Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Neville

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Fantastic appointment all round IMO.

Knows his onions, talks intelligently and with passion, probably has the contacts required by a big club like Valencia. And great to see an Englishman take a job abroad. I really hope he makes a success of that.

Bloody hope he is successful. Disliked him as a player for simply being Manyoo. Gradually had to grudgingly admit what an intelligent pundit he is. If he can prove himself as a coach too? Be so good to see an Englishman succeed outside of the country.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This will be an interesting watch and to some extent for me anyway will show whether 'luck' might be the most important attribute in football management.

I am sure he has secured funding guarantees from their board, we know he is exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced and seems to be a affable enough guy with a stern side to both be accepted and control the group.

So it seems unimaginable that he will fail, but fail he probably will, just how quickly will be the measure of his successes or failure.

Lets see, if he fails then we might have to re-write the accomplishments or not of Poyet, Hyppia and Hughton and how good or how bad we deemed them to be .............................

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm astounded to be honest.

Nothing against Gary Neville, and like most on here I hope he does well.

But for someone untried at managerial level, to take your first job in La Liga, well . . .

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lets see, if he fails then we might have to re-write the accomplishments or not of Poyet, Hyppia and Hughton and how good or how bad we deemed them to be .............................

Why?

It's his first shot at management and in the top league in a foreign country. And despite all you've mentioned about GN (which I agree with btw) he might not be very good at it.

You never know until someone tries and although luck is always a factor I don't see how his success or failure would in any way reflect on our manager or previous managers.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
He's a fantastic pundit and I'll miss him from Sky Sports for sure. But like others have said, he is wasted as a pundit and I actually see him being the future England manager.

I'm slightly surprised he has started his managerial career at such a massive club though! Big risk to take, but he certainly has all the ingredients to become a top quality manager.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Lim states that it was his personal qualities which won him the position, which sounds like the Blind Date interview process with Gary out-charming Percy from Stockport who's obsessed with sparrowhawks and even has a board game in development called Shawk Attack!, and Gary's brother Phil whose bamboozling dialect and featureless cackle would prevent him from being any sober person's catch. An odd choice, really.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I am surprised he didnt cut his managerial teeth at a club like Villa or wait a couple more weeks for Swansea

Swansea maybe, but Villa would be the last club you should choose to cut your managerial teeth! Villa at the moment are in a decline of huge proportions. I dont even expect Garde to last the season.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am surprised he didnt cut his managerial teeth at a club like Villa or wait a couple more weeks for Swansea

He's not stupid, he has a better chance with better finances, with a higher status club with better players.

Cutting teeth at lower end clubs tend to be for those that have no other option.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First job and at a big club in La Liga. I suggest he will crash and burn quite quickly. Not quite sure that because he talks a good game means he will do as well as some of you seem to think. Spanish fans are way less tolerant than English fans, especially with foreigners.

How many English managers have had a first job at a Champions League club and done well at it??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here