Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury 2016 - line up posted, Tuesday.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Was there a festival anywhere in the world during the 1980s that Billy Bragg didn't play at?

I doubt it & you had a 76.7% chance of stumbling across him playing around a camp fire too if you didn't keep your wits about you...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Sadly not. I remember it being discussed but we didn't follow through with it - not sure why. What were they like in comparison to 80s Glastonbury & The Elephant Fayre if you did any of them?

Well the music was nothing special, mainly Hawkwind, a few hippie type bands (Here & Now I think) and punk (Poison Girls were at one I recall) but the atmosphere was amazing. It was easier to buy drugs than food with stalls openly selling almost every kind you can think of with associated paraphernalia. Toilets were a pit dug in the ground where you did not want to topple backwards!

Weather was amazing both times which probably helped.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Well the music was nothing special, mainly Hawkwind, a few hippie type bands (Here & Now I think) and punk (Poison Girls were at one I recall) but the atmosphere was amazing. It was easier to buy drugs than food with stalls openly selling almost every kind you can think of with associated paraphernalia.Toilets were a pit dug in the ground where you did not want to topple backwards! Weather was amazing both times which probably helped.

Sounds like I missed out there (apart from the shit pit...which must have been ripe in the fine weather...). I'm pretty sure the pit/drug combo saw at least one person take a fall each year at G ...nice.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've never heard of Bring me the Horizon, what album would you recommend?

They will probably be playing their new one, That's The Spirit, as they have somewhat contraversially changed their style to a more 'poppy' style. I quite like the new sound and they are on my pencilled in list. Certainly a different choice for Glastonbury especially if as rumoured they are headlining or are high up on The Other stage.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Was there a festival anywhere in the world during the 1980s that Billy Bragg didn't play at?

Him and Attila certainly played ones in East Germany in the 80s. How they loved to tell us how great the country was, "so little crime" etc. I'm sure they laugh about it now.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Fela Kuti: I think he played one or two magnificent songs for what felt like hours (in a good way). No idea what the songs were without looking them up. I had been introduced to him by my brother in law & had not taken much notice but this set sealed the deal. Headlined the Sunday night closing slot I think.

I got intrigued [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] . The inter web is a truly wondrous thing

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Fela might just have been THE greatest.

You'll find little argument here. & you'll find the full gig here:

Amazingly I had never searched for it before so am about to watch it for first time since the gig. Weird.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You'll find little argument here. & you'll fund the full gig here:

Amazingly I had never searched for it before so am about to watch it for first time since the gig. Weird.

I'm listening to the cricket at the mo but the speech he gives in the into to Teacher..... is as true now as it was in 1984. Maybe more so.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Jeremy Corbyn confirmed for Glastonbury 2016

........ a Labour party source has confirmed that Jeremy Corbyn will appear at the festival’s 2016 event.

The line up of speakers and groups at the Left Field stage is being organised by singer and activist Billy Bragg. Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has also been invited to speak.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/04/jeremy-corbyn-to-speak-at-glastonbury-2016

If Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness turn up the Reunion Tour is on ... :rock:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jeremy Corbyn confirmed for Glastonbury 2016

........ a Labour party source has confirmed that Jeremy Corbyn will appear at the festival’s 2016 event.

The line up of speakers and groups at the Left Field stage is being organised by singer and activist Billy Bragg. Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has also been invited to speak.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/04/jeremy-corbyn-to-speak-at-glastonbury-2016

If Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness turn up the Reunion Tour is on ... :rock:

Wonder if Hague will be at Notting Hill this year?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    717.7 KB · Views: 58

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here