Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd get some weapons grade gardners it to raise it to the ground . . . Battery power is the way forward but you need to keep on top of it as they're not as tough as mains . . . .going forward, if you stay there, running some mains down there isn't the hardest thing to do . . . . Little shed for storage. .

I'll add it to my list.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
magnolia5.jpg

My Magnolia finally has a few flowers :thumbsup:

It's only taken 15 years :rolleyes:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Get a Goat.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I could do with some advice please gents.

I moved into our flat in early December and we have our own plot out the back.

There's 3 plots for each floor, ground floor is nearest the building and they have fenced in their bit. 2nd floor has the next one out and ours (1st floor the furthest away).

The flat had been lived in by an elderly couple so our main concern is a complete overhaul of inside but the garden area has been neglected for a long time as they both in their 90's.

Here is what it currently looks like......
View attachment 147596
View attachment 147597
View attachment 147598
View attachment 147599
View attachment 147600

I'm assuming I'm going to have to tackle this with a strimmer then mow it and then I can start weeding etc as the grass is over a foot high, Im not after a perfect lawn, just some useable outdoor space for the kids in the summer....

but then my next issue arises.... Which is power. It's a long way from the flat, down the stairs and out to the back and because downstairs have fenced in their area I can't luzz an extension lead out of the window....

I'm concentrating on inside decoration at the moment so any recommendations on half decent petrol mowers and strimmers or what makes/models to try and buy secondhand?

I've had a look at new but everything is well out of my price range at present...:down:
Honda petrol mowers are good but not cheap

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Big Dig has started.

Luckily I managed to answer the question:-

"Why would you bury a blanket?"

Before I found out, why you bury a blanket.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Big Dig has started.

Luckily I managed to answer the question:-

"Why would you bury a blanket?"

Before I found out, why you bury a blanket.
If its anything like our old house, the small front garden was like an animal Pascendale....to my knowledge 3 cats, 2 Hamsters and several Gerbils.

Edit : pillowcases were preferred to blankets and one Hamster was buried in a Gucci spectacle case which was quite classy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
These 2 looked most aggrieved when I started digging round a tree stump.

IMG_20220514_114605_991~2.jpg

IMG_20220514_114556_321~2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not going to get away with just 'digging round the edge' am I?

IMG_20220514_094649_705~2.jpg

IMG_20220514_165837_448~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The washing line doesn't look too good either

Temporary measure now I got rid of enough of the wild garlic to take the smell away.
It'll go round the corner...

...when I take up the carpet!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I could do with some advice please gents.

I moved into our flat in early December and we have our own plot out the back.

There's 3 plots for each floor, ground floor is nearest the building and they have fenced in their bit. 2nd floor has the next one out and ours (1st floor the furthest away).

The flat had been lived in by an elderly couple so our main concern is a complete overhaul of inside but the garden area has been neglected for a long time as they both in their 90's.

Here is what it currently looks like......
View attachment 147596
View attachment 147597
View attachment 147598
View attachment 147599
View attachment 147600

I'm assuming I'm going to have to tackle this with a strimmer then mow it and then I can start weeding etc as the grass is over a foot high, Im not after a perfect lawn, just some useable outdoor space for the kids in the summer....

but then my next issue arises.... Which is power. It's a long way from the flat, down the stairs and out to the back and because downstairs have fenced in their area I can't luzz an extension lead out of the window....

I'm concentrating on inside decoration at the moment so any recommendations on half decent petrol mowers and strimmers or what makes/models to try and buy secondhand?

I've had a look at new but everything is well out of my price range at present...:down:

Have you thought about hiring mariners to get it down to a manageable level…and then look to buy machinery that will cope with grass of a ‘normal’ height….as regards to buying what’s your budget?
Also where will you be storing the machinery

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jesus fudgin Christ, just 2 months ago I thought I was going to find Colonel Kurtz living down the other end.

….and did you? Bet was hiding in that storage box ……I only mention the fencing as no matter what u do at ground level your eyes will always go to the fencing..and it’s best to work from the perimeter in :)

Ps best of luck eliminating the wild garlic….pain in the arse that stuff

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If its anything like our old house, the small front garden was like an animal Pascendale....to my knowledge 3 cats, 2 Hamsters and several Gerbils.

Edit : pillowcases were preferred to blankets and one Hamster was buried in a Gucci spectacle case which was quite classy.

Great upcycling!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Have you thought about hiring mariners to get it down to a manageable level…and then look to buy machinery that will cope with grass of a ‘normal’ height….as regards to buying what’s your budget?
Also where will you be storing the machinery

Today we actually sat outside and met our neighbours properly. Great to meet them and talk rather than a quick chat on the stairs or in the hallway.

Downstairs let me "plug in" so I've spent a good few hours strimming, raking, cutting, strimming cutting raking *repeat ad finitum*. It's still very long and lots of bits missed but it's a start at least.

The main problems the fact it's so uneven! I've walked through flatter cow fields! Going to be very difficult to get an even cut and unless I use one of those tarmac whacking plate machine things I don't think it's ever going to be anywhere "level"

What ever we buy will be in the asbestos roofed brick shed that comes with the place.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Today we actually sat outside and met our neighbours properly. Great to meet them and talk rather than a quick chat on the stairs or in the hallway.

Downstairs let me "plug in" so I've spent a good few hours strimming, raking, cutting, strimming cutting raking *repeat ad finitum*. It's still very long and lots of bits missed but it's a start at least.

The main problems the fact it's so uneven! I've walked through flatter cow fields! Going to be very difficult to get an even cut and unless I use one of those tarmac whacking plate machine things I don't think it's ever going to be anywhere "level"

What ever we buy will be in the asbestos roofed brick shed that comes with the place.

Starting is always the hardest thing….you’ll get there ..in time it’ll look a lot better with regular cutting …good to hear you’ve got some decent storage space
So I’m assuming petrol or battery ….I use both for work purposes …Judging by the photo I’d lean towards petrol …get what you pay for …if you think you’ll always have a garden then that should be factored in

Ps mariners meant to read machinery

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Starting is always the hardest thing….you’ll get there ..in time it’ll look a lot better with regular cutting …good to hear you’ve got some decent storage space
So I’m assuming petrol or battery ….I use both for work purposes …Judging by the photo I’d lean towards petrol …get what you pay for …if you think you’ll always have a garden then that should be factored in

Ps mariners meant to read machinery

Both upstairs and downstairs have battery lawnmowers and they let me plug in a borrowed powered strimmer. I've used 2 different mowers and 8 battery charges to do 3/4 of it down to 3" height filling up 4 black bags of trimmings.

I will go battery powered eventually but it needs the whole summer of work to get it half decent.

Still needs a bloody good raking too but it was bloody hot today and wanted to drink ice cold cider more than work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here