Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glass hammers, tartan paint etc

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Nicked from another forum...

Sent new bar man to pub up road to ask if they had any ice making solution.

He came back and said quite dead pan. "they said they normally just use water"

:lolol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
When I worked In a fitness centre years ago we got the work experience kid out to get some underwater paint to paint the lines on the bottom of the pool. We convinced him you could get paint that allows you to paint the lines while the water was still in the pool.

I wasn't there at the time but the others managed to convince a lad to put a snorkel and flippers on and sweep the bottom of the pool with a broom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWBYP98k28

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Managed to convince my young niece that there was such things as an inflatable dartboard and a solar powered torch. She also believed that her goldfish needed a water bowl when I said it looked thirsty :lolol:

inflatabledartboardleeds.jpg

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Often sent apprentices to the stores to get a "small bas tard file" only for the stores man to send them back with an apology that he only had a bloody big bugger of a file.

Pretty sure I used a bas tard file in metal work classes at school.

I did send the Mrs to the butchers for a pork sword once. She came back looking rather flushed but forgot the pork.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A hotel I worked in it was always the restaurant waiters job to make tea and coffee for the kitchen staff during the shift. The Head Chef once insisted to a new fresh faced waiter that he needed it in a left handed mug. Unfortunately for the waiter all the mugs on the shelf were set up with the handles facing right. He sheepishly went back to explain he could only find right handed mugs.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
A hotel I worked in it was always the restaurant waiters job to make tea and coffee for the kitchen staff during the shift. The Head Chef once insisted to a new fresh faced waiter that he needed it in a left handed mug. Unfortunately for the waiter all the mugs on the shelf were set up with the handles facing right. He sheepishly went back to explain he could only find right handed mugs.

A good one in the catering trade is send someone for a leg of salmon.

I did convince my Wife during the winter Olympics that the reason the Cross Country Skiers had rifles was because of the risk of bear attack.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Pretty sure I used a bas tard file in metal work classes at school.

There my friend is the joke in action. The subtlety of a play on words with the added seasoning of a little accuracy.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Loads from RN days.
One of my favourites was completing the money changing form when in Gibraltar; then seeing how many requested to exchange their pounds for giblets.
Splash target cox'n. Too long to explain here, but some poor gullible unfortunates have been scarred for life with this RN classic.
Malta Dog shoot. As above!
I once had one of my lads on HMS Fearless do a 2 hour fog lookout; we were in dry dock at the time.

Character building stuff.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Tartan breadcrumbs for the Scotch Eggs
Tropical raincoats, another RN one

We had a young shaver in my mess on the Ark Royal who we convinced that he would get a monthly bill for his bunk light usage. He believed it, a d got very irate when he found his light swtched on whenever he was off his pit, and even more so when his (mocked up ) bill was 3times more than anyone elses

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Some good ones - mate of mine got sent to the cake shop/bakers when an apprentice mechanic and one of the delights he had to ask for was a Ginger Quim!!!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
first week as an apprentice I stood like an idiot in Bennets(gone now it was at the bottom of North road) for an hour waiting for the guy to bring me a gable end :lolol::lolol:

I did have the last laugh though when I was told what it is

I went home ................................those were the days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here