Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Give Me A Song That...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Give me a Christmas song that doesn’t make you reach for the off button…tough call I know :smile:

The definitive Xmas album in this household

I just wanted to add that in truth, this question was asked and answered. Nobody has and nobody ever will beat Spector's 'A Christmas Gift For You'.
The sound produced by Spector and The Wrecking Crew (the musicians who later recorded the greatest album ever made for Brian Wilson) has become Christmas. If any film or TV director/producer over the last four or five decades has wanted to set a Christmas mood, they go straight to this album and lift something.

The Mariah Carey tune that millenials seem to think is the best Christmas song of all time was a deliberate pastiche of the sound of this album, the intent is obvious. She even covered Darlene Love's 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)' on the same album. 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is a decent song, but it is lifted to something special because of the accuracy of the homage in the production. In using that sound, the producers were burrowing into our subconscious and saying 'Listen, this is the sound of Christmas' and we all understood without having to consider for a second.

Spector's album bombed when first issued. Not helped by being released on 22/11/1963, the day that JFK was shot. However, it survived it's troubled start and thrived because it's a wonderful, heart lifting sound that is made by the melting pot that is America: Songs written by Brits, Germans, Nashville country songwriters & genius Jewish composers from Tin Pan Alley; Music inspired by the Rock & Roll that came out of the mash of African delta blues with European folk music; Sung by mainly black singers from the church and street singing traditions of doo wop, with a few Italians and Armenian/Native Americans thrown in (Sonny and Cher are both on there somewhere). The musicians mainly come from the tradition of jazz: With blues and country, the USA's third gift to the future of music.

Every household should have a copy. I own several copies just in case. If you are stuck for a stocking filler for anyone that doesn't own it. Buy it and give them the sound of Christmas. You can probably get it for about a fiver and anyone with a human soul will thank you.

No, I haven't been drinking, I've just been playing it and it's just so damned good.

Before someone says it: Yes, the album doesn't excuse Spector's murder of Lana Clarkson, but duality is real and the human experience is complex. It's a hard truth that the most inspring and uplifiting things humans produce can be wrapped up with the most troubled of people and the most horrendous of actions.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have my own playlist on Deezer that I call, Feel Good. I put it on from time to time to lift my spirits, and this is pretty much top of that list.

Goes even better with the video too, as that enhances the feel good factor. Love the way Brittany Howard keeps cropping up in it from time to time too.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Probably a nostalgia thing, as I loved this when it was on the radio when i was a kid. The Alton Ellis and Trinity pre-cursors are brilliant too, but Althea and Donna's one hit wonder never fails to put me in a good mood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here