Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I haven't quite got used to replying with the new system yet, so sorry about any strange posts.
I'm having the same problem. If you start replying/quoting a post but then decide against it, it still saves it and whacks it in there the next time.

I'm on some other forums that do that too and I still haven't sussed it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No hobby for me I do it for a living afraid.
I did wonder, given the quality of your shots and the places you've travelled. If you go back to Ethiopia and in need of a PA, I'm your man. I've no PA experience mind, but that's a minor detail :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Try it again on manual with setting at 1/100sec or so and no ISO and aperture f4 which i think will be a lot darker and use manual focus to set to infinity . If you can see Jupiter's moons ( usually 4 are picked up of the loads that are there) then you will never see the detail on Jupiter. When you do this the moons will disappear. Images that show both are composite. its a very good test of your camera (for me ;))
I've just had a brief try. It's a bit cloudy so not ideal. Anyway, using the settings you suggest the aperture sets itself at 6.4. Nothing comes out on the photo.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've just had a brief try. It's a bit cloudy so not ideal. Anyway, using the settings you suggest the aperture sets itself at 6.4. Nothing comes out on the photo.
strange ...funnily enough the day after I asked you about this I saw someone post a comparison between P950 and P1000 on Facebook. What he has done is taken a video and then stacked the individual frames which will make it clearer/sharper/more detail. However if he got a video he would have been able to a reasonable single frame image..... it has been very cloudy recently though i was awake at 2:00 am on Sunday and the sky cleared to show an amazing array of stars, orions belt and mars....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
anyway thanks for trying and if you want to persevere then i would suggest reducing the shutter speed to around 1/40 as that will allow a lot more light in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I
anyway thanks for trying and if you want to persevere then i would suggest reducing the shutter speed to around 1/40 as that will allow a lot more light in.
Ok, thanks. I will keep playing around with it. At the moment I've no idea how to upload pics since the NSC switch. I've been trying tonight but they all come up as too big, and no amount of scaling image size works. I then tried sending then from the Nikon to my phone as just 2mp images. That didn't work either as NSC says there's a security problem with the images :lol:

I wish we could have the old NSC back. Everything worked fine then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
DSCN1223_1-min.JPG

I got there in the end using an online file compressor again.

I've posted this from yesterday for a couple of reasons. I'm impressed that this was handheld on full zoom whilst sitting in a field with the P950, just on auto. What is weird though is that it looks somehow 'flat' to me. Almost like it's been photoshopped. I've done nothing to the image bar crop it a bit.

Attachments

• DSCN1223_1-min.JPG
    DSCN1223_1-min.JPG
    879.4 KB · Views: 29

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
View attachment 152951

I've posted this from yesterday for a couple of reasons. I'm impressed that this was handheld on full zoom whilst sitting in a field with the P950, just on auto. What is weird though is that it looks somehow 'flat' to me. Almost like it's been photoshopped. I've done nothing to the image bar crop it a bit.

View attachment 152951

I think that's a pretty decent image if it's the camera at full zoom. You won't get the separation of feathers that you might on a DSLR with a £1500 lense on it partly because of quality but the fact that a very very large zoom. Siskin? Yellow hammer?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think that's a pretty decent image if it's the camera at full zoom. You won't get the separation of feathers that you might on a DSLR with a £1500 lense on it partly because of quality but the fact that a very very large zoom. Siskin? Yellow hammer?
Yeah, Yellowhammer.

I think for my purposes the P950 is a definite keeper and the spotting scope will go. Likely move the Panasonic on too.

Here's another quick effort, again handheld. Lapwings have such stunning colours!
IMG_20221019_233309-min.jpg

I think using a tripod, playing around with shutter speed etc, I'll likely get some sharper images.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That is great image of the lapwing imo but it probably could be a little lighter in the body bit to show more detail and colour which is where the R word comes in . I think the more pics you take the more you become bittern (haha) by that side of things. I am not a photographer I started by wanted to capture some of my wildlife likes and when I did it was only natural to want to do it better. Wildlife is still my primary thing but started getting interested in other subjects e.g. like night sky because it is a challenge because it's completely different and keeps my grey cells ticking over.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
IMG_20221023_173357_2-min.jpg

Extra wide angle on my phone. Taken over Rye Harbour this evening.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, I've edited them quite a bit (good ol' snapseed on my phone!) - but I love the vintage feel these photos have got. I just took them on my phone for a small project I did. The bat was turned by an old craftsman who passed away, & I picked it up on ebay from his niece. Decided to honour his name for such a great piece of craftsmanship, & have sent the seller these photos to show her aunt. Hope they will be pleased with the way it turned out.

bat1.jpg
bat.jpg
bat2.jpg

Last edited:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I know almost nothing about photography or cameras. But Mrs TG has become very keen and pretty accomplished. Her current camera is a Nikon D3300 which she has had for 8 or 9 years. She would like to upgrade her camera. The features which she is looking for are.....light, mirrorless, swing out viewfinder, image stabilisation, bracketing. Probably not full frame and she is doubtful about 4/3, although she wasn't able to really explain why. ( I was given a lesson in all this yesterday, and also some examples to help me start to get over the sticker price shock....I now understand that the cost will be into 4 figures.....:confused: )

She is rather going round in circles. This is a significant purchase but there is no obvious right or wrong choice. Both she and I would like not to spend more than is necessary but enough to meet her needs. ( She is wary of second hand, ebay, etc but not entirely closed minded. )

I would be very grateful if any of the knowledgeable folks on here had any suggestions and advice about how to go about researching all this and deciding on a short list of suitable purchases. And any suggestions of which cameras should be on the list.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here