Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Southgate: 90 minutes to save his job?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We'll get to the final. Johnson is the most opportunist and luckiest politician there's ever been. Us doing well while he's PM fits into that narrative Brexit stuff. Oh and we're quite solid.

Is that why Putin got his forces to create an incident in the Black Sea?

Out of Euros but we can push NATO around!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ahhh.. I just felt that bloody rush of optimism. EVERY. SINGLE. TOURNAMENT this happens! :angry:

That's partly why I LOVE the big international tournaments. That sense of optimism and excitement that builds and builds no matter what history/logic/your head says.

It's like pre-season. Every new signing is going to be a hit and we're definitely going to have a great season.

The difference is that it quickly becomes apparent that a regular season is probably not going to be a great one so you have to go through months of knowing the best you can hope for is mediocrity and you aren't going to win anything. Whereas with tournament football, no matter how bad you're playing if you're still in it, you still have a chance of winning.

And, on the flip side, when you're knocked out, you're out. There's no prolonged agony. You're outta there.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The general view was that if we play Germany as we did in the group stages we’ll get beat. Germany will simply control the game. If we have put them under pressure and be more attacking then it’ll cause the Germans a lot more problems.
General consensus is the either France or Italy will win.

The first point seems a little hypocritical - we completely controlled 2 of the 3 games in our group, so if we “play like we did” we’ll go 1-0 up and control the game - we weren’t carved open a single time in the group stage.

If Germany control the game then we won’t be playing like we did in the group at all.

Agree on France or Italy winning.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's partly why I LOVE the big international tournaments. That sense of optimism and excitement that builds and builds no matter what history/logic/your head says.

It's like pre-season. Every new signing is going to be a hit and we're definitely going to have a great season.

The difference is that it quickly becomes apparent that a regular season is probably not going to be a great one so you have to go through months of knowing the best you can hope for is mediocrity and you aren't going to win anything. Whereas with tournament football, no matter how bad you're playing if you're still in it, you still have a chance of winning.

And, on the flip side, when you're knocked out, you're out. There's no prolonged agony. You're outta there.

How suddenly and terminally you are knocked out in tournament football really ****ing hurts though. Like a child who is really enjoying being at a party and suddenly “it’s bedtime”.

It’s why major tournaments are the pinnacle of football for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
its not a good result but in hindsight it turned out to be ok . Scotland eliminated , we progress with no dramas. I think in England we get fixated that we have to tear every team apart every game or we are shit. A tournament is a process. We negotiated the first stage easily.

Now we move on and things get real.

Some of the over reactions comical

Spot on. So much utter nonsense on social media.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
How suddenly and terminally you are knocked out in tournament football really ****ing hurts though. Like a child who is really enjoying being at a party and suddenly “it’s bedtime”.

It’s why major tournaments are the pinnacle of football for me.

Yeah, that's true but I even quite like that. It's the essence of sport at it's purest. You either win or lose in that moment. No pro-longed campaign where teams/competitors slowly fall by the wayside. It's 1v 1. One winner one loser. Boom!

Which is also why I bloody love penalty shoot outs. The absolute purest essence of sport distilled into one tiny but incredibly powerful moment.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The first point seems a little hypocritical - we completely controlled 2 of the 3 games in our group, so if we “play like we did” we’ll go 1-0 up and control the game - we weren’t carved open a single time in the group stage.

If Germany control the game then we won’t be playing like we did in the group at all.

Agree on France or Italy winning.

We didn’t control the game against Scotland and both Croatia and the Czechs had chances. We flattered to deceive….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We didn’t control the game against Scotland and both Croatia and the Czechs had chances. We flattered to deceive….

Scotland didn’t have a single clear and decent chance on goal. We haven’t been carved open a single time in all the group games. We’ve looked very comfortable. Could do more in an attacking sense but been very good defensively.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, that's true but I even quite like that. It's the essence of sport at it's purest. You either win or lose in that moment. No pro-longed campaign where teams/competitors slowly fall by the wayside. It's 1v 1. One winner one loser. Boom!

Which is also why I bloody love penalty shoot outs. The absolute purest essence of sport distilled into one tiny but incredibly powerful moment.

100%. I can’t get people who are into football but aren’t into major tournaments. It’s peak football drama and romance.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Scotland didn’t have a single clear and decent chance on goal. We haven’t been carved open a single time in all the group games. We’ve looked very comfortable. Could do more in an attacking sense but been very good defensively.

And there lies the problem. By playing two DM’S we have little to offer going forward.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I sort of agree and sort of don't.

0-0 at home to Scotland considering that probably only three of their players would get in our squad (and two would be fighting over left back) is not a good result, Not in anyone's book.

However, when it comes to Ze Germans I'll take a 1-0 in the 93rd minute off Declan Rice's buttcheek so long as we beat them. Win the thing and Southgate will probably get knighted even if we Hughton our way through.

Ahem

(tightens shawl)

It's a funny old game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ooh, that Mings, though.

Oh, hang on...

:facepalm:

Yes, it has been solid :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Southgate is currently contracted until after WC 22 in Qatar, so:

a) why does he even need an extension and
b) why is this the right time to be making this public - just 4 days before the Germany match?

Surely today's anouncement will only further incentivise the Germans to embarrass England by beating them at Wembley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here