Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Southgate: 90 minutes to save his job?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think Brighton would have beaten England last night. or in any of the three games thus far

All GS has succeeded in doing is building a barely driveable diesel Astra from the entire contents of the Pro Drive Aston Martin factory. Yes it does a job of moving forward but its insipid, uninspired and clutching its RAC card.

Superb analogy :clap2:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
winning the group is failure according to this thread

No it isn't, it's the way we played that gives us no confidence that we can progress in the knockout games, that is why everyone seems to be climbing over each other to get the easiest opposistion next rather than bring it on.
Our football may work for us like Greece and Portugal as has been said already but I see far better sides than us qualifying, aiming low but hoping we can get through.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
No it isn't, it's the way we played that gives us no confidence that we can progress in the knockout games, that is why everyone seems to be climbing over each other to get the easiest opposistion next rather than bring it on.
Our football may work for us like Greece and Portugal as has been said already but I see far better sides than us qualifying, aiming low but hoping we can get through.

OK well that's your opinion, but the same doom merchants said the Czechs were the best team in the group and would beat us, wrong again. we've been comfortable in every game and only 1 other team hasn't conceded.

Onwards and upwards

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
OK well that's your opinion, but the same doom merchants said the Czechs were the best team in the group and would beat us, wrong again. we've been comfortable in every game and only 1 other team hasn't conceded.

Onwards and upwards

You do not seem to have understood the post, a doom merchant would say we are not going to win the next game or stand no chance of winning the tournament, i didn't say that, i said along with a lot of other people that the way we have played has given me no confidence that we can progress, I hope we play better, I hope we win, but I have seen sides who at this stage are far better than England.
We certainly have the (young) players to play a much more attacking, and expansive style of football than we have in the 3 games so far.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We'll get to the final. Johnson is the most opportunist and luckiest politician there's ever been. Us doing well while he's PM fits into that narrative Brexit stuff. Oh and we're quite solid.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Southgate plays like Hughton just with better players. No shot on target in the second half sums up this boring ******** of a manager. 20 goal assist Sancho on the bench the mans an idiot.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I am no Southgate fan but it would take an Iceland level performance to get him sacked or to resign so I think we’ve cleared that hurdle. Defeat in the next game would not get him the sack imo because we’ll be playing the quality of team we have gone out to in tournaments for decades. It’s like suggesting Potter should get the sack if we lose to a top six team :smile:

I always aim low when I’m supporting England

Resign ? Dream on.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
No chance GSouth goes, he's just lead us through our best group stage since 66. As long as we give a good account of ourselves against the Germans he will lead us to Qatar and beyond.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We'll get to the final. Johnson is the most opportunist and luckiest politician there's ever been. Us doing well while he's PM fits into that narrative Brexit stuff. Oh and we're quite solid.
We never won anything when in the EC/EU, winning this tournament just another Brexit dividend [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Not that it would be enjoyable at the time, but wouldn’t a penalty shootout victory over Germany, precisely 25 years and one week since our Euro 96 defeat, be cathartic for us all - not least Gareth Southgate of all people.

It’s almost written in the stars.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If he somehow beats Germany we are stuck with his style for another few years. Awful waste of talented players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he somehow beats Germany we are stuck with his style for another few years. Awful waste of talented players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But losing to Germany would be a better use of the talent?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You carry on thinking that, but its ok to judge all Scotland fans the same but not all media pundits because it doesn't suit your agenda, ok. Yes one pundit came out with that particular quote, there have been many, many others down the years, i dont have the time to go and find them all for you, but that comment in itself, is arrogant.

There will always be some who will say the English are arrogant, but dont paint us all with the same brush, it's a bit like saying all Scots are tight, or all northern towns are shitholes, only a fool would think the majority believe that.

I have already said several times England can and should do very well in this tournament, if you want to come out with 'statements of what realistically might happen' thats up to you, but also if you say you fancy England to get to at least the semis, i wont be saying your arrogant for thinking that.

Yes, ok fair comment, except I don't have an 'agenda' I have an 'opinion'. Now I'm guessing you have to go off and buy a replica Germany shirt and stock up on bratwurst and Becks before Tuesday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here