• Other

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 46 8.7%

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would try to gently talk to them about the art of the possible, as opposed to the ideal. I would talk to them about the inherent weaknesses of our current electoral system, and I would encourage them to vote tactically to increase the chance of movement in the right direction, even if no party precisely embodies what they would like to see.

I would also talk about why spoiling the ballot is more powerful than not voting, but the dangers of not voting or spoiling the ballot paper are that this may inadvertently strengthen those who wish to take the country in a direction that’s even further from what they would wish to see.

Change is often hard fought for and incremental over an entire lifetime, that does not make fighting for it less worthwhile. At the end of the day, their choice has to be their own.
A fine reply. I will pass that on.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Never understood the logic behind spoiling ballot papers.

Maybe no party aligns exactly with your ideals. That doesn't make all the other options equally bad.

By not casting your vote it takes one vote less for the worst option to win. A spoilt ballot paper is a free pass, and your great political statement against all sides equally, will be forgotten the moment that the counter puts your paper in the "oh aren't they just so principled?" pile.

I have spoilt every ballot paper on each police commissioners election as I disagree with the whole principle of that election. (Whilst making my point, I've tried to make my contributions amusing as some poor bugger has to read them :wink:)

I've never spoilt my ballot on a regional or national election, because I've always either agreed with the incumbent or haven't, so can't see the point in passively supporting the sitting individual by not voting/spoiling my ballot, but it is people's right and better to spoil than not voting :thumbsup:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
So you think it better to support policies by giving your vote to a party even if you are opposed to that policy just because they may have marginally more policies than another party?

A lot is often made of parties being voted into power so that endorses all their policies, as it's seen as the will of the people however that could mean that they have 6 or 7 populist policies and one that everyone thinks is terrible but they win out so even the terrible one is enacted, even if those who voted are (morally) opposed to it.

I do not want to give any support to a party that has policies i'll be against, no matter if they are slightly closer to my views.

How does voting for something you don't want to see enacted good, or making a positive difference?
As opposed to the imaginary mandate that nobody is offering?

Its an unfortunate reality of our system that we have such little choice.

But a spoilt vote helps nobody, and ultimately won't push the parties closer to your viewpoint, particularly given the current polling. You may as well just not show up.

We choose between the options that are on the menu. Better to choose the more palatable option, lest you be served up something disgusting.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not at all, i certainly didn't and wouldn't vote for them.

Besides, if, as highly likely regardless of whether i vote or not, the Government will be changing and Labour taking over, so how is not voting for any party (there are more than the 2 main ones on the ballot) in any way voting for this current lot?

I'm struggling to understand the difference between 'can't be arsed to vote for any of them' and 'can't be arsed to take responsibility'

But probably just me :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As opposed to the imaginary mandate that nobody is offering?

Its an unfortunate reality of our system that we have such little choice.

But a spoilt vote helps nobody, and ultimately won't push the parties closer to your viewpoint, particularly given the current polling. You may as well just not show up.

We choose between the options that are on the menu. Better to choose the more palatable option, lest you be served up something disgusting.

You think too much of our friend. He said he can't even be arsed to spoil his vote, he's not going to show up :shrug:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm struggling to understand the difference between 'can't be arsed to vote for any of them' and 'can't be arsed to take responsibility'

But probably just me :wink:
It's a bit like a Vegan being asked to choose between having Lamb chops or Pork chops for dinner.

If you don't agree with either choice, why would picking the least bad option be better than not picking either option? If you pick one, that will be seen as a good option for the future and will be there again as an option the next time out go for a meal. If you refuse to eat as neither are a good option, they should adapt and try better to meet your preferences to get your business (or your vote in the case of politics, as voting for them makes it seem they are offering / delivering what is wanted, even if people are only voting for them as the least bad option don't agree with what the party that got their vote is offering)

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I've got a 1939 Bradshaws. many a night plotting how I could have got to Albion matches from Sussex villages.

Reactions: A1X

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Good to see the shy Tories aren't planning to vote this year.

'ThEy ArE aLl As BaD aS eAcH oThEr.' Okay mate. Stay at home. Don't worry about having a say.in how our country is governed for the next five years.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a bit like a Vegan being asked to choose between having Lamb chops or Pork chops for dinner.

If you don't agree with either choice, why would picking the least bad option be better than not picking either option? If you pick one, that will be seen as a good option for the future and will be there again as an option the next time out go for a meal. If you refuse to eat as neither are a good option, they should adapt and try better to meet your preferences to get your business (or your vote in the case of politics, as voting for them makes it seem they are delivering what is wanted, even if people are only voting for them as the least bad option)

As I said above, if the incumbent is your preferred option, then don't vote and get what you want. I'm not sure what your dietary choices have to do with anything :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good to see the shy Tories aren't planning to vote this year.

'ThEy ArE aLl As BaD aS eAcH oThEr.' Okay mate. Stay at home. Don't worry about having a say.in how our country is governed for the next five years.
Absolutely. I know a few "They're all as bad as each other" chaps and they're all ex-Tories looking for a reason to not vote Labour or anyone else. If anyone genuinely thinks that Labour are the same as this batch of Tories, then they're beyond help.

Somethingdean

May 18, 2019
The Conservatives took a warhammer to this country a decade ago but they used way too much force and lost grip of it.
Now the gigantic lump of steel is about to rebound straight back into their unprepared, wistfully nostalgic balls.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
up in Horsham, Lib dems are the only real chance to oust the Tories, that said we've returned a tory MP since 1880, so it's a slim chance

I’m Horsham too. It needs a massive tactical voting and anti-Tory effort to oust Quin. I want Labour to govern but they should stand down here(but won’t) and I’d happily vote Lib Dem to get rid. Still highly likely to be a wasted vote (reform could split vote, of course) but so be it rather than PR and as a minimal at least contributes to the non Tory national vote.

2019 Result
DUGGAN, James Joseph The Peace Party - Non-violence, Justice,
Environment 477
JONES, Michael Gerard Labour Party 9424
POTTER, Louise Liberal Democrats 14773
QUIN, Jeremy Mark The Conservative Party Candidate 35900 Elected
ROSS, Catherine Green Party 2668

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Have to go Labour in Crawley to not get Tory, but I will probably be most aligned with Lib Dem manifesto, I usually am.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I’m Horsham too. It needs a massive tactical voting and anti-Tory effort to oust Quin. I want Labour to govern but they should stand down here(but won’t) and I’d happily vote Lib Dem to get rid. Still highly likely to be a wasted vote (reform could split vote, of course) but so be it rather than PR.

2019 Result
DUGGAN, James Joseph The Peace Party - Non-violence, Justice,
Environment 477
JONES, Michael Gerard Labour Party 9424
POTTER, Louise Liberal Democrats 14773
QUIN, Jeremy Mark The Conservative Party Candidate 35900 Elected
ROSS, Catherine Green Party 2668
The best chance possibly ever for Horsham to not return a Tory. But it's still probably more likely than not going to be Quin.

Electoral Calculus have Horsham down as a rare three-way race but god knows how they work that out on a seat by seat basis.

With a LD majority council now, there are real signs of political will for change in the area. Plus some of the Tory voting bits have transferred to the new East Grinstead seat.

It could happen... Maybe.

Mid Sussex is significantly more likely though.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’m perpetually stunned that there is anyone in 2024 looking at British politics and saying “Yes, this Conservative Party is the party for me.”

How is it possible to carry that much hate for yourself, your country, and everybody in it?

I understand that there are people who will never vote Labour, and that’s fine, the Liberal Democrats exist as a perfectly reasonable centre-right party who aren’t Labour.

If your politics are much further to the right, Reform has your back, they’re there to vote for.

What I genuinely can’t get is anyone watching Rishi Sunak in the rain, as if the British government can no longer afford to host events indoors, and thinking “this incarnation of the Conservative Party is so effective and well-run, another five years of this is EXACTLY what Britain needs.”

I’d be interested in learning whether the IP addresses of those who have voted Conservative actually originated from within the UK. I fear NSC has been targeted in a Russian cyberattack. And @Is it PotG? of course.
Keep up. The LibDems are further to the left and more radical in their thinking than Labour these days. A cynic might say this is because you can afford to be bold and radical when you know you won’t be called upon to implement the policies. Who knows what the various manifestos will come up with but so far there’s been nothing remotely left wing about Starmer. It’s all about maintaining Tory policy to avoid frightening the horses. The leaders’ debates will be fun.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

If you don't agree with either choice, why would picking the least bad option be better than not picking either option? If you pick one, that will be seen as a good option for the future and will be there again as an option the next time out go for a meal. If you refuse to eat as neither are a good option, they should adapt and try better to meet your preferences to get your business (or your vote in the case of politics, as voting for them makes it seem they are offering / delivering what is wanted, even if people are only voting for them as the least bad option don't agree with what the party that got their vote is offering)
Is it a bit like that? You sure?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My manor has seen a constituency change due to a boundary move. It seems I have moved from a really safe Tory seat to a really safe Tory seat with the two main other parties having about the same level of support again.

FML.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here