• Don't know

Votes: 46 8.7%

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Greens …. Brighton Pav, why vote for anyone else? It’s a special thing having a different voice in the Commons.
You better hope that Sian Berry is more Caroline Lucas than Ben Duncan then. Not keen on parachutist candidates from any party.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't get the exceitment. Its like choosing between this current blue coloured shit or having that red coloured shit. Both are just shit at the end of the day. Anything in between, you're having a laugh.
Well this lot have done so much damage to our standing in the world, I'll risk getting rid of them....

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
So more of the same with a different, hopefully more honest, leader. What would you say to a 19 year old whose only response to being told that there is a general election was "what is the best way to spoil a ballot paper?"

I would try to gently talk to them about the art of the possible, as opposed to the ideal. I would talk to them about the inherent weaknesses of our current electoral system, and I would encourage them to vote tactically to increase the chance of movement in the right direction, even if no party precisely embodies what they would like to see.

I would also talk about why spoiling the ballot is more powerful than not voting, but the dangers of not voting or spoiling the ballot paper are that this may inadvertently strengthen those who wish to take the country in a direction that’s even further from what they would wish to see.

Change is often hard fought for and incremental over an entire lifetime, that does not make fighting for it less worthwhile. At the end of the day, their choice has to be their own.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I didn't say entertaining. I said least dull. Even John "election expert" Curtice has described them as "dull as dishwater".
I would like to be inspired. Is that too much to ask?
He’s an ignorant pig then, it’s ditchwater!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would try to gently talk to them about the art of the possible, as opposed to the ideal. I would talk to them about the inherent weaknesses of our current electoral system, and I would encourage them to vote tactically to increase the chance of movement in the right direction, even if no party precisely embodies what they would like to see.

I would also talk about why spoiling the ballot is more powerful than not voting, but the dangers of not voting or spoiling the ballot paper are that this may inadvertently strengthen those who wish to take the country in a direction that’s even further from what they would wish to see.

Change is often hard fought for and incremental over an entire lifetime, that does not make fighting for it less worthwhile. At the end of the day, their choice has to be their own.

:bowdown:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The problem with these polls on NSC is that most of us share many of the same views and as such the results of any poll are in no way representative of the electorate at large
Given the only unifying feature of people on the forum is that they support Brighton (with a few exceptions), I'd guess it's not that far off representative.

The results as I'm writing this are only a bit more skewed towards Labour than actual national polls suggest at the moment.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Where is the "tell them all to go f*** themselves" option.

Six weeks of endless mindless innanities, lies, name-calling, insults,promises they can't keep, gurning at photo opportunities.

SIX WEEKS

:drama:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Given the only unifying feature of people on the forum is that they support Brighton (with a few exceptions), I'd guess it's not that far off representative.

The results as I'm writing this are only a bit more skewed towards Labour than actual national polls suggest at the moment.

I would expect an unusually high Green vote given Brighton has a green MP, but other than that I would agree :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But you know and I know, Labour are going to win regardless of Sir Peter holding Worthing West, but I will be far happier for at least the first 5 years of ’The Wonderful World of Sir Keir’ if he’s still representing the people (well at least half of them) of the town I love. 🤷‍♂️
On the other side of the fence, I voted for Peter Kyle in 2019, despite absolutely despising Corbyn.

It’ll be a lot easier for me this time with Starmer in charge, as my local and party preference will match up.

But there’s absolutely nothing wrong with voting for a good constituency MP, whatever the rosette. They’re public servants at the end of the day.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Never understood the logic behind spoiling ballot papers.

Maybe no party aligns exactly with your ideals. That doesn't make all the other options equally bad.

By not casting your vote it takes one vote less for the worst option to win. A spoilt ballot paper is a free pass, and your great political statement against all sides equally, will be forgotten the moment that the counter puts your paper in the "oh aren't they just so principled?" pile.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Then you sir are part of the problem

None of them match my views exactly, but several are close, and several are miles away, so it's not a hugely difficult choice to at least try and make a difference.

So you think it better to support policies by giving your vote to a party even if you are opposed to that policy just because they may have marginally more policies than another party?

A lot is often made of parties being voted into power so that endorses all their policies, as it's seen as the will of the people however that could mean that they have 6 or 7 populist policies and one that everyone thinks is terrible but they win out so even the terrible one is enacted, even if those who voted are (morally) opposed to it.

I do not want to give any support to a party that has policies i'll be against, no matter if they are slightly closer to my views.

How does voting for something you don't want to see enacted good, or making a positive difference?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That's fine, it's effectively a vote for the current incumbent (which I suspect was what you wanted, so all good) :thumbsup:
Not at all, i certainly didn't and wouldn't vote for them.

Besides, if, as highly likely regardless of whether i vote or not, the Government will be changing and Labour taking over, so how is not voting for any party (there are more than the 2 main ones on the ballot) in any way voting for this current lot?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here