Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCSE's

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wasn't suggesting you can't have a good life without GCSE's. The opposite in fact so thanks for proving my point.

Oh I see. The reverse psychology thing? well done. I don't see that I need to post anymore in this thread. I only have one opinion on GCSE's and I've said it several times. They are easy.

au contraire

I have lots now, but found them very difficult at the time, not "piss easy".

Please dont stop posting. I am trying to debug a programme and your posts are relieving the tedium.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
au contraire

I have lots now, but found them very difficult at the time, not "piss easy".

Please dont stop posting. I am trying to debug a programme and your posts are relieving the tedium.

Just get on with your work.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I tend to agree with Nibble here, the GCSE's were well easy in my day. Everyone I know did very little revision and scored well. I would think it's fair to say that those that don't at least pass GCSE's are a bit stupid in the head.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
23 yrs since I did my "O's", 1 A, 3 B's, 3 C's and 3 CSE gd 1's

Are they getting easier these days, I'd say the resources available to kids now are so much better (that new fangled internet thingy etc), and I think they are easier to pass, but to get the best results is still a combination of hard work and ability.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
there you go again

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

He does have, to a certain extent, a point. When I took my GCSE's back in '91 they weren't exactly challenging, and my friends who did them at the same time agree with me on this. That isn't (or rather wasn't) the real problem though, in that they in no way prepared you for doing A levels - which were a light year away in terms of difficulty and the amount of work you have to do from GCSE.

I put the fact that I did poorly in my A levels entirely down to the expectations that were set by my GCSE courses (that you don't really need to bother in order to get a grade). It was a hard lesson to learn, but I did, got myself on an HND that led into a degree course blah, blah blah.

I'd be interested to hear people who have gone through the system more recently - does that gulf in the standards between GCSE and A level still exist?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I tend to agree with Nibble here, the GCSE's were well easy in my day. Everyone I know did very little revision and scored well. I would think it's fair to say that those that don't at least pass GCSE's are a bit stupid in the head.

thank you. I knew someone with an ounce of sense would turn up here soon.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
does this mean there will be stacks of 16 year olds about in town tonight hindering me in my casual attempts to get inebriated??

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I think the issue is that everyone says GCSE's are getting easier but whether they are or aren't it shouldn't really be relevant.

I am certainly not a big believer in the fact that everyone should go on to further full time education but at the end of the day employers will only really look at your results in the highest form of education you did. Therefore your GCSE's nowadays will dictate what you do next. Low scores and you'll be best to do vocational couses in trades and such like, high scores and you'll be more likely to do A-Levels.

From there if you do a course in plumbing a potential employer will only care what you did in your plumbing course. If you did A-levels, a potential employer or Uni will only care what you did at college not school.

At the end of the day, after about 5 years your employment history will take precendent over anything else. A member of my family left school about 30 years ago with about 2 C's at GCSE and is now an Area Manager for a national company.

GCSE's are not essential to the rest of your life, they only affect what you do short term and unless you didn't get the results you need to do something you really want to do don't panic

Jimmy Grimble

does this mean there will be stacks of 16 year olds about in town tonight hindering me in my casual attempts to get inebriated??

:thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would say they are not pointless by a long way as you need them to get to college, but once your there and doing A levels they pretty much become pretty irelevent, they will not help you into uni and if your taking A levels your employer i imagine would take very little intrest in what gcses you have, bar possible Maths and English.

For those who dont get the gcses they wanted and dont get into college its not the end of the world! you just have to work a bit harder resit them if college is what YOU want to do and not what you mates are doing. or its just time to pull your finger out get a cheeky little job whilst trying to work out what you do want to do, no harm in that imo but dont just give up.

Anyway, i doubt anyone will agree just my point of view and how i see things looking back, i wish i hadnt of gone to college as it was a couple of years of dossing and could of been doing somthing i really wanted to and left it until i was about 19 before i realised what i wanted to do, but if you work at it things do/will be all good in the hood.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think the issue is that everyone says GCSE's are getting easier but whether they are or aren't it shouldn't really be relevant.

I am certainly not a big believer in the fact that everyone should go on to further full time education but at the end of the day employers will only really look at your results in the highest form of education you did. Therefore your GCSE's nowadays will dictate what you do next. Low scores and you'll be best to do vocational couses in trades and such like, high scores and you'll be more likely to do A-Levels.

From there if you do a course in plumbing a potential employer will only care what you did in your plumbing course. If you did A-levels, a potential employer or Uni will only care what you did at college not school.

At the end of the day, after about 5 years your employment history will take precendent over anything else. A member of my family left school about 30 years ago with about 2 C's at GCSE and is now an Area Manager for a national company.

GCSE's are not essential to the rest of your life, they only affect what you do short term and unless you didn't get the results you need to do something you really want to do don't panic

what i wanted to say, absoultley spot on in my opinion.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Barney, still up for that Orange Juice and Lemonade?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
That isn't (or rather wasn't) the real problem though, in that they in no way prepared you for doing A levels - which were a light year away in terms of difficulty and the amount of work you have to do from GCSE.

I'd be interested to hear people who have gone through the system more recently - does that gulf in the standards between GCSE and A level still exist?

Finished school in 99 and finished college in '01 and found exactly the same as you. Obviously there are people of differing abilities but i barely did anything for my GCSE's and got 1A and 7B's, A Level i got 2D's and 1E simply because I had the same attitude to them as I did my GCSE's.

Word of warning to anyone who did similar to me at GCSE, unless you want to go to Uni you may want to look at Plumbing/Electrician/Bricklaying apprenticeships as you will have to be prepared to work much harder at A-Level and so if you don't really enjoy it best look at careers now

barney

Jul 31, 2006
I would say they are not pointless by a long way as you need them to get to college, but once your there and doing A levels they pretty much become pretty irelevent, they will not help you into uni and if your taking A levels your employer i imagine would take very little intrest in what gcses you have, bar possible Maths and English.

For those who dont get the gcses they wanted and dont get into college its not the end of the world! you just have to work a bit harder resit them if college is what YOU want to do and not what you mates are doing. or its just time to pull your finger out get a cheeky little job whilst trying to work out what you do want to do, no harm in that imo but dont just give up.

Anyway, i doubt anyone will agree just my point of view and how i see things looking back, i wish i hadnt of gone to college as it was a couple of years of dossing and could of been doing somthing i really wanted to and left it until i was about 19 before i realised what i wanted to do, but if you work at it things do/will be all good in the hood.

yeah i agree munk, but ruddy hell that seemed like a lot of effort that post for a thursday morning

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You can always geta job in a call centre or in retail.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
yeah mate i'm frackin hungover, and the fridge is empty i'd love an OJ

Your lucky, i have a spare few bob.

Bench in Preston Park in 20 mins, ill bring a can of stella too?

:thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
yeah i agree munk, but ruddy hell that seemed like a lot of effort that post for a thursday morning

No hangover! :clap:

My brain is in full flow this morning, ready for tonight on the town, trying out for some suprise sex with some just legal young ladies :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here