Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCSE's

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Your lucky, i have a spare few bob.

Bench in Preston Park in 20 mins, ill bring a can of stella too?

:thumbsup:

:laugh:

although sitting in a public place degrading myself is genuinely one of my favourite passe temps, i also enjoy slothing across my couch in my pants with my gut out

barney

Jul 31, 2006
No hangover! :clap:

My brain is in full flow this morning, ready for tonight on the town, trying out for some suprise sex with some just legal young ladies :clap2:

i like your style.

i'll probably be loitering in a pub or two down by palmeira tonight, on the prowl for fresh meat if it comes my way though.

are you going to southend?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would say they are not pointless by a long way as you need them to get to college, but once your there and doing A levels they pretty much become pretty irelevent, they will not help you into uni and if your taking A levels your employer i imagine would take very little intrest in what gcses you have, bar possible Maths and English.

Tend to agree with that. Okay so it's nearly 26 odd years since I left school, but nowadays I don't even bother having my O-levels listed on my cv anymore.
My working experience is far more relevant to any job I apply for.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Tend to agree with that. Okay so it's nearly 26 odd years since I left school, but nowadays I don't even bother having my O-levels listed on my cv anymore.
My working experience is far more relevant to any job I apply for.

Hit the nail on the head;)

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
ALSO, i would like to take this apportunity to moan, about my grade in TECH , i got a D but i had tech first thing every monday morning, which i was either tired, or had a hangover ( sunday football:thud:), or i just slept through it.

So im counting that as a A*

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think people should start using the letters after their name like M.D or Phd.

Like this

John Smith G.C.S.E, A, BTEC.

That would dazzle potential employers.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
:albion2:

GCSE's forgot about now, bring on the football season :laugh:

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Aha! Thanks!

No, it really irritates me (hence my involvement in some discussions on here) about the exageration of how they've become easier...to me it doesn't make sense.

We can now run faster, jump higher, cope with more stress then ever etc, so clearly we progress as time goes on... so why can't each year become more clever?

I do agree that the rate is ridiculous, but that's why less pressure is put on a pass and moreon the A's and A*'s - pass used to mean more. So with standards rising, as has expectation.

I think the one thing that can be critizised is the multiple exam boards - it's stupid.

How does an exam board make money? By being taken on by lots of schools. What, ultimately, does the school need to do each year? Get better results. Which exam boards are they going to pick? The one they deem easiest.

It's stupid!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Aha! Thanks!

No, it really irritates me (hence my involvement in some discussions on here) about the exageration of how they've become easier...to me it doesn't make sense.

We can now run faster, jump higher, cope with more stress then ever etc, so clearly we progress as time goes on... so why can't each year become more clever?

I do agree that the rate is ridiculous, but that's why less pressure is put on a pass and moreon the A's and A*'s - pass used to mean more. So with standards rising, as has expectation.

I think the one thing that can be critizised is the multiple exam boards - it's stupid.

How does an exam board make money? By being taken on by lots of schools. What, ultimately, does the school need to do each year? Get better results. Which exam boards are they going to pick? The one they deem easiest.

It's stupid!

I used to interview new recruits for jobs, both school leavers and graduates.

You'll just have to trust me when I say that people aren't getting more intelligent.

Its such a shame that they are being conned into thinking this is so, by a marking system guaranteed to improve Government statistics.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
but you are still deemed a sucess if you get all D's and E's

Thats my point If you need A-C's to get into college, then why not make that the pass mark, not A-E's

Maybe then the standard of education will go up in a bid to come higher on a league table, instead of one where the lowest score is probably about 97%

From what i was told when i got my results few years ago it wasn't what grades you got it was the average. So you get points for each grade you get, unless you fail. To get into college you need an average of C grades so you can get E'S and A's or whatever aslong as you pass the minimum score. I think.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Well you're not as daft as you think, as you seem to have found the answer.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Are you taking the piss?
(re your last comment)

Perhaps they aren't more intelligent (though I think on the whole they are) but I think teaching is more geared to exams, and people are working harder in school...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Perhaps they aren't more intelligent (though I think on the whole they are) but I think teaching is more geared to exams, and people are working harder in school...

Your arguments are all over the place. First you infer people are more clever, then you say perhaps they ain't.

What evidence have you got that people are working harder - I would be keen to hear it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have to say I think it's fifty fifty. I meet some young folk who seem a lot more dedicated and intelligent than I was at their age which is refreshing but then sometimes I find myself on London Rd and I see another side to the story.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
No, I think people have got more intelligent but from the word go I have said that clearly it isn't improving to that extent yearly.

So, as I say, teaching is more geared to exams then ever (having spoken to numerous teachers this is true), people are working harder - look at stress figures from surveys etc though obviously these are flawed), expectations have increased with standards anyway and multiple exam boards make the exams perhaps slightly easier - it's a combination of lots of things.

If you look, more people are getting degress now, so jobs such as receptionist are now wanting a degree, when previously they didn't.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
No, I think people have got more intelligent but from the word go I have said that clearly it isn't improving to that extent yearly.

So, as I say, teaching is more geared to exams then ever (having spoken to numerous teachers this is true), people are working harder - look at stress figures from surveys etc though obviously these are flawed), expectations have increased with standards anyway and multiple exam boards make the exams perhaps slightly easier - it's a combination of lots of things.

If you look, more people are getting degress now, so jobs such as receptionist are now wanting a degree, when previously they didn't.

receptionists need a degree? pardon me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here