Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a job

Brighton, near 7 dials making everywhere pretty easy to get to

Already worked for my auntie for a year, car washed two summers ago in Co-Op car park making £300+ and coach a football team.

I haven't gone back as I find it far too awkward as I gave my CV to the managers. I'd say I was smart; wore a shirt, clean shoes and didn't pin roll my jeans

I know this is fishing but I think you'd be surprised how thick skinned I am, all developed from being told I'm not good enough at certain clubs when it comes to football

Also forgot who offered (sorry), but the AITC scheme looks like an excellent idea. Sadly I don't have the time to go on holiday, as the football season starts in less than a month and missing training would put my further away from the first team

Which footie team are you playing for?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Getting a job is no longer just a case of sending loads of applications off - you need to be bold.

When you apply for a job online follow it up with a phone call. Build a relationship with a few agencies - phone them a couple of times a week and speak to them, find out what they think of your CV, discuss the job market. You might feel you're being a pest but once you have these relationships in place your name will spring to their mind when they get a new suitable vacancy.

Also be a little pushy. For example, my partner was out of work for six months last year and she applied for a job online. When she phoned the agency she was told that the employer had decided that they had enough candidates for interview. She did no more than point out to the recruitment agent that her skill set exactly matched the required one and that the employer would be missing a great opportunity if they didn't at least see her. Hour later she gets a phone call inviting her for an interview - she then went and got the job !

Good luck - you need to be persistent.

This 1000 times. And I've worked in recruitment for 7 years. People saying "You just need to apply for every job you see" are wrong. That just makes you look like an idiot. Why would you apply for every job you see? I regularly advertise for positions for the market I work in, and sometimes I advertise for consultants to work for me to recruit these people, and I get sent the same load of CV's for every role I advertise, even though the jobs couldn't be any more different. I tend to delete them without reading. You need to make yourself stand out, not do the same thing over and over again which isn't working.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I haven't gone back as I find it far too awkward as I gave my CV to the managers.

This is the main reason why you are being unsuccessful, I promise you. Follow it up with a visit or a call and confidently ask them what they thought of your CV, and reiterate HOW YOU CAN HELP THEM. Not how they can help you by giving you a job.

Without meaning to sound patronising, no other 16 year olds will be doing that, and it will set you apart from the competition.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
whether you worked there or not, whether you met good people, good a some money........There IS alot wrong with Tescos......from top to bottom.

ill start you off with 3...

1. Agressive plotting ruining some nice villages.
2. Terrible quality of food (toxins, colourings, GM, cattle live in horrible conditions)
3. Part of the workfare system.....employ people for £0 a week.
4. and a bonus one.....Zionism.

F**k a doodle do! The conspiracy nuts are back. How was your holiday on Blargon 5 numbnuts?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
whether you worked there or not, whether you met good people, good a some money........There IS alot wrong with Tescos......from top to bottom.

2. Terrible quality of food (toxins, colourings, GM, cattle live in horrible conditions)

So in your esteemed opinion what companies can we/he work for then (seeing as this would be an entry level job) because I would have thought that rules out all supermarkets and most (if not all) major companies throughout the world as they have moral issues if you look deep enough

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So in your esteemed opinion what companies can we/he work for then (seeing as this would be an entry level job) because I would have thought that rules out all supermarkets and most (if not all) major companies throughout the world as they have moral issues if you look deep enough

My guess is the answer will be something along the lines of "You don't need money, its the route of all evil" etc etc. Brunswick is back.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Yes, lets get rid of Tescos and boost unemployment in the country by about 1 Million :facepalm:

This 1000 times. And I've worked in recruitment for 7 years. People saying "You just need to apply for every job you see" are wrong. That just makes you look like an idiot. Why would you apply for every job you see? I regularly advertise for positions for the market I work in, and sometimes I advertise for consultants to work for me to recruit these people, and I get sent the same load of CV's for every role I advertise, even though the jobs couldn't be any more different. I tend to delete them without reading. You need to make yourself stand out, not do the same thing over and over again which isn't working.

Thats the Job Centre for you !! They gave this advice to me so i replied "Ive just seen a job going in Surrey for an Aeronautical Engineer, do you want me to apply for that then despite having no qualifications and experience". They replied "Might as well". The Job Centre dont help you at all, why I stayed away from there at all costs, except to sign on and even then your in and out within 3 minutes.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Harsh out there . Work in a skilled environment . Cv backs it up but the hoops you have to jump through are crazy . Applied for over 80 jobs and rarely heard back from recruiters which I'm convinced was down to the fact I previously earned much more than jobs applying for ( no idea why they need to know this when applying online ) . Anyway , got a lucky break and things are ok but recruiters scum of the earth on the comma front .

Also to add in this period I tried to get temp work rather than claim benefit . Despite beating agencies doors and applying for anything nothing came through as apparently over skilled etc etc . Ended up doing some labouring to get by .

Keep going though and a break will come but for anyone in employment who dismisses how tough and cut throat it is , lets hope you never face redundancy

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

What's your take on B&Q please?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, lets get rid of Tescos and boost unemployment in the country by about 1 Million :facepalm:

Thats the Job Centre for you !! They gave this advice to me so i replied "Ive just seen a job going in Surrey for an Aeronautical Engineer, do you want me to apply for that then despite having no qualifications and experience". They replied "Might as well". The Job Centre dont help you at all, why I stayed away from there at all costs, except to sign on and even then your in and out within 3 minutes.

Doesn't surprise me. If the people in the job centre knew so much about securing a decent job they wouldn't be working in the job centre.

If you're using an agency you need to make that agency want you. If you're good then you're an asset to them. Contacting 15 agencies and applying for every job going is just going to make them see you as not a serious candidate. Recruitment has been bloody tough the last few years, the guys recruiting are finding it just as tough as the guys looking for work.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Not read through the thread so please excuse me if im repeating things.

what do you want to do ? what line of work and are you flexible ?.

Now i can't offer you a job but i take work placement lads (and lasses) to work with me at the Rock Garden, opposite Preston Park in Brighton. The first lad who came to me worked for 8 weeks and i ended up getting him an apprentiseship at Glyndebourne. If you're interested in gardening or want to become interested in it, i'm happy to have a chat with you and we can work something out. As mentioned, it's unpaid work but it's work in a superb environment and you'll learn loads if you want to. it's also starting to get recognised as a prestigeous place to come and work....even if it's a few lines on your CV

This is us https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Same age as you here, in the same situation. I should've started looking in January time but I've left it too late so most of the summer jobs are gone, which is really frustrating. Luckily for me, I do refereeing and sports camps at my local school to earn a bit. But still, would be useful having a job.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
More and more companies seem to be turning to apprentices these days. I'm not sure how to go about finding these opportunities but that is the path I would follow in your shoes.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

Yes, lets keep unemployment down by moving around and selling toxic food that puts family shops out of business.

What's your take on B&Q please?

Seem quite useful really, probably killed off the competition aggressively, but definately provide a healthy service......not Zionism owned unlike Tesco ;-)

====

back to the lad looking for work. also, you don't need to look for a advertised vacancy - find a company or group or whatever that you like - and send them stuff showing how amazing you are, and all you can do for them......offer them a 10 minute presentation of how your going to fill a massive hole they have.

many places dont advertise but actually need people - they don't have time for all the HR/Logistics of hiring someone.

advice- don't get an office job.....it is weird.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I run a personal and social development programme for AITC that might help you. It runs over the summer and will improve your employability. It's also a lot of fun and include 2 weeks of residential trips, one at an outward bound centre. It's only £35 for the whole thing (accom, food, travel, activities).

You get a lot of opportunities to work on key skills and also get to deliver a community project for a charity. All great stuff for your CV.

I've currently got 100 people your age signed up.

It starts soon and we only have a couple of spaces free so you need to move quick.

If you're at a loose end for the summer and want to enhance your CV this could be for you.

PM me if interested.

sounds good, but how is someone out of work going to afford this?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes, lets keep unemployment down by moving around and selling toxic food that puts family shops out of business.

I'd love to hear your links to scientific papers highlighting the toxicity of GM foods?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here