Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gender and biological sex

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We need to stop fannying around and avoid any further cock-ups.

This should prick the conscience to avoid anyone acting like a bit of a dick. It would not be prudent to dig oneself into a hole over such matters.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Unisex are shared toilets that all genders/sexes use at the same time. Gender neutral toilets are single occupancy toilets that any gender/sex can use that are usually equipped for disabled use also. We had them in a place I used to work. We always referred to them as "everyone" Toilets.
It's less confusing than it seems. It's a toilet that anyone can use. Basically, no different to existing disabled toilets.

This did make me laugh. The end result to this major event was just to change the sign on your existing disabled loo to "disabled toilet / gender neutral toilet"?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The whole pronouns ‘thing’ is utter stupidity.

99% of people are either male or female . The other 1% should go about their lives with a bit more respect for the other 99% and stop forcing their mental health issues down everyone else’s throats . We don’t care , do what you like .

If one of those is feeling suicidal I'm guessing your number is off limits for a chat.

I've seen some stuff on here, and I'm really not easily shocked or offended, but that one is quite something in the league of thoughtless remarks.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Indeed. The whole issue about choice is that people are given.....a choice. Some people's attitude to this issue sounds a bit like their attitude to homosexuality in the 1970s: "they want it to be legal? Next it will be compulsory!". It wasn't, though, was it? ???

I probably shouldn't admit this but I always use the disabled toilet if there is one available (especially in a busy place like a hospital or airport) because they tend to be cleaner :shrug:

Blimey for someone who often lectures and ridicules others on here that's quite an admission - you know disabled people get furious about this?! (especially in a "busy place" that may have more disabled customers present who then have to wait for the abled body divvy to get out of their toilet. A friend of mine used to get quite het up about this as it occurs more often than you think)

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The simplest solutions are often found for the most complicated problems.

Yeah but why should a gender neutral person have the luxury of a noisy, flatulent and enjoyable shite in glorious privacy and isolation ....while I have to strain to ease out a log gently and quietly while in a cubicle next to a gorgeous bird in a "same sex" run of bogs? Not fair!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh, for the days of innocence. I must’ve been very naive, but at eleven, I remember walking home from school, down Surrenden Road and a friend telling me that my parents will have had sexual intercourse. I was fascinated because I hadn’t realised that they taken any courses, so couldn’t wait to get home to ask them. My mum told my dad to enlighten me as to what courses they’d been on, but when my dad started on the old birds and bees routine, I had to inform him that I was fully aware that men’s willies went in ladies holes and that a wee took place. The look on his face remains with me to this day.

I was also 11 when a friend started telling me about what parents got up to. I don't know if I should have known whether or not by then how babies happened. I was confused when my friend told me that the man wasn't weeing in the ladies bit and also said it wasn't possible anyway.

Confused, I raised the subject with my Mum whilst doing the washing up. She told me that sometimes parents 'make love' to each other. That was it. Having been given no clarity on a subject that my Mum was caught off guard by I think it was a while, and a few falsehoods, before I got a clear picture. Thus the actual conversation never took place. In fairness, it may have been hard for her given that she couldn't have kids and I was a rescue.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My head hurts trying to read that. It might just be because my home office is a tad too warm, or because I've spent the day reading old code. But if someone could kindly tell me if I should be sad or angry I would very much appreciate it.

i am glad you said that , it was like walking into a brick wall.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Oh, for the days of innocence. I must’ve been very naive, but at eleven, I remember walking home from school, down Surrenden Road and a friend telling me that my parents will have had sexual intercourse. I was fascinated because I hadn’t realised that they taken any courses, so couldn’t wait to get home to ask them. My mum told my dad to enlighten me as to what courses they’d been on, but when my dad started on the old birds and bees routine, I had to inform him that I was fully aware that men’s willies went in ladies holes and that a wee took place. The look on his face remains with me to this day.

that's brilliant...

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yeah but why should a gender neutral person have the luxury of a noisy, flatulent and enjoyable shite in glorious privacy and isolation ....while I have to strain to ease out a log gently and quietly while in a cubicle next to a gorgeous bird in a "same sex" run of bogs? Not fair!!

I was under the impression that the separate toilets for men and women were retained in this situation.

In any case, I'd suggest the solution to your problem is more fibre. Try Bran Flakes for breakfast, or brown bread.

The Crofter's Rights pub in Bristol has a urinal in the cubicle in the men's, so if you need a shit you have to go in the ladies. I assume this is plumbing related rather than being anything to do with transgender rights.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This is a tough one. Just like many on this board, I wasn't taught at school about the differences between biological sex and gender because trans people didn't have a voice.

Ten minutes googling will come up with the modern definitions for those who are confused but I think it's important that some people know the biological sex of a person, those people however, are the sorts of people unlikely to get their pro-nouns muddled up. The language should change though because you don't want to be referred to as male by anyone if you've swapped your winkie for a twinkie.

Or if you've been for a tinkle, a man shakes his snake and the lady shakes her lettuce.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey for someone who often lectures and ridicules others on here that's quite an admission - you know disabled people get furious about this?! (especially in a "busy place" that may have more disabled customers present who then have to wait for the abled body divvy to get out of their toilet. A friend of mine used to get quite het up about this as it occurs more often than you think)

I never ever pretended I can't be a prat. Who can?

Although, to be fair to myself on this occasion, I'd only feel guilty if I were queue jumping; I have never done it anywhere that has disabled toilet user traffic of note, and any places that are busy will have queues for the regular loos - disabled toilet users (and we mean wheelchair users, don't we?) should not themselves be able to expect to queue jump - disabled toilets are about provision of equality of access not provision of privilage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
to emphasis the difference between sex and gender, have to use those words.

not sure what law should change or how. it would be preposterous to say someone cant make a statement of fact about someones biology. content of what is said and if it give offence, maybe.

And context. Definitely.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I never ever pretended I can't be a prat. Who can?

Although, to be fair to myself on this occasion, I'd only feel guilty if I were queue jumping; I have never done it anywhere that has disabled toilet user traffic of note, and any places that are busy will have queues for the regular loos - disabled toilet users (and we mean wheelchair users, don't we?) should not themselves be able to expect to queue jump - disabled toilets are about provision of equality of access not provision of privilage.

Just because my friend would like me to....suggest you read this....

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/30/by-using-the-disabled-toilet-youre-putting-me-at-risk-9327740/

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've worked in places that observe gender neutral pro-nouns, have people using gender neutral pronouns, have gender neutral toilets etc. I would say it took less than ten minutes for management to run through the details of it, we all got it. It has never been mentioned again and there has never been a problem. Agree with it or not, it has very little impact on anyone day to day.

just looked up 'gender neutral pronouns' and its a whole new vocabulary with a whole set of traps for the less careful of us.

My view is if a person is going to be insulted by me referring to them as he/she as opposed to Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E then let's end the dialogue.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
just looked up 'gender neutral pronouns' and its a whole new vocabulary with a whole set of traps for the less careful of us.

My view is if a person is going to be insulted by me referring to them as he/she as opposed to Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E then let's end the dialogue.

I find if you just use the persons name or the pronoun “they”, you can’t go far wrong. I’ve slipped up before, nobody has seemed to take offence to honest mistakes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

If I need a cubicle and it is occupied and there is no alternative, I have to wait. Having spent 20 years with misdiagnosed lactose intolerance (I was told I had diverticulosis - I don't), I have had to go back home from Fav station some mornings when trains with 'no working toilet' were my only option (increasingly common in the last 4 years). The lavs on our trains are mostly accessible and without any 'accessible only' rule, but when they were all out of order, I couldn't go to work. Now I have resolved that problem perhaps my attitude may be different. Perhaps it should be :thumbsup:

If there were an 'accessible' and a 'non-accessible' toilet available, nobody waiting, nobody around, I admit it would be selfish of me to opt for the cleaner bog. That said I have never heard a tap on the door and never found anyone waiting outside after I've left. I think my judgement has been good, even if I were taking a risk with someone else's 'comfort'.

The way I saw it was, if there were ten non-accessible bogs, with five people queuing for each, and one accessible bog with no queue, but me using it, anyone who could only use the accessible bog would still be four places up the queue. Moreover, before I got my diagnosis sorted, if I were the one bod queuing outside the accessible bog, while five queued outside each non accessible bog, there is still a fair chance I'd shit myself, no matter who was blocking my passage, so to speak.

Now my sudden stabbing pains and spasmic projectile shitting is apparently no longer an issue, perhaps I should start to behave myself. I'm not sure if I've really done bad but I admit it would now be taking the piss, so thanks for the advice and admonishment.

The last refuge argument, of course, is that sometimes we are all desperate for a shit, whether we have an entitlement to an available trap, or not. I say that as someone who did actually do an impression of a bear in some woods recently (so all is still not quite ticketyboo in the large intestinal department, sadly).

Apologies if that's too much information.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We need to stop fannying around and avoid any further cock-ups.

This should prick the conscience to avoid anyone acting like a bit of a dick. It would not be prudent to dig oneself into a hole over such matters.

Don't be a ****. ???

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here