Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a job

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Biggest problem with applicants in my experience (and I have a lot)
is a shoddily-written and badly-layed out CV. Make sure that there are
no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors - get someone to look at it for you....

It immediately gives a poor impression if you don't present yourself in the best
way.

Good luck mate.

Ahem. Badly LAID out CV.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Also edit your cv for every job you apply for. If it's a bar job talk about bar skills and customer service, if its an admin job talk about organisation.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My tip may not be relevant as I found it worked more when I was going for a specific full-time job rather than just trying to get anything for a small period.

I was basically churning out my cv left right and centre to anywhere. I wasn't altering my generic cover letter apart from the job title. I had the opinion that the more people who see it the more likely I was to get an interview. I got nout. Now, of course, that could be a lot of factors, but I honestly believed that it showed that I wasn't taking care over each application.

I changed tactics, sent out maybe one a day after that but spent each time re-writting my cover letter specific to the job and the company (which I researched). In the space of a week I got 3 interviews. I went to the first and got the job.

Again, mine was maybe an example that doesn't help as I wasn't going for a summer job such as you are, but I still believe it shows if you really take time over applications rather than churning them out. If you go through an agecy they will notice if you are submitting 15 a day etc and they will sometimes question you on it.

Feb 12, 2013
Where do you live?
Brighton, near 7 dials making everywhere pretty easy to get to

BTW - how can you have a CV at 16, what's on it, just your name ??
Already worked for my auntie for a year, car washed two summers ago in Co-Op car park making £300+ and coach a football team.

Are you going back to the independents a week or so later and asking if they had a chance to look over your CV?
There's plenty to be said for persistence.
Also are you handing them directly to the manager/owner?

(watch this NSC Stat gets old in one sentence)

Are you also dressed smart, none of this cap round the wrong way, trousers round your knees, showing your pants malarkey.
First impressions count, back that up with a bit of persistence and initiative, and you'll get there.
I haven't gone back as I find it far too awkward as I gave my CV to the managers. I'd say I was smart; wore a shirt, clean shoes and didn't pin roll my jeans

Did it ever cross your mind that you really aren't good enough? If you are getting this down about finding work after just finishing school and looking for a short time, chances are you don't have a thick enough skin for this working game. I say man up and stop whinging or go back to school.
I know this is fishing but I think you'd be surprised how thick skinned I am, all developed from being told I'm not good enough at certain clubs when it comes to football

Also forgot who offered (sorry), but the AITC scheme looks like an excellent idea. Sadly I don't have the time to go on holiday, as the football season starts in less than a month and missing training would put my further away from the first team

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Brighton, near 7 dials making everywhere pretty easy to get to

Already worked for my auntie for a year, car washed two summers ago in Co-Op car park making £300+ and coach a football team.

I haven't gone back as I find it far too awkward as I gave my CV to the managers. I'd say I was smart; wore a shirt, clean shoes and didn't pin roll my jeans

I know this is fishing but I think you'd be surprised how thick skinned I am, all developed from being told I'm not good enough at certain clubs when it comes to football

Also forgot who offered (sorry), but the AITC scheme looks like an excellent idea. Sadly I don't have the time to go on holiday, as the football season starts in less than a month and missing training would put my further away from the first team

Contact them, however I think they already have most of there coaches in place do you have any coaching badges, you will need these. my brother and his friends currently do some coaching for them.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Volunteer at your local hospital until an agency sorts you out, they will be delighted to have you, and will look great on your CV

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'll give you £1.20 to come up and pick up all the dog plop in my street. I'll make you a badge too.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Do a bit of volunteer work, then you've got something to put on your CV.

This. When I was looking for work, I eventually got bored of handing CV's out and sitting on my arse so did a bit of volunteer work for a few months, only for a couple of hours a week. If you get on with who you're working with then they'll only be too happy to give you a decent character reference and put in a good word. Once I'd regrouped and got my next job interview, they spoke to me more about my time volunteering than they did my actual qualifications

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've just taken on a 16 year old part time work 25 hour week for the summer season. I got around 30 CV's when I put a small advert in my shop. Keep trying and it should work out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
At 16 i would go for the voluntary route. You have no workplace experiance which a lot of workplaces look for. I run a small catering team and will not take anyone on who has no catering experiance. I have CV's handed in all the time and i ask each one when they hand the thing over if they have experiance. They look suprised when i hand back the CV and say no thanks. Im not being harsh, I just dont want to waste their time.

If you went to some workplaces and get the managers email or phone number and then email/call and ask if you could come in and volunteer for a few hours a week, it not only looks good on the CV but you may even get a job offer out of it. You will need to have a set amount of time in mind for the voluntary period as they may see you as an easy opportunity to get work done for free.

Good luck though

I have to say, I find that attitude quite harsh.

When I was 16 ( far too long ago now ! ) I walked the length of the seafront asking hotels if they had any jobs. Most had your attitude ( quite how a 16 year old could have any hotel experience was beyond me ) BUT two said yes, we'll give you a chance. I then spent a decade work in hotels and enjoyed every minute of it AND always got very good references. Personally I'd always hire someone on attitude over experience.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
What's wrong with applying online? Most large companies have central recruitment these days, and don't do it from the actual place of work. My company has online recruitment and we get about 10:1 for every job.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I understand times are tough and there are a lot of unemployed people, but getting a job has really been getting me down. I'm 16, just finished school and am looking for a summer job. Every shop I go into either rejects my CV and tells me to apply online, which is literally impossible to find; or they don't get back to me even to tell me that I'm unsuccessful. Just makes me think I'm not good enough and has been getting me down, can anyone help me?

I know the big Tesco out Hove way are always looking for people. Try popping in a CV there.

Best of luck with the hunt, I know from personal experience it's tough getting a first job.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
maybe change the mindset from "i want a job" to "what do i want to put energy into / what do i want to create / what do i want to be a part of / what ideas do i have" .....then run with it....passion will ensure you get going if you have drive and passion.

i mean tescos (poster above) - horrible nasty company you should not even be considering.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The irony to all this is that the place I am currently sub contracted to has vacancies for 2 x apprentices and can't find anyone suitable to fill them and when they think they have, the people just don't tun up on the start date.
Apparently it's like that all the time over here.

Quite a long commute for the lad though.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
maybe change the mindset from "i want a job" to "what do i want to put energy into / what do i want to create / what do i want to be a part of / what ideas do i have" .....then run with it....passion will ensure you get going if you have drive and passion.

i mean tescos (poster above) - horrible nasty company you should not even be considering.

Nothing wrong with Tesco - worked there through college and Uni always got paid on time and had a laugh as I was working with other people my age. What more could you want from a short term job.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Nothing wrong with Tesco

whether you worked there or not, whether you met good people, good a some money........There IS alot wrong with Tescos......from top to bottom.

ill start you off with 3...

1. Agressive plotting ruining some nice villages.
2. Terrible quality of food (toxins, colourings, GM, cattle live in horrible conditions)
3. Part of the workfare system.....employ people for £0 a week.
4. and a bonus one.....Zionism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here