Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
While this whole

"My holocaust Jew says Lineker is wrong!"
"But my Holocaust Jew says Lineker is right!"

thing is really exciting, it is somewhat far from the subject since this is not about the Holocaust, Linekers tweet is about the xenophobic attitude and rhetoric which eventually caused both the holocaust and similar (but on a smaller scale) elsewhere in the world at the time. Germany wasn't alone in that sort of rhetorics in the 1930s; in Sweden, in Sweden for example we did horrible forced sterilisations of Sami people, using very similar rhetorics. The reason he mentioned Germany is because it was the most famous example of xenophobia going rampant. Using examples makes people understand things better than if you need to explain it through writing a f***ing essay or something.

In short: this is not about Jews or the Holocaust or even Germany or the 1930s...

It is a sharp warning to the public, clarified through using the worst possible consequences so far in history as an example, of what normalisation of xenophobia could result in.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think they are mainly laughing at the Woke community who seem to believe Rishi's stormtroopers will soon come knocking on their doors to confiscate their I ❤️ Gary Lineker posters.
And they say that right wing comedy and satire is dead.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
He forgot Lord Dubs, Alf Dubs, a Czech Jew, I mentioned quite early on in the thread, who was 6 when Sir Nicolas Winton, got him out on the Kindertransport. He has already stood by Gary.
He’s also very concerned about deporting unaccompanied children. It’s horrific.

We can all play, 'find a Jewish person/holocaust survivor who supports our point of view' ...

'A founding trustee of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT) is among a number of prominent Jews to hit out at ex-footballer and BBC pundit Gary Lineker over his tweet comparing the language being used to talk about UK’s asylum plans to 1930s Germany.

Holocaust survivor Agnes Grunwald-Spier MBE has said the Match of the Day host “should be ashamed”...'

:shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We can all play, 'find a Jewish person/holocaust survivor who supports our point of view'

Which you did frequently to help you point out anti semitism, but only in The Labour Party, for the point of attacking it on a Brighton and Hove Albion football forum online under your previous username.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have they stopped the boats yet, or what?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We can all play, 'find a Jewish person/holocaust survivor who supports our point of view' ...

'A founding trustee of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT) is among a number of prominent Jews to hit out at ex-footballer and BBC pundit Gary Lineker over his tweet comparing the language being used to talk about UK’s asylum plans to 1930s Germany.

Holocaust survivor Agnes Grunwald-Spier MBE has said the Match of the Day host “should be ashamed”...'

Can you be clear on what your opinion is and which part of the link you posted backs that up?

You seem to have replied to a conversation chain about if the comments in question were similar to 1930s Germany. My scan of your link didn't show any quotes commenting on that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Guardian reading, tofu eating, wokerati, europhile, leftie, immigrant communists won't let them stop the boats.
Always the victims, it's never their fault (the govt, that is, not the tofu fackers)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You posted that link yesterday. She was born in 1944. Admittedly she’s written a few books about the Holocaust but only from the Jewish perspective. She doesn’t mention the other four million targeted and killed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My point is, in regard to the last few posts, that I asked you to name "a Tory supporting presenter" who was cancelled by Alistair Campbell. You rather arrogantly dismissed it by coming up with Gilligan who was neither a presenter, nor ousted by Labour, but who lied to an inquiry.

My central points are three fold. Firstly that I agree with Lineker that we are heading full tilt towards 1930s Germany with this awful government, secondly that his speaking out against it is therefore necessary and thirdly that the Tory party have, in my opinion, given the BBC an existential problem by giving them the choice of becoming more right wing or losing their funding. New Labour may have done that, but, if they did, it was over 13 years ago, unsuccessful and merely proves the BBC can't be fully neutral.
Perfectly put, in shining words of incontestable clarity and irrefutable reasoning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While this whole

"My holocaust Jew says Lineker is wrong!"
"But my Holocaust Jew says Lineker is right!"

thing is really exciting, it is somewhat far from the subject since this is not about the Holocaust, Linekers tweet is about the xenophobic attitude and rhetoric which eventually caused both the holocaust and similar (but on a smaller scale) elsewhere in the world at the time. Germany wasn't alone in that sort of rhetorics in the 1930s; in Sweden, in Sweden for example we did horrible forced sterilisations of Sami people, using very similar rhetorics. The reason he mentioned Germany is because it was the most famous example of xenophobia going rampant. Using examples makes people understand things better than if you need to explain it through writing a f***ing essay or something.

In short: this is not about Jews or the Holocaust or even Germany or the 1930s...

It is a sharp warning to the public, clarified through using the worst possible consequences so far in history as an example, of what normalisation of xenophobia could result in.
This.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Have they stopped the boats yet, or what?
No, after 13 years of being the only party that can tackle this issue, there are still boats and asylum seekers.

On an unrelated note: There is much political capital and vote harvesting to be gained from not stopping the boats (and/or asylum seekers in general).

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Personally I find it worrying that we are having this discussion, in the UK, in 2023. Something is going seriously wrong when we're all arguing about whether a tweet from an ex-footballer/face of the BBC was right or wrong. Shouldn't we be concerned that some of us think he has a valid point & some of us don't agree. To me, the division being caused by it, is the most alarming part.
To think that 'anyone' thinks that the government are using a 'language' not too dissimilar to the German propaganda posters of the1930's is bloody worrying! We are in 2023, these conversations shouldn't be happening & yet here we are discussing whether GL was right or wrong to suggest the Governments use of language was reminiscent of German propaganda. Brexit?, yes argue. Covid response?, yes lets argue, however this should not be argued about! Some of us are worried that this 'stop the boats' three word campaign slogan is going to cause more 'othering' than what there already is.
Somewhere in a thread on here there is a link to a story about kids being moved to another area so wont be able to take their GCSE's, that could technically be a breach of the UNCRC. Some of us are fine for the EUHR to be binned as we're no longer members & some of us are not fine with the idea. No one seems to have noticed that we're very close to breaching UN treaties!
I'm really disturbed by the fact that in the UK, in 2023 we're even having to have a discussion about whether our politics is bordering on being similar to Nazi Germany's. At least (as far as I know) digital footprints can never truly be deleted. It's not the 'discussion' itself that's worrying, it's that fact that this discussion has occurred concerns me most.
Edit to add that I'm on team GL if anything is unclear.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Given the French half a billion pounds to drill holes in them.
That half a billion pounds though is probably world beating, or if not, it's certainly going to be world leading. Either way, The Tory Government are only trying their best and if people could just believe in them a bit more and be a bit more patriotic this can resolved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here