Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gardening advice. Weed scum

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so my lawn has become inundated with these bloody weeds.

I am clueless as to how to get rid.

Any green fingered advice would be superb.

Attachments

• 1000011001.jpg
    1000011001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 178

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dandelions.

There for ever unless you weed out the tap root.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Dandelions.

There for ever unless you weed out the tap root.
This. Four options :

1. Dig out every one you find making sure you get ALL the root.

2. Remove the whole lawn. Dig out all weeds and treat with an appropriate weed killer and then relay the lawn.

3. Not worry and just regularly mow.

4. Borrow my Springer and he'll turn your lawn into a Somme battlefield like he has my lawn.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
IMG_1084.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Literally, if you’re able to, dig them all out including the tap root. Keep repeating.

Just before the next 100% guaranteed very wet spell (with warm temp’s), lawn reseed all the bare patches.

[Not around the time of reseeding] use a weed and feed spread per the instructions.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Literally, if you’re able to, dig them all out including the tap root. Keep repeating.

Just before the next 100% very wet spell (with warm temp’s), lawn reseed all the bare patches.

[Not around the time of reseeding] use a weed and feed spread per the instructions.
This. Plus if you can get an organic feed that helps the grass to grow thicker that will also help suppress the weeds.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dandelions, let them grow and have tea and salads...

If you fancy some long work and probably a better lawn long term, then weed/fork them out individually ensuring you get the tap root. Your lawn looks like it could do with a good thatch removal, then you could reseed as someone says above, or personally I'd just do a lawn feed treatment, the healthier the lawn the more able it is to resist weeds.

Alternatively if you don't have pets, aren't fussed with being organic and don't mind poison, any broad leaf lawn treatment will deady bones them...Westland Resolva Lawn Weedkiller...don't let it drift anywhere though, it kills anything broadleaved so treat carefully. Which ever one you choose follow the instructions carefully re watering after treatment and keeping pets off. You can't compost the cuttings either (if you use the compost on veg beds). Not my option of choice, but just putting it out there for options...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
OK so my lawn has become inundated with these bloody weeds.

I am clueless as to how to get rid.

Any green fingered advice would be superb.
You might find some answers in this fascinating thread

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Dandelions aren't weeds, botanists consider them herbs. It wasn't that long ago that they were cultivated by gardeners, because all of the plants can be used. They are amazing plants - they provide early food for insects and pollinators love them, their seeds are loved by birds. You can use the young leaves in salads, the flowers in jam, jelly, vinegar or in salad, the tap root can be used as a coffee substitute, and I'm sure many other things.

Also, if you happen to have a rabbit, they are about their favourite food :)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Dandelions aren't weeds, botanists consider them herbs. It wasn't that long ago that they were cultivated by gardeners, because all of the plants can be used. They are amazing plants - they provide early food for insects and pollinators love them, their seeds are loved by birds. You can use the young leaves in salads, the flowers in jam, jelly, vinegar or in salad, the tap root can be used as a coffee substitute, and I'm sure many other things.

Also, if you happen to have a rabbit, they are about their favourite food :)
Multiple uses, but unsightly in a lawn. They can make a good nitrogen feed for bamboo. They're also a diuretic!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Your garden?
No not my handiwork - but I do let my part of my lawn grow really long around the pond and let wild flowers seed - have another patch of long grass each spring with narcissi growing - and ‘cultivate’ a wildflowers when I see them coming up in flower beds.

[Help] - Gardeners Question Time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here