Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Marriage - The Vote

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You are comparing him with Nazis (despite the fact that he has explained and apologised for the comment you quote) for dismissing one side of the argument as bigotry. Hoever you do exactly the same for the yes voters by dismissing them as politiking Politicians. I am not sure I really see much difference.

That's the problem with you Australians, you can't digest detail and you think irony is found in an elephant's gob.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So turtles are gay than? anyone who slags of Barnes is pretending not to be gay. That God will let gays marry once they have beaten all the christians to death with dinosaur bones? Well Im glad thats all settled then.:)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bloody hell (no pun intended) I've had it all wrong for a very long time then! Lucky they give the turtle option - have you ever tried to catch a pigeon in town?

Or a sheep.

The same part of the bible also states that after giving birth to a boy the women is unclean for 33 days.

But if she gives birth to a girl she is unclean for 66 days but is also unclean prior to that in the previous sense.

So my interpretation is that after giving birth to a girl you need to do the turtle/pigeon thing as well. My apologies if untrue but well worth keeping a couple of either in the handbag alongside the Tampax to be safe.

Unfortunately those wishing for a son who can't be bothered to catch a pigeon (or a turtle) will be disappointed.

After the birth of a son or a daughter and after the respective period of uncleanliness (please refer to the small print) the woman is required to present to the priest a one year old lamb AND a pigeon. I'd imagine a couple of chops will suffice.

So there you go gents. Ever wondered what women put in their handbags ? I think I've cleared it up.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The same part of the bible that condemns two men getting frisky also has some interesting advice on how a women should cleanse herself after her "time of the month"....

And on the eighth day she shall take unto her two turtles, or two young pigeons, and bring them unto the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for her before the LORD for the issue of her uncleanness.

Don't you just love the internet for creating myths...?

I just looked that quote up in my paper bible (RSV, 1971 edition), and what it actually says is "...turtle doves..." not "turtles". Still weird religious nuttery, but makes a lot more sense within the context of pigeons and all that sit...

Nothing to get in a flap about, I'd say.

Edit: PS, it's Leviticus 15:29...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I just looked that quote up in my paper bible (RSV, 1971 edition), and what it actually says is "...turtle doves..." not "turtles". Still weird religious nuttery, but makes a lot more sense within the context of pigeons and all that sit...

Edit: PS, it's Leviticus 15:29...

I know exactly which part of the bible it is and it depends which version you read regarding the animal

The internet creating myths? I heard it from someone whose sister is a vicar

The animal is irrelevant. It's another barmy part of the bible that most Christians ignore because er.. it's barmy.

And that's my problem. Selective reading of the book to fit in with an existing agenda.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Depends which version of the bible you read regarding the animal.

The internet creating myths? Cheeky sod. I heard it from someone whose sister is a vicar.

Another part of the "oh yeah, just ignore that bit" bible.

I think the "oh yeah, just ignore that bit" bible comment is a bit silly. I think most people would accept that "Don't Kill", Dom't Steal", "Help those who are less fortunate than yourself" bits are good ideas - and I accept that you do not have to be a person of faith to embrace such ideas. I also think most people would consider that this idea of sacrificing turtle or turtle doves to make a woman clean is a bit silly. I also personally believe that the creation story is just that - a story - but some people, intelligent people, do actually believe it.

Each to his own.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think the "oh yeah, just ignore that bit" bible comment is a bit silly. I think most people would accept that "Don't Kill", Dom't Steal", "Help those who are less fortunate than yourself" bits are good ideas - and I accept that you do not have to be a person of faith to embrace such ideas. I also think most people would consider that this idea of sacrificing turtle or turtle doves to make a woman clean is a bit silly. I also personally believe that the creation story is just that - a story - but some people, intelligent people, do actually believe it.

Each to his own.

Very silly comment indeed. I was a quoting a Christian I know.....

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Being a person of faith, i would say perhaps "proper religion = much better world". That is religion which accepts people for what they are, is nothingphobic and non-judgemental and basically just supports people who need support. The frustration is that it will probably never happen.

I appreciate you are a person of faith and that is your right. The problem I have is the brainwashed nutters who try to force their own views on other people. People should be allowed to follow their own paths as long as there is not any detremental action on anyone else. It is the will of the drastically uneducated and a narrow minded fool who believes that two gay people should not be able to marry each other. Best of luck to them, have a happy life.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a sheep.

The same part of the bible also states that after giving birth to a boy the women is unclean for 33 days.

But if she gives birth to a girl she is unclean for 66 days but is also unclean prior to that in the previous sense.

So my interpretation is that after giving birth to a girl you need to do the turtle/pigeon thing as well. My apologies if untrue but well worth keeping a couple of either in the handbag alongside the Tampax to be safe.

Unfortunately those wishing for a son who can't be bothered to catch a pigeon (or a turtle) will be disappointed.

After the birth of a son or a daughter and after the respective period of uncleanliness (please refer to the small print) the woman is required to present to the priest a one year old lamb AND a pigeon. I'd imagine a couple of chops will suffice.

So there you go gents. Ever wondered what women put in their handbags ? I think I've cleared it up.

Perhaps it was twins?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Each to his own.

I think that if you need a book to tell you those morals, you are already in a world of shit.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think that if you need a book to tell you those morals, you are already in a world of shit.

I would imagine many people have the morals before they have the faith. I certainly did. I can remember many years ago at school arguing from an agnostic point of view and then going on to come out very very strongly against capital punishment later on in the conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate you are a person of faith and that is your right. The problem I have is the brainwashed nutters who try to force their own views on other people. People should be allowed to follow their own paths as long as there is not any detremental action on anyone else. It is the will of the drastically uneducated and a narrow minded fool who believes that two gay people should not be able to marry each other. Best of luck to them, have a happy life.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree entirely.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Isn't it funny that the same people who are so vociferously against gay marriage are also the posters who are constantly posting negative drivel about our players and manager...
It would be funny, if it were true.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Is this where they got the idea for pads with wings from?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Bible has been re-written, added to, moved around in different order to suit the following generations. If it carried on like that until current day it may have updated itself to reflect human society and even removed all the homophobic content to embrace all. It didn't however and that's its problem. Everyone else has moved on.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'd love to know what this has got to do with the redistribution of wealth. I'm all ears.

Notters you've lost me.
I was making a light- hearted remark concerning Questions post re putting people on ignore.Perhaps we are at cross purposes,maybe?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just looking through this thread. My goodness there are some unpleasant little no-marks on here.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just looking through this thread. My goodness there are some unpleasant little no-marks on here.

Agreed. On both sides of the debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here