Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Since Covid hit, and with our home situation, I haven't been able to get out much to take any photos.

So it was yesterday I found myself looking back through my hard drive and found this picture I would like to share. It wasn't taken on safari or anything so grand, but if my memory serves me, at Colchester zoo... I had thought of cropping out the wooden fence rail at the bottom, but think that would have made the head too detached and just floating!

View attachment 148641

Why the long face?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
"Horrible" insects are horrible until you take a photo of them with a macro lens and can then see their hidden beauty.

Brilliant little piece on a macro photographer on first episode of Springwatch this year. He gets some stunning shots!

I wish people would just think of Flies as pollinators in the same way they think about Bees. They might get more love then.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Brilliant little piece on a macro photographer on first episode of Springwatch this year. He gets some stunning shots!

I wish people would just think of Flies as pollinators in the same way they think about Bees. They might get more love then.

That bloke was something else. Amazing shots he produced.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The problem I have with them, is not so much the pollinating, but more the vomiting and shite eating (then spreading).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Went to Castle Hill to do a bit of moth-bothering this evening. One or two reasonable butterfly shots, but the cheeky magpie made me smile.
Orange butterfly is a Dark Green Fritillary.
White one is a Marbled White.

Attachments

• DGF NSC.JPG
    DGF NSC.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Marbled White_1.jpg
    Marbled White_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Magpie on Sheep_2.jpg
    Magpie on Sheep_2.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 84

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Went to Castle Hill to do a bit of moth-bothering this evening. One or two reasonable butterfly shots, but the cheeky magpie made me smile.
Orange butterfly is a Dark Green Fritillary.
White one is a Marbled White.

Loving all of them JS.

Marvellous scenes!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm thinking of paying a visit to Knepp soon as still never been. Keen to take my budget camera and spotting scope along to see what shots I can get. Would be good if I could see the Storks too.

Just watched a YouTube video from a visitor with some lovely shots, especially of the Storks.
He was good enough to mention the gear he was using. Oh, the Nikon Z9 camera body you say? Nice, I'll just check the price on that out of interest.....:wozza:

I didn't bother checking the lenses he was using :lolol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm thinking of paying a visit to Knepp soon as still never been. Keen to take my budget camera and spotting scope along to see what shots I can get. Would be good if I could see the Storks too.

Just watched a YouTube video from a visitor with some lovely shots, especially of the Storks.
He was good enough to mention the gear he was using. Oh, the Nikon Z9 camera body you say? Nice, I'll just check the price on that out of interest.....:wozza:

I didn't bother checking the lenses he was using :lolol:

Knepp's a very interesting place. The last time I went, we booked a table at the Countryman pub, parked in their car park, walked around the estate for three hours, and got back for a beautiful meal and a couple of pints of Harveys.
I've posted this photo before, but here are the storks again. I only had my macro lens, so they're a long way off at the top-left of the tree.

Attachments

• NSC Storks.JPG
    NSC Storks.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 102

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having a clear out of phone photos and found this that I took back in March.
Digiscoped using a Svbony sv406p and a Redmi Note 9 pro.
Used 'pro' mode so I could play around with ISO and shutter speed. No post processing.IMG_20220320_175806-min.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• Humming-bird Hawk Moth_4.jpg
    Humming-bird Hawk Moth_4.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 65

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was just before the last flower opened. Previous best with this plant was 4 flowers. This year, 14 :mad:

orchid.JPG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here