Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay supporters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My first thought was " Palace troll", my second was "what an unfriendly bunch we are" :smile:

Anyway much as I'd like to help, I can't.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't know why the geezer is getting so much stick. Outside of London, Brighton has the highest % of gays does it not??? London has 12/13 clubs in the top four divisions, Brighton has 1. Seems the logical place to do a survey into anything gay related to me.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I don't know why the geezer is getting so much stick. Outside of London, Brighton has the highest % of gays does it not??? London has 12/13 clubs in the top four divisions, Brighton has 1. Seems the logical place to do a survey into anything gay related to me.

I think it's the assumption that Brighton has more gay fans than other clubs. This is highly unlikely. Most of the gay population (believed to be as much as 92% of it) come from outside the area. If they follow football it would be likely that they are supporters of other clubs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh sorry - the comment

I'm a journalist at ITN looking to speak to gay Albion fans about homophobic chanting this season

Clearly wasn't intended for "Gay" "Albion" "Fans" was it
Ah, I misread it. But my point that it's Brighton fans that have homophobic chanting aimed at them still stands - Brighton fans are going to witness the chants more than fans of other teams (although I do agree that the chants are not offensive only to Brighton fans).

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Something I would genuinely find interesting is hearing what gay fans of other clubs have to say about when their on fans chant at Brighton.

It would add something else to the debate. Do they join in as they feel it is only 'banter' or do they make a stand and refuse to join in. If Mr Journalist was to do this then it may actually be quite an interesting report. If it is just - Brighton fans are gay, they don't like it then it will be the same old thing that has been done hundreds of times before.

Something I would genuinely find interesting is hearing what gay fans of other clubs have to say about when their on fans chant at Brighton.

It would add something else to the debate. Do they join in as they feel it is only 'banter' or do they make a stand and refuse to join in. If Mr Journalist was to do this then it may actually be quite an interesting report. If it is just - Brighton fans are gay, they don't like it then it will be the same old thing that has been done hundreds of times before.

That's exactly what I posted earlier and something I would be genuinely interested in hearing the views of.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think it's the assumption that Brighton has more gay fans than other clubs. This is highly unlikely. Most of the gay population (believed to be as much as 92% of it) come from outside the area. If they follow football it would be likely that they are supporters of other clubs.

May be then he would have been better putting this question on a general football forum, it might of actually yielded some better results. In his logic thou he thought to post here. I bet if we asked a random selection of supporters from other clubs, what club suffers the most homophobic abuse it would be us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

I believe it is 95%banter and 5% gay hate. Like most thinks in life, people jump on the nearest bandwagon. Like when 100,000 people march in London against some bill or other. Only a very small percentage are there to riot and cause trouble and that's all they are there for. They probably don't give a toss what they are marching for they just want the hate side of it.

D

Deleted member 22389

I believe it is 95%banter and 5% gay hate. Like most thinks in life, people jump on the nearest bandwagon. Like when 100,000 people march in London against some bill or other. Only a very small percentage are there to riot and cause trouble and that's all they are there for. They probably don't give a toss what they are marching for they just want the hate side of it.

I agree.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
There's a bigger gay population in Manchester than Brighton, i would think. Is he going to start trawling Man City message boards or Oldham message boards for his 'research'? Or perhaps just pander to lazy stereotypes instead?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fair enough asking us about homophobia, if i was writing an article about rubbish football coverage, with crap presenters, and pundits who can only state the bleeding obvious, i would ask ITV.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's a bigger gay population in Manchester than Brighton, i would think. Is he going to start trawling Man City message boards or Oldham message boards for his 'research'? Or perhaps just pander to lazy stereotypes instead?

That's not the point being made.

Irrespective of how many gay fans any given football club has - and I agree with Baron Pepperpot, I don't see that Brighton has more pro rata than any other club - it's the extent to which there is homophobic abuse/banter, and I would suspect a fair whack of it is at Brighton matches, home and away.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hello all,

I'm a journalist at ITN looking to speak to gay Albion fans about homophobic chanting this season. If there's anyone up for telling me their views and experiences from this season, would be great to hear from you. My email's johnny.mcdevitt@itn.co.uk

Truely lazy journalism.... :facepalm:

why just this season ? :wrong:

It has been going on for a fair few years you know ! :angry:

why do you want to speak to just gay Albion fans are you implying that homophobic abuse and chanting does not affect straight fans ? :cheery:

I get very upset at being accused of being gay when I am clearly a neanderthal hooligan who has no opinion other than the cost of a pint & a pie. :drink:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Why would you presume Brighton have a higher proportion of gay fans than any other club in Britain? Seriously.

The town has a high gay population because gay adults move down here from other parts of the country because of the gay scene. Or do you think that if you are born in a certain postcode you have genetically a higher chance of being gay?!?

:facepalm:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
It's interesting that many on here feel like they need to tell this journalist what he should be writing about when all he's done is come on here looking for some contacts. None of you have any idea what he's going to write about or where else he's tried to find contributors...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It's interesting that many on here feel like they need to tell this journalist what he should be writing about when all he's done is come on here looking for some contacts. None of you have any idea what he's going to write about or where else he's tried to find contributors...

Oh shut up you bumlicker :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here