Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Getting grumpy with the people who sit around you.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don’t need to be clearer, self policing doesn’t have to mean acting like the Equaliser and wading in. If you are that bothered ask them to stop and if you get any grief, report it to a steward.

Honestly think there is far more important things to worry about but if it does worry you that much then do something about it because moaning on a forum won’t change anything.

People shouldn’t have to "self police" FFS. And there’s a risk in snitching to a steward about the behaviour of the bloke you’ll be sitting next to for the next 9 months or so. There’s a much simpler solution — these selfish people should comply with the rules or not bother coming. It’s as simple as that.

And the benefit of talking about it on a forum is that some people who do it might read it, and become aware that their behaviour isn’t ok with everyone.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
A very polite, agreeable, friendly guy occasionally vapes right next to me and I could care less. He is EXTREMELY conscious and considerate about it, does it very discreetly, to point I don’t think anyone else has even noticed, by breathing out into his woolly hat/sleeve etc, so I take no issue with it at all and congratulate him on his efforts to give up what is a truly disgusting/unhealthy habit. He has my respect, not judgement! None of us is perfect and we ALL have habits others do not. If he was anti-social/inconsiderate/rude about it, very different story!
He doesn’t sound THAT agreeable, friendly and polite to me.

But much worse… why say you "could care less" when you actually mean the opposite, that you couldn’t care less? This American abomination must cease, and must cease NOW!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The main source of annoyance near me are the two blokes in the row above who, from the very start of the game, are squawking:

Rubbish!
Referee!
That is A JOKE!
Book 'im!
Get 'im off!
That is A DISGRACE (channeling Thick Lizzie)

Rinse and repeat.

Never anything positive. Never anything clever or amusing. Never anything celebratory. Just endless whining and negativity. Like costant scraping of fingernails down a blackboard.

I had a scowl at one of them last week and he did manage a sheepish smile. So he knows he's being a prick. But I guess he thinks he's paid his money and can do what he likes. I suspect my neurodiversity is the reason why it (and so many other things, so many) annoy the f*** out of me. Oh well. Never mind. :lolol:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

But much worse… why say you "could care less" when you actually mean the opposite, that you couldn’t care less? This American abomination must cease, and must cease NOW!!
Well, that says plenty about you, and none of it good IMO.

…keep your nickers on. Not intentional.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
One day we'll all be allowed a pint in hand at our seats (well - I can dream)
Not sure that's a good idea. You'd constantly get people pushing past to go to the bar or the bog. And there'd be beer flying through the air when a goal is scored.
I just want a set up where I can get a beer at half time, which appears to be beyond the imagination of anyone at the club or the caterers.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not sure that's a good idea. You'd constantly get people pushing past to go to the bar or the bog. And there'd be beer flying through the air when a goal is scored.
I just want a set up where I can get a beer at half time, which appears to be beyond the imagination of anyone at the club or the caterers.
It’s the same everywhere though. Quite simply when several thousand people all want something at exactly the same time it is very difficult to satisfy the demand. I don’t usually buy anything at half time.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing

Don't get me started on Americanisms, I'll go on for hours. Is there a separate thread for that?

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
It’s the same everywhere though. Quite simply when several thousand people all want something at exactly the same time it is very difficult to satisfy the demand. I don’t usually buy anything at half time.
In the early day at the Amex, the WSU had a mobile bottle bar selling plastic bottles of beer and nothing else. In a cashless environment, tap your card and get given a bottle with the top taken off. You'd get through dozens of people in minutes

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In the early day at the Amex, the WSU had a mobile bottle bar selling plastic bottles of beer and nothing else. In a cashless environment, tap your card and get given a bottle with the top taken off. You'd get through dozens of people in minutes
Our ST were in WSL up to 2021 and I think they had those at least up to that point (maybe still there). A lot of people still seemed to be queuing at the kiosks for beers though.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It works well in Germany. People aren’t refilling glasses every 5 mins. Also, you pay 1 or 2 euros deposit on a nice tough plastic container with an open handle so that a) you can safely carry at least 4 half litres in each hand and b) no one throws the beer or glasses as they want to get their cash back (or they do what I used to do and opt to take mine home as a memento— they're usually embossed with the regional brewery name and sometimes the local team badge). You also get mobile beer sellers wandering round the stands with a tank of beer on their back. I can see why it might sound chaotic but it really isn’t, and any extra movement down the row seems to be offset by the much reduced traffic in the half hour around half time. All that said, you have to ask whether the average British football fan could be trusted to follow a few simple courtesies. On the basis of this thread, perhaps not.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I forget my username's a bit weird.

It was all so (after much lurking), I could make a 'witty' first post when I finally created an account. It was at the time Wacko Jacko died, so I replied to a thread about him, as his departed spirit.

Oh, how we laughed...

Maybe people now think I'm some kind of super fan, when it's not the case at all.

Oh well.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It works well in Germany. People aren’t refilling glasses every 5 mins. Also, you pay 1 or 2 euros deposit on a nice tough plastic container with an open handle so that a) you can safely carry at least 4 half litres in each hand and b) no one throws the beer or glasses as they want to get their cash back (or they do what I used to do and opt to take mine home as a memento— they're usually embossed with the regional brewery name and sometimes the local team badge). You also get mobile beer sellers wandering round the stands with a tank of beer on their back. I can see why it might sound chaotic but it really isn’t, and any extra movement down the row seems to be offset by the much reduced traffic in the half hour around half time. All that said, you have to ask whether the average British football fan could be trusted to follow a few simple courtesies. On the basis of this thread, perhaps not.
Quite, there is no way on earth the minority of UK football fans would respect their fellow fans and would more than likely result in punch ups in the stands. At least on the concourses you can mostly avoid the beer chuckers it much harder when restricted to your seats.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Edgbaston cricket in the Hollies stand, where drinking is pretty much compulsory had it sussed at lunch and tea (certainly pre-lockdown, not been since). Limit number of pints to four per punter, pre pour draft beer and then have a mixture of bottle sellers and mobile guys with draft beer in big back packs on the outdoor concourses. Don't think I ever missed any play due to being late back from either break. Missed quite a few recycling said beer but that's a different story.....

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Totally disagree with this attitude, and not sure why you'd want to be so accommodating. Bollocks to the antisocial gits. If people have to do this filthy sh1t then just do it in permitted places. Not that hard an instruction to follow, surely.
Totally agree.

On Saturday the chap I sit next to said did I mind if I moved along a seat (from my season ticket seat), so his mate could sit next to him (his mate had a ticket further along the row). I've done this a few times before and don't have an issue with it as such if it's do-able.

BUT ... his mate had clearly been on the beers ... was sat there in his seat legs wide apart making the area a little uncomfortable ... but was also vaping (trying to do it in a way that no one would notice)!

What went through my mind was if someone reported him for vaping ... and the club thought it was me!

I've never smoked and hate people smoking/vaping near me.

I didn't say anything at the time as I had my son with me and the bloke had tats and muscles and was a bit intimidating! And I don't like confrontation!

Hoping this 'mate' isn't there for the Newcastle game and I might just have to have a word with the season ticket holder in the seat next to me.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I don’t need to be clearer, self policing doesn’t have to mean acting like the Equaliser and wading in. If you are that bothered ask them to stop and if you get any grief, report it to a steward.

Honestly think there is far more important things to worry about but if it does worry you that much then do something about it because moaning on a forum won’t change anything.
It’s easy saying that but with I’ve got my 9 year old daughter who is a bit timid and even when I shout at the football she gets a bit in her self so confronting 2 West Ham fans in the swc who where also vaping and putting her off football for ever is not the best of ideas .And when i report it to a steward who almost ignores me reporting it to them

SteveU

May 31, 2022
It’s easy saying that but with I’ve got my 9 year old daughter who is a bit timid and even when I shout at the football she gets a bit in her self so confronting 2 West Ham fans in the swc who where also vaping and putting her off football for ever is not the best of ideas .And when i report it to a steward who almost ignores me reporting it to them
I totally understand that, I take my daughter myself and she’s young.

I just don’t think away fans are going read forum and change their ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here