Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not so subtle difference being most don't compare the current government to one that historically orchestrated the Holocaust to their audience of millions of followers.
Most people - including many who support Lineker - would accept that it was a clumsy comparison. It doesn’t make the basis of his comments any less valid.

and for anyone with a knowledge of 20th Century European history, there are striking similarities between what Conservative governments have done over the last few years and what the Nazis did in 1930’s Germany - NOT just the language. That does not mean that everyone assumes it will lead to another holocaust. It does mean a lot of people are horrified at what this Government does on several levels. Plenty of leading lights in the Faith Communities and Charities have come out very vociferously and solidly against the proposed bill, while Robert Jenrick found himself able last week to describe it as compassionate…….. which to me shows they are on a different planet to normal decent people.

I’m not sure who said it, but “All that is required for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Personally I find it worrying that we are having this discussion, in the UK, in 2023. Something is going seriously wrong when we're all arguing about whether a tweet from an ex-footballer/face of the BBC was right or wrong. Shouldn't we be concerned that some of us think he has a valid point & some of us don't agree. To me, the division being caused by it, is the most alarming part.
To think that 'anyone' thinks that the government are using a 'language' not too dissimilar to the German propaganda posters of the1930's is bloody worrying! We are in 2023, these conversations shouldn't be happening & yet here we are discussing whether GL was right or wrong to suggest the Governments use of language was reminiscent of German propaganda. Brexit?, yes argue. Covid response?, yes lets argue, however this should not be argued about! Some of us are worried that this 'stop the boats' three word campaign slogan is going to cause more 'othering' than what there already is.
Somewhere in a thread on here there is a link to a story about kids being moved to another area so wont be able to take their GCSE's, that could technically be a breach of the UNCRC. Some of us are fine for the EUHR to be binned as we're no longer members & some of us are not fine with the idea. No one seems to have noticed that we're very close to breaching UN treaties!
I'm really disturbed by the fact that in the UK, in 2023 we're even having to have a discussion about whether our politics is bordering on being similar to Nazi Germany's. At least (as far as I know) digital footprints can never truly be deleted. It's not the 'discussion' itself that's worrying, it's that fact that this discussion has occurred concerns me most.
Edit to add that I'm on team GL if anything is unclear.
Just for clarity, the European Convention on Human Rights has nothing to do with the EU. The signatories of the ECHR are the 46 members of the Council of Europe, which was set up (funnily enough) by the Treaty of London just after the second world war. It's unfortunate that some (mainly Tory) politicians seem to want to associate the ECHR with the EU.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a daft self-inflicted wound by the BBC this whole thing has been.

I say self-inflicted, inflicted by the Tories ultimately if we're honest.

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Just for clarity, the European Convention on Human Rights has nothing to do with the EU. The signatories of the ECHR are the 46 members of the Council of Europe, which was set up (funnily enough) by the Treaty of London just after the second world war. It's unfortunate that some (mainly Tory) politicians seem to want to associate the ECHR with the EU.
As you say, particularly unfortunate when you dig a bit into how and why the ECHR was created

Quotes from the linked article:

"The European Convention on Human Rights came into effect on 3 September 1953.

In the early 1940s, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill raised the idea of a ‘Council of Europe’. In the wake of World War II and the horrors of the Holocaust, the idea behind the Council of Europe was to set up an international organisation to promote democracy, the rule of law and human rights.

The Council was established by ten states, including the United Kingdom, on 5 May 1949. On 12 August 1949, Churchill said:

“The dangers threatening us are great but great too is our strength, and there is no reason why we should not succeed in… establishing the structure of this united Europe whose moral concepts will be able to win the respect and recognition of mankind…”

The Council of Europe set to work creating a human rights convention. Again, Churchill was an advocate; he proclaimed:

“In the centre of our movement stands the idea of a Charter of Human Rights, guarded by freedom and sustained by law.”

That ‘Charter of Human Rights’ of which Churchill spoke was named the European Convention on Human Rights.

One of the key writers of the European Convention on Human Rights was British Conservative MP and lawyer David Maxwell-Fyfe. Maxwell-Fyfe’s contribution to the Convention was so great that has been described as “the doctor who brought the child to birth”."

Before his leading role in drafting the Convention, Maxwell-Fyfe had been deputy British prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war criminals. He was also involved in drafting the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally I find it worrying that we are having this discussion, in the UK, in 2023. Something is going seriously wrong when we're all arguing about whether a tweet from an ex-footballer/face of the BBC was right or wrong. Shouldn't we be concerned that some of us think he has a valid point & some of us don't agree. To me, the division being caused by it, is the most alarming part.
To think that 'anyone' thinks that the government are using a 'language' not too dissimilar to the German propaganda posters of the1930's is bloody worrying! We are in 2023, these conversations shouldn't be happening & yet here we are discussing whether GL was right or wrong to suggest the Governments use of language was reminiscent of German propaganda. Brexit?, yes argue. Covid response?, yes lets argue, however this should not be argued about! Some of us are worried that this 'stop the boats' three word campaign slogan is going to cause more 'othering' than what there already is.
Somewhere in a thread on here there is a link to a story about kids being moved to another area so wont be able to take their GCSE's, that could technically be a breach of the UNCRC. Some of us are fine for the EUHR to be binned as we're no longer members & some of us are not fine with the idea. No one seems to have noticed that we're very close to breaching UN treaties!
I'm really disturbed by the fact that in the UK, in 2023 we're even having to have a discussion about whether our politics is bordering on being similar to Nazi Germany's. At least (as far as I know) digital footprints can never truly be deleted. It's not the 'discussion' itself that's worrying, it's that fact that this discussion has occurred concerns me most.
Edit to add that I'm on team GL if anything is unclear.
I'm not sure whether you are worried we hare having this discussion because it is obvious Lineker is right, or because it is obvious that he is wrong (and the UK is definitely not adopting positions that are similar to those adopted by Hitler as he cranked up his 'blame the Other for all ills' strategy).

Personally the most alarming thing for me was when Johnson rewrote the ministerial code so that it made it fine for an MP to do anything he damned well likes, as long as he sincerely believes he is not breaking any rules. I am disinclined to bring any past regimes, British or German into the conversation here. But I don't need to. That action by Johnson, and the ease with which he got away with it, is beyond marking one's own homework. It is fascist. And by using that word, the likes of wokewanka will claim this utterly destroys my point (and that what Johnson did, and the present shower are doing is, ergo, absolutely right).

Words, eh?

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Lineker back, BBC to apologise to him.

I'll give it about an hour before we get the usual noise about the BBC bowing to pressure from the Wokerati or whatever hilarious name they're giving it these days

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Why wasn't this ' solidarity ' shown when three ex players, after many years of sterling and loyal service, were sacked by Sky. Namely...Phil Thomson...Charlie Nicholas and Matt Le Tissier.

what were they sacked for?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why wasn't this ' solidarity ' shown when three ex players, after many years of sterling and loyal service, were sacked by Sky. Namely...Phil Thomson...Charlie Nicholas and Matt Le Tissier.
Because nobody cared? Because they were sacked for being shit and dull?

Whatabout thinking up another whatabout? ???

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Gary Lineker and BBC management have reached a deal to get the presenter back on air, after the weekend's disruption to BBC Sport schedules.

Director General Tim Davie says: “Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here