Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] George Floyd trial

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Having now watched it on Court TV (which I am now ADDICTED to), Lieutenant Zimmerman's testimony pretty much shredded the defence's case. He is a high-ranking, experienced, credible witness, and bolstered what I think we and the jurors are all thinking - that it was totally unnecessary for Chauvin to use that level of force, and particularly for that amount of time. If I was Chauvin's lawyer I'd have wanted him off the stand ASAP, I'm amazed how long he questioned him. It did nothing except help the case for the prosecution.

Enjoying your updates as can’t be arsed to watch it - keep them coming. I have my opinion on what I’ve seen and read- hope justice is served, and the truth comes out, whatever that may be.........

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Having now watched it on Court TV (which I am now ADDICTED to), Lieutenant Zimmerman's testimony pretty much shredded the defence's case. He is a high-ranking, experienced, credible witness, and bolstered what I think we and the jurors are all thinking - that it was totally unnecessary for Chauvin to use that level of force, and particularly for that amount of time. If I was Chauvin's lawyer I'd have wanted him off the stand ASAP, I'm amazed how long he questioned him. It did nothing except help the case for the prosecution.

I have been watching it all too. And like yourself I am totally addicted.

The trial in itself is a points scoring excercise between the Prosecution and the Defence. And as you have alluded to in your updates. The Defence Attorney hasn't landed too many blows, whilst the Prosecution would have had a knockout had it been a boxing match.

The " Expert Analysts " on the " Cause of Death " is interesting because that is the only thing that could possibly create a Non Guilty Verdict. Some of them are totally dismissing the case for the Defence because in their eyes they have made it clear that even if the injestation of drugs or underlying health issues played a part in his death. That becomes irrelevant because those underlying health issues were in abetment and that it was the elongated pressure on his neck that either caused his death. Either that or it exhaserbated those conditions causing death. Essentially stating that " Heart Failure " can be the cause of death but something else has to cause the " Heart Failure "

All of that said. All it takes is just one Juror not to convict and I am under no illusions that there will be at least one amongst that 12 that has no interest in Justice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The trial in itself is a points scoring excercise between the Prosecution and the Defence. And as you have alluded to in your updates. The Defence Attorney hasn't landed too many blows, whilst the Prosecution would have had a knockout had it been a boxing match.

The " Expert Analysts " on the " Cause of Death " is interesting because that is the only thing that could possibly create a Non Guilty Verdict. Some of them are totally dismissing the case for the Defence because in their eyes they have made it clear that even if the injestation of drugs or underlying health issues played a part in his death. That becomes irrelevant because those underlying health issues were in abetment and that it was the elongated pressure on his neck that either caused his death. Either that or it exhaserbated those conditions causing death. Essentially stating that " Heart Failure " can be the cause of death but something else has to cause the " Heart Failure "

All of that said. All it takes is just one Juror not to convict and I am under no illusions that there will be at least one amongst that 12 that has no interest in Justice.

On cause of death, the defence are looking to heavily promote Floyds pre-existing heart condition and drug use. But against that, the "eggshell skull" rule will come into play - ie the actions of the defendant make him still directly and fully liable for the consequences, even if the victim has underlying conditions that may have made him more vulnerable than a 'normal' person.

It is SUCH a tall order to somehow get round Chauvins actions as being the cause of Floyds death. I know it goes totally against the grain for a police officer to be charged,let alone convicted. But in this case, the video evidence is so damning, the prosecutions case so solid, and Zimmermans testimony so devastating to the defence's case, I will be genuinely astonished if Chauvin isn't found guilty of 1st/2nd degree murder and manslaughter.

The medical experts are up next week, with the post-mortem analysis. Unless there's a gamechanger in there, I really think Chauvin's goose is already cooked.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
On cause of death, the defence are looking to heavily promote Floyds pre-existing heart condition and drug use. But against that, the "eggshell skull" rule will come into play - ie the actions of the defendant make him still directly and fully liable for the consequences, even if the victim has underlying conditions that may have made him more vulnerable than a 'normal' person.

It is SUCH a tall order to somehow get round Chauvins actions as being the cause of Floyds death. I know it goes totally against the grain for a police officer to be charged,let alone convicted. But in this case, the video evidence is so damning, the prosecutions case so solid, and Zimmermans testimony so devastating to the defence's case, I will be genuinely astonished if Chauvin isn't found guilty of 1st/2nd degree murder and manslaughter.

The medical experts are up next week, with the post-mortem analysis. Unless there's a gamechanger in there, I really think Chauvin's goose is already cooked.

I agree with everything here. Just saying 2nd degree murder is the maximum verdict in this case.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Did you see the analysis of Chauvin's wifes' File for Divorce ?

She filed for Divorce the very next day. But when the application was reviewed. It transpired that she was filing for close to 90% of their Assets and Chauvin was agreeing to it. Consequently the Divorce Application was merely to get all the Assets into his Wife's Name so that they cannot we reached via a Civil Law Suit. So the Chauvin's seem to be able to think quick enough when it comes to protecting their Own Financial Assets. - Thankfully the Courts Rejected the Application for Divorce with that transfer of assets.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

I’m binge watching too many others things ATM, so let’s do role play old son.

I’m a Southern Sound listener, you are Tony Millard.

Succinctly tell me what’s happened so far in a sentence, and then in the next sentence tell me how IYEO you think it’s going to end up? 👍

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

I too have watched nearly all of the trial. When it goes into our evening you can catch up next morning as it is repeated in full.
Loved the way Zimmerman started in '83 and worked his way up finally saying 'yep, I'm the number one now'. But one defence line cut him down saying 'haven't things changed since you started and how criminals are now held whilst under arrest'.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Succinctly tell me what’s happened so far in a sentence, and then in the next sentence tell me how IYEO you think it’s going to end up? ��

[/QUOTE

What's happened so far is the Prosecution and Defence Council has given the Jury and the World a Crystal Ball to physical watch a Murderer take place right in front of their own eyes.

In my opinion how do I think it will end up ?

I think despite everyone witnessing a Murder for themselves with their own eyes. One of the Jury Members will find a way to convince themselves that they didn't actually see what they saw and find him not guilty.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did you see the analysis of Chauvin's wifes' File for Divorce ?

She filed for Divorce the very next day. But when the application was reviewed. It transpired that she was filing for close to 90% of their Assets and Chauvin was agreeing to it. Consequently the Divorce Application was merely to get all the Assets into his Wife's Name so that they cannot we reached via a Civil Law Suit. So the Chauvin's seem to be able to think quick enough when it comes to protecting their Own Financial Assets. - Thankfully the Courts Rejected the Application for Divorce with that transfer of assets.

Nope, I missed that (I'd assume it didn't come up in court). Sounds like he knows he's probably going down then.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Succinctly tell me what’s happened so far in a sentence, and then in the next sentence tell me how IYEO you think it’s going to end up? 👍

Can we do the travel news first?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eric Nelson (Chauvin's lawyer) today: "Every single time an officer responds to a call, there is an inherent risk."

Yikes.

Seemingly so, if you're black I guess.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A key witness for prosecution says George Floyd died from low levels of oxygen rebutting defense arguments that drugs contributed to his death

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/08/us/derek-chauvin-trial#in-their-own-words-pulmonologist-says-mr-floyd-died-from-a-low-level-of-oxygen

This respiratory expert really knows his stuff (as you'd expect). His evidence is so detailed and concise as to the impact on Floyds lungs once he was prone, and with Chauvin's weight on his neck and back - he was having to work 43% harder to breathe. Eventually after four minutes of this his brain was irreversably starved of oxygen.

Everything he has said has been meticulously researched and presented. Another devastating witness for the case of the defence.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This respiratory expert really knows his stuff (as you'd expect). His evidence is so detailed and concise as to the impact on Floyds lungs once he was prone, and with Chauvin's weight on his neck and back - he was having to work 43% harder to breathe. Eventually after four minutes of this his brain was irreversably starved of oxygen.

Everything he has said has been meticulously researched and presented. Another devastating witness for the case of the defence.

I haven't had the chance to see anything today yet as still currently working, so as a means of catching up. How did that witness stand up to cross examination ? Some of the others struggled a bit on cross examination.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I haven't had the chance to see anything today yet as still currently working, so as a means of catching up. How did that witness stand up to cross examination ? Some of the others struggled a bit on cross examination.
I don't think he's been cross examined yet, they're on lunch

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Predictably, Chauvin’s team are trying to portray the atmosphere of a baying mob, scaring Chauvin as he sucked the life out of Floyd.

In reality, during the actual taking of life, there were 2 to 6 unanimated bystanders. One copper was chatting to those folk. None of the police appeared defensive, batons drawn, issuing threats, shouting.

The crowd grew once the killing had taken place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here