Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gillingham FC.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Surely there's a rewriting of history by some here, or short memories? We had the chance to play at Brighton but Scally wouldn't allow us without a paying off the contract. He had been making lovely comments prior to that about helping out. Helping? No way was he interested in that, only if the helping was helping himself. I stood in their ground a couple of years later and looked at the stand we'd paid for. Can't abide them. I hope, like Pompey and palace, that they sink and don't leave any trace.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Surely there's a rewriting of history by some here, or short memories? We had the chance to play at Brighton but Scally wouldn't allow us without a paying off the contract. He had been making lovely comments prior to that about helping out. Helping? No way was he interested in that, only if the helping was helping himself. I stood in their ground a couple of years later and looked at the stand we'd paid for. Can't abide them. I hope, like Pompey and palace, that they sink and don't leave any trace.
I don't think its a rewriting of history, i think maybe we're talking about two different things. I think you're spot on the Scally is w****r. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who'd disagree with you.
I was just saying I think there's a lot negativity to towards Gillingham because a lot of our fans regard those years as awful years to have been following the Albion, and my point was, "it wasn't that bad going there".
But again you are right, Scally is a scummer and did try and bleed us dry.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If the contract stipulated a payment for early release then I don’t see the problem. It’s how player contracts, mortgages and every other contract works. Anyway, I enjoyed those years. The kids were pre school and a few memories stuck in the mind like Gary Hart scoring when put through 1 on 1 on the keeper with me willing him on for my daughters as he was their hero. Parking in the same road as the ground was a refreshing change and we always had fish and chips pre game from that chippie in Gordon Road. The memory of the kids fast asleep in their seats in their BHA fleeces at a cold, evening game is also clear in my mind. Away days there in the 80s were also enjoyable although a very different atmosphere.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The other thing about Paul Scally, is yes he is a hate figure, but in all honesty I don't think I've even given him a thought in about 20 years. He's so irrelevant to us as a club now, he just a nasty little footnote hidden somewhere in our past.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think its a rewriting of history, i think maybe we're talking about two different things. I think you're spot on the Scally is w****r. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who'd disagree with you.
I was just saying I think there's a lot negativity to towards Gillingham because a lot of our fans regard those years as awful years to have been following the Albion, and my point was, "it wasn't that bad going there".
But again you are right, Scally is a scummer and did try and bleed us dry.
Totally agree, they are two different things. Like others we, as a family, look back at those Gillingham years with real fondness. I've posted on here before about how we'd combine a trip to Gillingham with a visit to my wife's parent in Orpington. We'd go to Orpington for lunch, then me, the kids and my father-in-law would drive to Priestfield for the match leaving my wife and her mum to have a chat. Then we'd come back to Orpington, cold, tired and usually pissed off to be cheered up by a roaring fire, a pot of tea and a plate of sandwiches. Seriously, they were great days for us and we often remiss about them fondly.

Scally on the other hand can f*** right off.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
i think I missed about only two or three games the whole time we were there. It was a dreadful journey, a dreadful town full of dog shit, a dreadful stadium and the most dreadful team we ever had. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world but it is a closed door, which is what they should do with their stadium, club and chairman.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I've always hated Gillingham with a passion. I think it's down the Meridian TV always talking about them like they actually mattered in the early 2000s.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just think what the story of Manchester City might have been, if Gillingham had been able to hold onto their 2-0 lead in the second division play-off finals in 1999, instead of conceding two in stoppage time and losing on penalties.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've always filed Gillingham in the "bad smell" category, along with Bournemouth and Reading. I've never liked them, but then I met a really nice guy from East Grinstead who followed them and whose dad was the chairman of the supporters club in the 80s and 90s. Since then I've very much mellowed towards them.

This is not going to be a popular view, but what is the point of a contract if you can expect to break it when it no longer suits you? Gillingham weren't exactly rolling in money at the time (they were yo-yoing between the Championship and league one on gates of 6,000), so I'm not sure it's the worst thing in the world for Scally to expect the contract to be seen out really.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not sure i really understand the hate for Gills. I cant say it was a particularly lovely part of the country but our time up there was never as bad as a lot of people make out. I quite enjoyed our seasons up there. The football wasn't brilliant (although there was a great spell under horton), but it was cheap and a good laugh.
Quite, it was a difficult time for everyone connected to the club, and it's true that us fans weren't given the best of receptions up there, but at least it was somewhere to play.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Why are the supporters against Scally. Surely he has kept them going all these years. Not much money if any for him to take out of club

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If Kent is the Garden of England, then Gillingham is the cesspit.

Scally is somewhat of a 'closed book', his rise to power is somewhat shrouded in mystery, on the Friday he was a photocopier salesman on the Monday he was the 'millionaire saviour' of the Gills.

At the time, given his alleged membership of the same Masonic Lodge of a notorious South East London crime figure it was suggested in certain quarters, including the late Tony Millard, that he was the front man for the said person to quote 'launder funds from previously stolen gold bullion', the reason that apparently it never came to light is that then it would involve victims of Mr X making claims against the football club as an asset.

This was long before the days of Peter James but even back then on our numerous trips up the 23 and around the M25 with Mr 0898 it all sounded a bit far fetched.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've always filed Gillingham in the "bad smell" category, along with Bournemouth and Reading. I've never liked them, but then I met a really nice guy from East Grinstead who followed them and whose dad was the chairman of the supporters club in the 80s and 90s. Since then I've very much mellowed towards them.

This is not going to be a popular view, but what is the point of a contract if you can expect to break it when it no longer suits you? Gillingham weren't exactly rolling in money at the time (they were yo-yoing between the Championship and league one on gates of 6,000), so I'm not sure it's the worst thing in the world for Scally to expect the contract to be seen out really.
I think it was Scully and the contradictory statements he made prior to us signing the contract and then after when we got the opportunity to stay in Brighton. His actions caused thousands of fans a lot of hassle and cost our club dearly. He wanted to look like the hero but in the end he was just a businessman.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I cannot claim to have attended games at Gillingham but I do recall that they took us in at a time when we had been turned over and had no home to go to. No doubt we had to pay for that privilege but it kept the club alive.
For that reason alone I would be sorry to see them drop out of the league.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Can remember seeing The Late Brian Moore entering The West Stand for a night match. However didn't P/S push for The Albion to be expelled from the league?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here