Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury 2016 - line up posted, Tuesday.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's the greatest festival on earth.

It's probably the best all-rounder, I'll give you that. Some get the bookings better, some get the balance between electronic and 'accoustic' music better, some get the layout better, some even (shock horror) get the 'experience' better. If there were any festival I'd punt £200 on blind it would be Glastonbury.

If you have a wide taste in music and have £200 to spare it isn't really a risk. Yes, I'd be disappointed (to put it mildly) about this years headliners but I bet when the stage times emerge, they'll be something musical I'm interested in from 11am to 5am. And if not, there's plenty else to do!

One experience that that hit me is because of the length (many people pitch up on the Wednesday and leave on the Monday) it gave me a massive sense of freedom. I realised as I was leaving, I had no interaction with any figure of authority (aside from the wife) in the time from when I got my wrist band to when I left. There's no restrictions on where you can and can't take a beer, no showing your wristband to get in certain places etc....

I didn't even see a police officer for 5 days. Nor a sign of trouble.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
One experience that that hit me is because of the length (many people pitch up on the Wednesday and leave on the Monday) it gave me a massive sense of freedom. I realised as I was leaving, I had no interaction with any figure of authority (aside from the wife) in the time from when I got my wrist band to when I left. There's no restrictions on where you can and can't take a beer, no showing your wristband to get in certain places etc....

I think this is the big unseen USP of Glastonbury. You are taken out of the 'real' world for a week, no worries about work, time becomes a totally redundant concept, and you do, for want of a better phrase, have a great sense of freedom.

Considering how many people are at this event I have yet to encounter anyone giving me serious grief in the four times that i have been, most people seem genuinely happy to be there and that resultant 'won the lottery' feeling gives the festival a happy vibe. The fact that it is one of the few live events that is tout free and does not enrich the parasitic secondary ticket market the place is full of people that really want to be there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree. From my experiences of UK festivals and a handful of foreign ones this is unique. Other festivals either limit booze, clear our the immediate stage areas at night, make you camp outside the perimeter fence or all three plus more. It's total freedom at Glastonbury and everyone gets into this spirit.

I did see a copper at Glastonbury once. He came up to me and asked I I was the owner of the tent I was sat outside. I had been a bit casual with certain things and even had some "stuff" lined up on a patio table. Suffice to say I was bricking myself and went a bit breathless and high-pitched. But he'd seen a Brighton flag we had.....and asked if I went to Cardiff as he was a Brizzle City fan. He stayed and chatted about football for the longest 10 minutes of my life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I love the Englishness of it as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or a shower :)

I used to take my own portable solar shower which was a contraption I'd hang underneath my gazebo. I used to get quite a few whistles as I was lathering myself up with shower gel and a buff-puff.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Sorry my memory is a little hazy for some reason......I don't think I watched them either way.

No worries. They were billed v prominently on the posters which may explain it

image.jpeg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree. From my experiences of UK festivals and a handful of foreign ones this is unique. Other festivals either limit booze, clear our the immediate stage areas at night, make you camp outside the perimeter fence or all three plus more. It's total freedom at Glastonbury and everyone gets into this spirit.

Not sure it's unique. Do you know about Burning Man?

It's something akin to a Mad Max role play. Sounds like hell to me.

http://burningman.org/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure it's unique. Do you know about Burning Man?

It's something akin to a Mad Max role play. Sounds like hell to me.

http://burningman.org/

Good point. My choice of words wasn't great; I was trying to say from the numerous festivals I've been to this is the only one which has said freedoms.

And yup, Burning Man is on my bucket list along with Sonar, SXSW and that one in Croatia in a fort up a hill who's name escapes me.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Hmm. Wasn't a classic was it. I also now realise that wasn't the last time as I went in 1985 and 1986 too.
Oh I don't know - the line up and music were fairly incidental for me. Like many I just wandered about quite randomly - if I managed to see someone I liked / wanted to it was often more down to chance than any ability to follow a plan. My best memories are almost all related to stumbling across unexpected events. If I ever made a list of the bands I missed because of this it would probably make some weep but I would not change a thing.

Think I was at 85 & 86 too.I remember one early one where we parked our van on the main stage field right next to a friendly sulphate tent & had be towed out at the end by tractors after some heavy weather - happy days.

My last one was the first year police came on site: 1989. The atmosphere at the preceding one was pretty tense I thought: wide spread organised and aggressive selling of poor quality & harder drugs by gangs, increased theft and sexual harassment / intimidation etc. Something felt like it had been lost to me & although a great pity it was little surprise when things changed in 89.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is true but its not so good when the headliners are a bit meh. Also, I think its too crowded, too commercial and too expensive.

Too crowded... possibly. Too commercial? I struggle to see this given the minimal sponsorship* and the fact you can bring as much food and booze into the site as possible. Too expensive? You don't much cash inside as you can bring your own food and booze and the ticket price for 5 days of some top-notch music is very reasonable.

* aside from a few charities, the BBC, The Guardian and a mobile phone company to supply the masts and recharging areas there's nothing.

Sorry, don't agree.

(I'll defend this festival to my last breath though :smile:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Oh I don't know - the line up and music were fairly incidental for me. Like many I just wandered about quite randomly - if I managed to see someone I liked / wanted to it was often more down to chance than any ability to follow a plan. My best memories are almost all related to stumbling across unexpected events. If I ever made a list of the bands I missed because of this it would probably make some weep but I would not change a thing.

Think I was at 85 & 86 too.I remember one early one where we parked our van on the main stage field right next to a friendly sulphate tent & had be towed out at the end by tractors after some heavy weather - happy days.

My last one was the first year police came on site: 1989. The atmosphere at the preceding one was pretty tense I thought: wide spread organised and aggressive selling of poor quality & harder drugs by gangs, increased theft and sexual harassment / intimidation etc. Something felt like it had been lost to me & although a great pity it was little surprise when things changed in 89.

Did you ever go to Stonehenge? Now that was something else! We went to the last two before they were shut down by the authorities.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Yeah but Fela Kuti. I'm far too young to have seen him

I'd imagine Dr John was brilliant as well.

Fela Kuti: I think he played one or two magnificent songs for what felt like hours (in a good way). No idea what the songs were without looking them up. I had been introduced to him by my brother in law & had not taken much notice but this set sealed the deal. Headlined the Sunday night closing slot I think.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Did you ever go to Stonehenge? Now that was something else! We went to the last two before they were shut down by the authorities.

Sadly not. I remember it being discussed but we didn't follow through with it - not sure why. What were they like in comparison to 80s Glastonbury & The Elephant Fayre (if you did any of the latter)?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here