Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hart released

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Braders broke the news in the other thread :)

seagulls.co.uk

Gary Hart will bid farewell to Albion over the next two games, having been told his contract will not be renewed at the end of the season.

Poyet said, "It's the hardest thing to do as a manager, particularly when you are dealing with such a fantastic professional and a nice guy like Harty.

"When I arrived it quickly became clear that I had an excellent professional, who was a great example to the club's younger professional.

"He may not have played a great deal of games, but he has been an important senior member of the squad and a pleasure to manage.

"I would like to thank Gary for his efforts in the last 18 months, and say good luck for the future."

Hart has been with the Seagulls for 13 years - famously signing for £1000 and a set of tracksuits from Essex non-leaguers Stansted.

With the final game at Withdean fast approaching, Hart is the only Albion player to have featured in each of the club's 12 years at our current home - and has made a total of 415 appearances, netting 46 goals.

While listed as a striker, 34-year-old Hart has been a versatile performer, fulfilling many roles during his time here, and will go down in history as one of the most honest and hard-working players to have represented the club.

He picked up back-to-back championship medals in 2001 and 2002, and was a member of the side that beat Bristol City in the Division Two play-off final in 2004.

and

Tributes have been paid to Albion striker Gary Hart, who is being released by the club at the end of the season.

Chairman Tony Bloom said, "Gary has been a terrific servant to the club. Having signed for such a small sum of money, he has repaid that fee many times over.

"It has been Roy of the Rovers stuff, being plucked from county football by Jeff Wood, his achievements here have exceeded any expectations when he first arrived in 1999.

"Back-to-back championships, the playoff final win and promotion, staying up in 2005 were all brilliant highlights for Gary, and of course he was such a key player in the great escape under Russell Slade.

"Over the last two seasons he may not have featured regularly in the first team, but he has been an important influence on the younger players coming through the development squad, leading by example.

"Gary Hart has been an effervescent and passionate professional to have around the club over the last 13 years. He has been a big success at Brighton, and I wish him well for the rest of his career."

Gus Poyet added, "When I arrived it quickly became clear that I had an excellent professional, who was a great example to the club's younger professional.

"He may not have played a great deal of games, but he has been an important senior member of the squad and a pleasure to manage.

"I would like to thank Gary for his efforts in the last 18 months, and say good luck for the future."

Guy Butters, who also played in the Millennium Stadium victory, told seagulls.co.uk, "On and off the pitch, Gary was a great lad to have around during my time at the club - a real character.

"If ever you found yourself under pressure at the back in games you knew that he would always be a good outlet, given his work ethic and tenacity.

"He'd give the side a bit of breathing space with his energy, hustle and bustle - he was old school in that respect. Having also come from non-league, you could tell he really appreciated being a professional footballer and he never became a big-time charlie. He was always grounded, which is why the fans could also relate to him.

"He was a versatile player, turning out on the wing - like he did in Cardiff - up front, even at right-back. But I've seen the videos from before my time at Brighton and he also scored his fair share of goals. He was an integral member of the squad."

Having only packed up playing last year, at the age of 40, Butters has also urged Hart to carry on playing.

He added, "Orient seem to like signing ex-Albion players so he might end up there, while he might ask his mate Jonesy for a game at Yeovil, but even if he drops into non-league, there's a good living to be had.

"He's always been a fit lad and I'm sure, under Gus Poyet, he would have been kept in the peak of physical fitness, so there's no reason why he can't carry on playing for a few years yet."

Hart has made 299 starts for the club and while he has two more chances to make it 300, he admits it's the memories rather than statistics that he walks away from the club with.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "If I do get to start or even play against Huddersfield or Notts County, I want to do it on merit, rather than sentimental reasons.

"I've never been one for statistics and instead look back at the memories of my time at Brighton. Given where we came from when I arrived here [Gillingham], it's been a successful period in the club's history, and we've really punched above our weight.

"I've got lots of happy memories, have played with some great team-mates, and have always had a good rapport with the fans.

"When the day comes when I finally walk out of the building for the last time, there will be sadness but plenty of pride too. I've been at a special club."

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
100% top bloke, anyone who was at Bristol Rovers two years ago, when we looked CERTS to be relegated to League 2, will appreciate OGH and his never say die attitude.

Best wishes for the future Harty.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's fair enough IMHO, but good luck OGH and thanks :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ditto Bristol Rovers game comments. In fact Hart and Owusu single handed kept us up that season. Hart has always been a true legend in my mind. I desperately hope he gets either a start on Saturday or a good half hour coming on as sub. I will clap loud and long.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Interesting quote from the Argus

See tomorrow's Argus for an exclusive interview with Hart, why he could still play again for Albion

Does this mean he might lead out the stiffs at the Amex? It would be a fitting finale for our last playing link to Gillingham.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
100% top bloke, anyone who was at Bristol Rovers two years ago, when we looked CERTS to be relegated to League 2, will appreciate OGH and his never say die attitude.

Best wishes for the future Harty.
definitely this , the great escape was built around Harty and Owusu and for that I'm forever grateful , and wish him the upmost best of luck.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ditto Bristol Rovers game comments. In fact Hart and Owusu single handed kept us up that season. Hart has always been a true legend in my mind. I desperately hope he gets either a start on Saturday or a good half hour coming on as sub. I will clap loud and long.

He gave us belief through his performance in that game. Had it not been for him and big Lloyd I suspect we would not have Gus in charge today and the excitement of COMPETING in the Championship next season (as opposed to clinging onto lifeboats as we did before).

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Got to say that he's been knocked here recently re. his future worth, but his time with us goes back to 1998, and it is for the memory of the VAST majority of those 13 years, when he led by utter example, that should stick with us. Even recently, he's been on the bench because GP knew he could be relied upon. I would be chuffed to bits if he ended up no our coaching staff at some point in the future. After all, he is a Giggs of the League!

Very very good luck OGH and thanks for it all.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I'm sure come the end of the season, it won't have been the last time we see OGH around the club.

Top, top fella.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Not many players these days can say they are a one club man.
What a period to be a Brighton player eh? When he looks back he can't say his career hasn't been eventful.
And four medals in the bag too, So many players go through their careers not winning one.

A great servant to the club & from a personable stance, I hope he doesn't go to another League club but gets a job at The Amex.
It is great that our manager & chairman are taking the view that players should be here on merit & not what they have done/contributed in the past. Football is a brutal game & finally it seems that just not off the pitch but on the pitch the club is becoming championship professional.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
I have one of the old black Skint away shirts signed by Harty - Guess what I'll be wearing tomorrow?
:dance:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
OGH :bowdown: Will he become a non contract player during July allowing him to play in the SSC at Falmer ? If Orient fail to make the playoffs I wonder if RS will offer him a 2 year contract ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here