he surpassed. I thought he was absolutely brilliant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I didn't, I will investigate.

Did you see FKJ? I had high expectations which he surpassed. I thought he was absolutely brilliant.
No, I didn't, although heard bits from a distance while eating. I think we did a bit of Marcus Miller at the time, who I was underwhelmed by -- too much muso canoodling, which doesn't do it for me ...
... Speaking of which, wasn't blown away by Yussuf Dayes, which is just an outfit to showcase his drumming skills (which he has, but that's not enough for me) ...
... and I now know that I loathe Thundercat with a passion -- that's a vehicle for an extended six-string bass solo that plummets beyond the nadirs of prog

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No, I didn't, although heard bits from a distance while eating. I think we did a bit of Marcus Miller at the time, who I was underwhelmed by -- too much muso canoodling, which doesn't do it for me ...
... Speaking of which, wasn't blown away by Yussuf Dayes, which is just an outfit to showcase his drumming skills (which he has, but that's not enough for me) ...
... and I now know that I loathe Thundercat with a passion -- that's a vehicle for an extended six-string bass solo that plummets beyond the nadirs of prog
Don’t really know if there’s something I’m not getting with Thundercat. All my friends seem to love his live show. But twice now I’ve started watching, got bored and walked off.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don’t really know if there’s something I’m not getting with Thundercat. All my friends seem to love his live show. But twice now I’ve started watching, got bored and walked off.
One and a half songs it took me, and I only lasted that long because it was one of the only performers that my 16yo (who knows of you!) said that he wanted to watch.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I went to Finsbury Park to see Pulp on Saturday and they were immense, I was blown away. Best live music/atmosphere/vibes I have experienced in a long time.

Pity about the 4 hours it took to get home after a fatality East Croydon. Train was absolutely rammed with people coming back from Pride in London, Pulp and Motley Crew. Grim journey.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

I love Thundercat but I can't imagine going to watch something like that unless you have listened through the albums a few times.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I went to Finsbury Park to see Pulp on Saturday and they were immense, I was blown away. Best live music/atmosphere/vibes I have experienced in a long time.

Pity about the 4 hours it took to get home after a fatality East Croydon. Train was absolutely rammed with people coming back from Pride in London, Pulp and Motley Crew. Grim journey.
Also did the same, nightmare journey home but Jarvis was on fine fine form.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
One and a half songs it took me, and I only lasted that long because it was one of the only performers that my 16yo (who knows of you!) said that he wanted to watch.
I think his best tracks (IMO) are the ones in which he’s with other people. It’s a strange live show.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Alison Goldfrapp on Park Stage sounding great now.
Didn't get around to watching that. I see now that many were accusing her of miming.

Went to see her at Somerset House last night. She and the musicians were 100% miming. So, so poor!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Didn't get around to watching that. I see now that many were accusing her of miming.

Went to see her at Somerset House last night. She and the musicians were 100% miming. So, so poor!
I would demand a refund. Absolutely shameful. How much were tickets?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not Glastonbury but the BBC coverage of TRNSMT is okay. The Paul Heaton set is good with a new female vocalist who has a great voice, standing in for Jacqui Abbott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here