Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gillingham FC.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I've always filed Gillingham in the "bad smell" category, along with Bournemouth and Reading. I've never liked them, but then I met a really nice guy from East Grinstead who followed them and whose dad was the chairman of the supporters club in the 80s and 90s. Since then I've very much mellowed towards them.

This is not going to be a popular view, but what is the point of a contract if you can expect to break it when it no longer suits you? Gillingham weren't exactly rolling in money at the time (they were yo-yoing between the Championship and league one on gates of 6,000), so I'm not sure it's the worst thing in the world for Scally to expect the contract to be seen out really.
Just read what you wrote twice , not sure who you really support ? .

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
For all the poor form they are in they have a fabulous chance of progressing through to the last eight of the Caribou Cup this midweek, playing a slipshod Wolverhampton outfit who haven't played for more than a month.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well to be fair, we did kill their centre forward in 1934, so perhas we shouldn't be too vitriolic about them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The amount of fans now that say they went to Gillingham is laughable on social media.
Our attendances were what, 1500-2000 ish if I remember correctly, with the odd bigger gate. I would have thought it was mainly pretty much the same people (certainly always the same faces in The Cricketers etc). That’s still 2,000 odd people though, quite a few really.

Have to say I really enjoyed the two years there as well. It didn’t take that much longer to get there than Brighton did for me, and the whole ‘things can only get better’ vibe was fun. Football was dire, but I’ve never really gone to football for the quality of football, so it didn’t bother me too much.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Quite a few fans only went once or twice, including the fans love in when we had that horrendous goalless draw against Doncaster.
I went there once and it was to that game. I went because Brighton and Hove buses offered a deal of a quid return trip.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Quite a few fans only went once or twice, including the fans love when we had that horrendous goalless draw against Doncaster.
Our attendances were what, 1500-2000 ish if I remember correctly, with the odd bigger gate. I would have thought it was mainly pretty much the same people (certainly always the same faces in The Cricketers etc). That’s still 2,000 odd people though, quite a few really.

Have to say I really enjoyed the two years there as well. It didn’t take that much longer to get there than Brighton did for me, and the whole ‘things can only get better’ vibe was fun. Football was dire, but I’ve never really gone to football for the quality of football, so it didn’t bother me too much.
These periods in history shouldn’t be forgotten yet I don’t like the way it’s used to bash newer fans of the club as some kind of self righteous hammer. Newer fans are entitled to have a moan about things just as the older fans did back in the day.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The amount of fans now that say they went to Gillingham is laughable on social media.
Well, we did. 4 season tickets in the Gordon Road Stand. You could sit where you liked but we tended to arrive early and take 4 in the back row just to the left of the halfway line (as you look at the pitch). We once arrived and sat in the ones just along exactly on the halfway line, just for a change, but the fella who usually sat there looked so stressed when he arrived that we moved for him.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
These periods in history shouldn’t be forgotten yet I don’t like the way it’s used to bash newer fans of the club as some kind of self righteous hammer. Newer fans are entitled to have a moan about things just as the older fans did back in the day.
Is it not , used in a way to compare and curtail entitled expectations now Rather than the hammer you mention ?
we were fecking shite during our tenure @ the Pissfield
jamie moralee s Red card stands out for me
Rod Thomas diving save a highlight
it was definitely a black humour required to get us through it during those 2 years to keep Us travelling to watch that mess
probably No worse than what preceded it tbf all thing’s considered

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Didn't go to Gillingham ( yes, I know, bad fan ) but I hope they don't get relegated as they were my late dad's team. Always kept an eye on their results and table position.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Well, we did. 4 season tickets in the Gordon Road Stand. You could sit where you liked but we tended to arrive early and take 4 in the back row just to the left of the halfway line (as you look at the pitch). We once arrived and sat in the ones just along exactly on the halfway line, just for a change, but the fella who usually sat there looked so stressed when he arrived that we moved for him.
Us too. First time we became season ticket holders was our exile in Gillingham - mainly so that we would be guaranteed seats on moving to Withdean. I’ve nothing against the Gills. Our time there was part of our history and at a time when we’d never dream of having one of our team playing in the World Cup, let alone 8. Went back to the Priestfield recently for our pizza cup match and I felt quite sad for them as it feels they’ve never really moved on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can’t help but feel little sympathy - given how they viewed us and Scallys nonsense comments I seem to recall… oh well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First English team I saw on TV (they showed a game once a week on Swedish TV but couldn't afford PL rights)... Gillingham vs Grimsby in the 00/01 season. Don't remember who won it... only things I remember is thinking the quality was a fair bit from the Euro 2000 tournament and that the tiny old man in the Gillingham midfield appeared to be exactly everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here