Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gigs in Brighton General Thread

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
This has probably been tried before, but it's occurred to me that whilst you get snippets about people going to gigs around Brighton, other than some higher profile events most go fairly unnoticed.

Therefore, hopefully with one place to discuss upcoming gigs, review gigs that have just happened and generally discuss the Brighton musical scene, we'll find out who's going to what, what's worth seeing, who was good and who was shit, and perhaps even recognise a few faces in the smaller venues around the city.

The main reason I did this was because last night I went to the Beach House gig at The Haunt last night and thought "I bet there's a few NSCers here" and would be interested to hear thoughts. For me it was a pretty special gig (other than being stuck at the back due to not realising they were going to be on at 8:30!), the new songs worked really well and it genuinely felt like an intimate show with big things to come. Seen them a few times before but Victoria Legrand's voice never ceases to amaze me!

If anyone was at the recent Lower Dens or Sharon Van Etten gigs I would also be interested to hear what you thought!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was there last night too. Luckily I'm six feet four but my missus who is 5 foot 6 could see bugger all as like yourself we turned up just as the band were coming on. Went upstairs for the final six tracks which is a superb vantage point if you can get a clear view. I'll echo your comments great gig and the second album sounds even better live.

I'll be returning to haunt in July to see Destroyer and looking at getting tickets for the dome for Richard hawley and orbital later in the year.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I was there last night too. Luckily I'm six feet four but my missus who is 5 foot 6 could see bugger all as like yourself we turned up just as the band were coming on. Went upstairs for the final six tracks which is a superb vantage point if you can get a clear view. I'll echo your comments great gig and the second album sounds even better live.

Didn't even know there was an upstairs! Were there lots of people up there or were you just milling about with a perfect view?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Didn't even know there was an upstairs! Were there lots of people up there or were you just milling about with a perfect view?

Plenty of room but very difficult to get a clear view still. You are almost directly above the band so if you can get to the venue early I would recommend giving it a go.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was at the Beach House gig last night.

Going to see Destroyer as well, and would quite like to see Orbital as their new album is GREAT.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's signed another year with United hasn't he? Seems pretty settled in the north, can't see him playing here, but could do a job I expect.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
As for gigs coming up, I am going to see Andrew Bird at Theatre Royal, which I'm very excited about as we have decent seats (so we'll actually be able to see!), plus he's pretty special live. Am gutted I can't go to Liars, but given it's because I'm at Primavera in Barcelona I'm not moaning too much. Will try and go to David Thomas Broughton - got into him after seeing him support Shearwater at the Freebutt a few years back and would like to see him again. Tempted to go to Wedding Present at Concorde 2 as they're playing Seamonsters. Also plan on going to Dan Deacon and Spiritualized later in the year.

EDIT: How could I forget, Lightyear at The Haunt. Used to love going to ska punk gigs at Concorde 2 in my teenage years, so this will be very nostalgic (even if they might be a bit shit!).

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Time and space machine play at sticky mike's frog bar on 1st june .......set lazer to stun!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I went to see Westlife at the O2 last night. You'll have to move quick if you want to catch them as it's the Farewell Tour, and unfortunately they're not coming to Brighton (no proper bands do). But if you are happy to spend an hour on the train, a feast of legendary 90s and 2000s chart toppers awaits. The boys opened with What About Now before performing an encore of World Of Our Own and Flying Without Wings. Of course, they left to a standing ovation from the 16,000-capacity audience, many of whom were noticeably in tears at some of the heartbreaking goodbye videos Nicky, Kian, Shane and Mark had filmed for the big screens. Despite previous reports, I found the O2 to have a decent atmosphere and good acoustics. I'm not one for standing up or getting too close to any of my fellow fans, so the laid-back nature and comfortable seats were just the ticket. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this game. 9.5/10.

dross & not Brighton as per thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gigs coming up in Brighton: Rufus Wainwright, Frank Turner, Sparks, PIL, poss Dan Deacon and Fatboy.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here