Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gardening advice. Weed scum

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I made that lawn with seed 34 years ago. When I moved in the garden sloped down from right to left as per piccy, with a concrete path in the middle. I levelled it, dug a 2 foot trench on the left and buried all the concrete there. Then moved the hedge to where you see it. Veggies beyond. The plant bed on the right is recent; 5 years now.

Gardens take lots of work. I dig out lawn weeds and fertilize as per instructions on the pack.

1716581984396.png

Last edited:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
OK so my lawn has become inundated with these bloody weeds.

I am clueless as to how to get rid.

Any green fingered advice would be superb.

Without appearing too pedantic to my NSC friends, they look like a relative of the dandelion, called Hawkweed.

I use a knife to cut the taproot off as far down as I can and do the same with any regrowth. Eventually the plant should weaken and die without recourse to any herbicides. It all depends how patient you are, also as others have said, a good raking of the lawn and application of specific grass fertiliser would help to encourage the lawn to compete against the weeds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I made that lawn with seed 34 years ago. When I moved in the garden sloped down from right to lect as per piccy, with a concrete path in the middle. I levelled it, dug a 2 foot trench on the left and buried all the concrete there. Then move the hedge to where you see it. Veggies beyond. The plant bed on the right is recent; 5 years now.

Gardens take lots of work. I dig out lawn weeds and fertilize as per instructions on the pack.

View attachment 182927

Where are the famous Echiums?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This. Four options :

1. Dig out every one you find making sure you get ALL the root.

2. Remove the whole lawn. Dig out all weeds and treat with an appropriate weed killer and then relay the lawn.

3. Not worry and just regularly mow.

4. Borrow my Springer and he'll turn your lawn into a Somme battlefield like he has my lawn.

Number 3 - every time.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This. Four options :

2. Remove the whole lawn. Dig out all weeds and treat with an appropriate weed killer and then relay the lawn.

4. Borrow my Springer and he'll turn your lawn into a Somme battlefield like he has my lawn.

I have the same problem, I've told my neighbours I'm doing 'No Mow May'but I get the impression they think I'm blagging and being lazy. :unsure:
I'm going to try 'torch the lawn June' with a weed burner and blame @Tom Hark Preston Park if it all goes wrong as it was his suggestion and I've quoted the message to prove it. :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This. Four options :

:needpics: for option 4

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Definitely not Dandelions. More like Autumn Hawkbit. They do look very similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here