Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Good old BBC management.
Happy to push people around.
But a bit wimpy when bigger boys push them back.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That final result in full;

Gary Lineker 3 (OG - BBC, OG - Daily Mail, OG - Conservative Party) - 0 His Detractors

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why wasn't this ' solidarity ' shown when three ex players, after many years of sterling and loyal service, were sacked by Sky. Namely...Phil Thomson...Charlie Nicholas and Matt Le Tissier.
Maybe their colleagues secretly hated them and couldn't wait to be rid of them?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I wonder if the the Tories now throw Sharp and Davie under the bus? This is not the solution most of the 25% of potential Tory voters wanted? (https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/uk-opinion-polls)

I just can't see the Tories appointing someone to a senior position only to get rid off them after a short while when they are seen to have done a shit job as a result of them doing what their backers and supporters wanted them to do. Just doesn't sound like the Tories.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why wasn't this ' solidarity ' shown when three ex players, after many years of sterling and loyal service, were sacked by Sky. Namely...Phil Thomson...Charlie Nicholas and Matt Le Tissier.
They weren’t sacked. Their contracts weren’t extended

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Personally I find it worrying that we are having this discussion, in the UK, in 2023. Something is going seriously wrong when we're all arguing about whether a tweet from an ex-footballer/face of the BBC was right or wrong. Shouldn't we be concerned that some of us think he has a valid point & some of us don't agree. To me, the division being caused by it, is the most alarming part.
To think that 'anyone' thinks that the government are using a 'language' not too dissimilar to the German propaganda posters of the1930's is bloody worrying! We are in 2023, these conversations shouldn't be happening & yet here we are discussing whether GL was right or wrong to suggest the Governments use of language was reminiscent of German propaganda. Brexit?, yes argue. Covid response?, yes lets argue, however this should not be argued about! Some of us are worried that this 'stop the boats' three word campaign slogan is going to cause more 'othering' than what there already is.
Somewhere in a thread on here there is a link to a story about kids being moved to another area so wont be able to take their GCSE's, that could technically be a breach of the UNCRC. Some of us are fine for the EUHR to be binned as we're no longer members & some of us are not fine with the idea. No one seems to have noticed that we're very close to breaching UN treaties!
I'm really disturbed by the fact that in the UK, in 2023 we're even having to have a discussion about whether our politics is bordering on being similar to Nazi Germany's. At least (as far as I know) digital footprints can never truly be deleted. It's not the 'discussion' itself that's worrying, it's that fact that this discussion has occurred concerns me most.
Edit to add that I'm on team GL if anything is unclear.

We know you are on team GL. If you were on the opposing side, you wouldn't be expressing concern that the conversation is being had.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think it's because the situations are entirely different. The three you mentioned were released at the end of their contract with a multinational, private corporation as is the wont of any employer where they have employees on fixed contracts.

You may as well ask "Where was the show of solidarity from Brighton players when Tudor Baluta was sacked?"

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
R5 Live: BBC Social Media/impartiality guidelines are to be reviewed by an external party and until that review concludes, GL will abide by the guidelines as they stand.
Surely a simple solution is to insist that anyone who works for the BBC in any capacity should make it clear on their social media accounts that the views expressed on them are their own personal opinions and not those of their employers?

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Amusing amount of spin from the GL groupies on here. Lineker will return on the understanding he will abide by the BBC's interpretation of the rules and guidelines while a review of those guidelines takes place ... and no apology to GL.

A sensible outcome and all the wokies can carry on pretending they have helped avert the march of fascism in the UK and get back tp their yoghurt knitting.

Score draw at best. 👍

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Inside the BBC staff email from the director general​

All BBC staff have received an email from the director general Tim Davie in the last hour about the resolution that's just been announced.
"I want to acknowledge how challenging the last few days have been and to say how grateful I am for all your work during this weekend’s disruption."
He tells staff that it was a "difficult balancing act to get right where people are subject to different contracts and on-air positions, and with different audience and social media profiles."
But, he says he recognises that "there are grey areas which has caused potential confusion," so a review on the BBC's social media guidance will go ahead with a focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs.
"Gary is in favour of such a review and I’m pleased that he will be back on air this coming weekend."
"We’ve had a difficult weekend. But it’s right that we listen and that we ask ourselves questions to ensure that we continue to fight for a BBC that delivers world-class, impartial output for all audiences."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Amusing amount of spin from the GL groupies on here. Lineker will return on the understanding he will abide by the BBC's interpretation of the rules and guidelines while a review of those guidelines takes place ... and no apology to GL.

A sensible outcome and all the wokies can carry on pretending they have helped avert the march of fascism in the UK and get back tp their yoghurt knitting.

Score draw at best. 👍
I'm curious who scored for the Beeb?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I really like this. Apologies if already posted...
Before the BBC statement, the former BBC director of news James Harding told Radio 4’s Today programme that the corporation had got itself into a bit of a muddle over impartiality.

The co-founder of Tortoise Media also said the broadcaster could not police the opinion of every contributor.

“I think it’s part of a bigger muddle on impartiality,” he said, adding that the situation is “completely different” for staff outside news and current affairs.

But, he said, “ you can’t get to a world in which the BBC is policing the opinions of every writer, director, musician, sports personality, scientist, business entrepreneur”.

There were “freedom of speech principles here”.

“Those people have lives beyond the BBC and should be able to give voice to what they say.”

Harding added it was much better to have “real clarity about the strictness of rules for journalists for BBC news and current affairs, but then respect for freedom of speech outside the BBC, beyond the BBC output, for everyone else.

“And the reason we got ourselves in this mess is that we have got a set of guidelines which are not really rules, they are kind of asks of BBC contributors . And in that uncertainty, in that ambiguity, this is what’s happened.”
Stating the obvious but nice to read something with such clarity and lack of emotive side taking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would you want to stand with Matt Le Tissier? If you do, make sure you leave before he gets onto discussing the earth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here