Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Interesting to see that Barber comes in for all the criticism, given that he is (almost certainly) told what to do and how to do it (or, at best, it is mutually agreed) by Big Tone...

That’s something Stat Brother is often trying to point out.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
well I've written for fanzines, done podcasts etc but I have to admit I have little to no intention of going to games any more

The Premier League has slowly eroded my passion for the Albion. These days I basically vaguely follow the games, but more via my mates who I share the Albion connection with. I hate watching games on TV (I wasn't watching any non-Albion games anyway) and just can't justify shelling out a small fortune to watch Brighton in person. It's just not worth it for me both in terms of finances but also time. I'll always support Brighton but I'm nowhere near as fussed about it as I used to be, and to be honest that makes me quite sad as it was a big part of my life.

Like many others, I have migrated to non-league and It's re-energised my love of football. It costs a reasonable amount, you can sit/stand where you like, the players are relatable, drink whilst watching the game, doesn't take hours to get there and back, and to be honest the games are quite enjoyable

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting to see that Barber comes in for all the criticism, given that he is (almost certainly) told what to do and how to do it (or, at best, it is mutually agreed) by Big Tone...

Agree. A big policy change like that you would imagine is a board level discussion and agreement. It might be Barber's suggestion, but can't imagine that it is put in place without executive approval.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
well I've written for fanzines, done podcasts etc but I have to admit I have little to no intention of going to games any more

The Premier League has slowly eroded my passion for the Albion. These days I basically vaguely follow the games, but more via my mates who I share the Albion connection with. I hate watching games on TV (I wasn't watching any non-Albion games anyway) and just can't justify shelling out a small fortune to watch Brighton in person. It's just not worth it for me both in terms of finances but also time. I'll always support Brighton but I'm nowhere near as fussed about it as I used to be, and to be honest that makes me quite sad as it was a big part of my life.

Like many others, I have migrated to non-league and It's re-energised my love of football. It costs a reasonable amount, you can sit/stand where you like, the players are relatable, drink whilst watching the game, doesn't take hours to get there and back, and to be honest the games are quite enjoyable
I
I do both - we have so few home games at the Amex on Saturday afternoons there are plenty of weekend with no clash. I do enjoy the non-league stuff

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I had been going to watch the Albion since 1967 and had been a season ticket holder for many years in that time but once we got into the Premier League I slowly got more and more disillusioned with the match day experience. I think that it was mostly that we were in a competition that we never have any chance of winning and the sole aim each season is to avoid relegation. A Cup run would be nice but even winning one of those trophies seems very unlikely.

My last game was as one of the 2,000 attendance v Sheffield United and, having now moved to Cornwall, I knew that I wasn’t going to be renewing my season ticket this year, as I certainly wouldn’t want that commute for a game I probably wouldn’t much be looking forward to.

I won’t subscribe to Sky TV but I do often go and watch the Albion in my local pub when they are on but, as far as I’m aware, there’s only me and one other Albion fan in my village but he’s barred from the pub anyway! So I’m watching on my own, the locals have no interest in an Albion game and they are largely Rugby fans anyway.

Do I watch the games on TV and miss going to watch my team in person? I’m sad to say that I don’t and I can’t see that changing now.

I can certainly understand the original posters train of thought. The whole experience is very different now, even from the exciting days when the Amex first opened, and I’d rather spend my money on something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I had been going to watch the Albion since 1967 and had been a season ticket holder for many years in that time but once we got into the Premier League I slowly got more and more disillusioned with the match day experience. I think that it was mostly that we were in a competition that we never have any chance of winning and the sole aim each season is to avoid relegation. A Cup run would be nice but even winning one of those trophies seems very unlikely.

My last game was as one of the 2,000 attendance v Sheffield United and, having now moved to Cornwall, I knew that I wasn’t going to be renewing my season ticket this year, as I certainly wouldn’t want that commute for a game I probably wouldn’t much be looking forward to.

I won’t subscribe to Sky TV but I do often go and watch the Albion in my local pub when they are on but, as far as I’m aware, there’s only me and one other Albion fan in my village but he’s barred from the pub anyway! So I’m watching on my own, the locals have no interest in an Albion game and they are largely Rugby fans anyway.

Do I watch the games on TV and miss going to watch my team in person? I’m sad to say that I don’t and I can’t see that changing now.

I can certainly understand the original posters train of thought. The whole experience is very different now, even from the exciting days when the Amex first opened, and I’d rather spend my money on something else.

I know the feeling as I moved down West over ten years ago and said to the wife I will do it for one more season back then.
Ten years and still do it but with one of my lads now being a Dad and the other in London on shifts next season we will pick and choose our games to go to together next season as it's an 8 hour round journey for me which is fine for 12.30 and 3.00pm kick offs but as for the rest it's getting back home at Sparrows Fart times

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020

Remind me to invite you to my next dinner party to add a little joviality..............:rock:
PS We are roughly the same age and am a 1960's supporter as well !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I won’t subscribe to Sky TV but I do often go and watch the Albion in my local pub when they are on but, as far as I’m aware, there’s only me and one other Albion fan in my village but he’s barred from the pub anyway! So I’m watching on my own

Is he on here and why did he get banned from the pub? :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Meanwhile my 9-year-old is in his very first season as a ticket holder.... and bored with it. Matches aren't engaging at all. He's barely seen a goal! It's no exaggeration to say that this could put him off live football for life!

My son was looking bored again 20min in on Boxing Day... but two goals did the trick. Seemed to be engaged through the second hafl too.

And then I took him to his first away game at Stamford Bridge. That worked out well too - especially as several of his mates support Chelsea.

Don't want to be greedy, but a win against Palace would help get him fully on board...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some of you lot are going to be gutted to be missing out on European football

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Personally think it’s time to ditch all the pre match nonsense now at the Amex fan zone especially, a recent game can’t remember which a natural atmosphere was building nicely pre kick off they then blasted loud music which completely killed it. When Brentford are on the box it’s cringy as f..k pre kick off we aren’t much better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally think it’s time to ditch all the pre match nonsense now at the Amex fan zone especially, a recent game can’t remember which a natural atmosphere was building nicely pre kick off they then blasted loud music which completely killed it. When Brentford are on the box it’s cringy as f..k pre kick off we aren’t much better.

Taking the positives, Ring Of Fire seems to have been consigned to the dustbin of history hurrah!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Find it hard to believe that anyone that has been with the club since the depths of 92nd place would not be interested in our first away trip in Europe, be it the Europa conference away in eastern Europe somewhere. It could be the one and only time we play a European club competition for the next 121 years.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
People give up their season tickets all the time. About a 1000 don’t renew every year. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. It’s not cheap and it’s a big time commitment for most - it will probably be a tough decision but based on multiple reasons . My Dad night have to give up his next season for example because he’s not very well and one of my sons is reconsidering because he no longer lives in Sussex. And then there will be those that have lost jobs, new kids or kids now at university, and done who have just fallen out of love with their PL, Albion and the whole bottle top, flaskless experience or perhaps it’s TV scheduling, petro dollar owners and the partnerships with gambling or even crypto they turn fans off.

But by far the biggest majority - it’s still 90% plus - do renew. And all of the 1901 have now renewed in full for 3 x 5 year terms. And Albion have a LOT of season ticket holders - more than the clubs around them.

And it’s that story I wish got heard more on NSC - most people do renew. And for lots of reasons - the club has thousands of new season ticket holders every year - who are often kids and still as much fans as much as Goldstone or Gillingham veterans.

Clearly post lockdown season , there’s been real problems with both atmosphere and filling seats , even if sold. Hard to tell if that’s a long term problem. My view is that it’s probably temporary but too early to say. If you stop going then the habit can go …

But let’s reflect more in threads like this that aside from the very valid worries and concerns (and obviously that’s going to attract most of the posts and argument on NSC) - that the vast majority of Albion fans renew season tickets, attend matches, are thinking of going to more games not less and very much intend to keep doing so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here