Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Give Me A Song That...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Some great songs on here and plenty of variety.

I dismissed the reggae based ones as the beat is quintessentialy Jamaican imo, enjoyed them though! :smile:

Putting aside my default mode of going for 60s and 70s songs. I had never heard this before but it struck a note as a more modern quintessential song. It was swung by the fact that my granddaughter’s favourite teddy is called Jamie T

Over to you [MENTION=473]Barnet Seagull[/MENTION]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some great songs on here and plenty of variety.

I dismissed the reggae based ones as the beat is quintessentialy Jamaican imo, enjoyed them though! :smile:

Putting aside my default mode of going for 60s and 70s songs. I had never heard this before but it struck a note as a more modern quintessential song. It was swung by the fact that my granddaughter’s favourite teddy is called Jamie T

Over to you [MENTION=473]Barnet Seagull[/MENTION]

The Reggae ones may have a beat that originated in Jamaica, but the two tracks are 100% quintessentially British. So much so they could not have been created in any other country. They document the British Afro Caribbean experience superbly.

To go off on a tangent, see 'Lovers Rock'. A genre created way before 'Brit Pop', very much our own, and one so influential it even bounced back to where it originated from. :)

Anyway, judges decision is final and good choice on the winner nonetheless :thumbsup:. I look forward to the seeing what is set for us next.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I dismissed the reggae based ones as the beat is quintessentialy Jamaican imo,

There is nothing more quintessentially British than nicking stuff off other countries. :lolol:

I'd also mention that the beat from virtually all rock music is quintessentially Afro-American.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t think of a song that I’d call frustrating. I can think of plenty I like, don’t like, annoy or bore me. I’ll keep thinking :smile:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've heard songs that frustrate me because they start off great but then go absolutely nowhere. Or start off great then go all Rock and introduce a bloody screeching electric guitar.

Can't think of any off the top of my head though as they don't last long in my memory when they frustrate.

If I'm being really controversial, I could mention the whole Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders album, but that might be a tad harsh as it's still a definite keeper.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Levis advert came out and the excerpt from this sounded great. Then the single was released and it turned out that it sounded good because Arthur Baker had sped up the awful dirge they had recorded to make it less tedious. After the intro. the song reverted to it's natural speed and it was terrible. Didn't stop it getting to number one or being all over the radio for weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCbAEkfXSDE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here