Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It could be that the in-camera processing has over-sharpened the bird. Have you got a sharpness setting in your camera menu? If so, check that it's on zero. I assume you shoot in JPEG rather than RAW? Kneon Light is our resident bird photography expert. He will definitely know more about this than I do!
Thanks Jack. Image sharpening is on zero and I'm currently shooting in Jpeg>Fine.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A quick fire hand held snap the other evening on my Nikon P950.

Image almost looks photoshopped to me as it appears very 'flat' with an odd outline. I can't honestly remember if I was already in shutter speed mode, trying to capture birds in flight, or auto mode. Below are the figures:

shutter speed 1/800
100 ISO
62.5mm focal length.

Any experts any idea what's going on here?, and how I could improve upon this next time?
Could the 'flat' outline even be the Heron's markings doing weird things with human eyes against the sky backdrop? After all, it will naturally have markings designed to break up its outline when on the ground and in hunting mode.
View attachment 159516
that's a pretty decent image for that type of camera... i think i remember that you didn't want to shoot raw, I would give it a try to see how it it delivers for you.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
that's a pretty decent image for that type of camera... i think i remember that you didn't want to shoot raw, I would give it a try to see how it it delivers for you.
Thanks. I've certainly got better out of this camera, so I know it's capable of more.

I played with shooting in Jpeg/Raw but I don't really do any post processing and so the sorting of the files on the computer was a big hassle, especially as I was having trouble finding a Linux program to easily view Raw files in.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks Jack. Image sharpening is on zero and I'm currently shooting in Jpeg>Fine.
Experiment with different minus sharpness settings aiming at pidgeons, seagulls or similar-birds that are freely available, and compare results.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
A quick fire hand held snap the other evening on my Nikon P950.

Image almost looks photoshopped to me as it appears very 'flat' with an odd outline. I can't honestly remember if I was already in shutter speed mode, trying to capture birds in flight, or auto mode. Below are the figures:

shutter speed 1/800
100 ISO
62.5mm focal length.

Any experts any idea what's going on here?, and how I could improve upon this next time?
Could the 'flat' outline even be the Heron's markings doing weird things with human eyes against the sky backdrop? After all, it will naturally have markings designed to break up its outline when on the ground and in hunting mode.
View attachment 159516
I think the outline is fine to be honest. With the bird being sharp against the sky and the trees out of focus you often get this "photoshop" effect.
In terms of it being flat I don't think it's too bad. To prevent my images looking flat I use post processing but if you don't want to do that I would simply experiment with sharpness settings etc on the camera.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I took this today in the centre of Rome.

DSC_0732.JPG

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
is this also known as the red lily beetle or are they different? If its the former then whilst photographic they don't live long in my garden (note its one of the few that i get rid off along with aphids )
No, it's a different species. The red lily beetle has a black head whilst the beetle I photographed has a red head. Unlike the lily beetle, it is a predator and eats other insects.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
is this also known as the red lily beetle or are they different? If its the former then whilst photographic they don't live long in my garden (note its one of the few that i get rid off along with aphids )
Different. Cardinal Beetle has tapered wings. Lily Beetle much more rounded and small dimples in the wing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here