Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If its for cricketers, something 'herby'?:lolol:

The busiest plant in our front garden is lavender, always a queue for snacks, even hawk moths on occasion, low maintenance, smells nice. . . . I'm not really qualified to comment on anything else.

No need to enrich the soil, the poorer the better and always free draining for Lavender.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can the panel please advise me on how best to populate this planter at my cricket club?

It is roughly 5ftx3ft. Soil depth is not great but presumably adequate for likely size of plants. It can/will be watered most days as needed but lower maintenance would be good if not compromising aesthetic.

Which flowers will be best and how should they be arranged?

Grateful in advance for all help.View attachment 147285

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Sorry, but that looks hideous. Get rid! Planters like this are nothing but trouble and will never look any good unless looked after fanatically.
Remove it and plant a tree suitable for a small garden, like a Crab-apple, small Flowering Cherry or variety of Mountain Ash. Water it once a week from now until October, keep the base clear of weeds and that's it, job done.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No need to enrich soil, the poorer the better and always free draining for Lavender.

Like grapes then . . . I have 4 vines that thrive in crap soil at the back of the pond, up an old bungaroosh/flint wall, south facing, sun and rain seems to yield the odd case of wine . . . . When I can be bothered! :rolleyes:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sorry, but that looks hideous. Get rid! Planters like this are nothing but trouble and will never look any good unless looked after fanatically.
Remove it and plant a tree suitable for a small garden, like a Crab-apple, small Flowering Cherry or variety of Mountain Ash. Water it once a week from now until October, keep the base clear of weeds and that's it, job done.
Is that right? Why is it so crap compared to the large pots or half barrels that people plant up on patios and outside pubs?

It was, however, certainly rubbish last year with marigolds and pansies planted in straight lines....

Reasonably fanatical looking after is feasible between now and September. Given we are committed to doing it - at least for one more year - is there any more constructive advice?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is that right? Why is it so crap compared to the large pots or half barrels that people plant up on patios and outside pubs?

It was, however, certainly rubbish last year with marigolds and pansies planted in straight lines....

Reasonably fanatical looking after is feasible between now and September. Given we are committed to doing it - at least for one more year - is there any more constructive advice?

09AFE538-BE95-4614-9A6F-3B5C7A6AE17B.png

Tomorrow.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I apologize if my reply wasn't helpful to you, but in my experience dealing with peoples' desire for planters has always ended badly with dead plants, usually due to the novelty of maintaining them wearing off. I would always advise trees over planters.
Should this planter have to have plants, you won't go far wrong with Geraniums (Pelargoniums). Plant 9 plants per m2, and perhaps add Verbena bonariensis between them. It's a tried and trusted mixture used in parks for years as it is reliable and needs little watering. The only maintenance apart from weeding would be dead-heading of the Geraniums.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I apologize if my reply wasn't helpful to you, but in my experience dealing with peoples' desire for planters has always ended badly with dead plants, usually due to the novelty of maintaining them wearing off. I would always advise trees over planters.
Should this planter have to have plants, you won't go far wrong with Geraniums (Pelargoniums). Plant 9 plants per m2, and perhaps add Verbena bonariensis between them. It's a tried and trusted mixture used in parks for years as it is reliable and needs little watering. The only maintenance apart from weeding would be dead-heading of the Geraniums.

Perfect, thank you, will go with that.

Presumably a regular geometric sort of pattern is appropriate in this instance? And, is Verbena bonariensis easy to buy (e.g. B&Q?)?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
About ten years' ago, I was asked to install planters outside the shops in Leybourne Road, Bevendean. I explained the pros and cons between planters and trees, and it was decided to have trees. No one came back later and said it was the wrong decision.
Although this is a winter photo, you can imagine how lovely these Whitebeam look in the spring through to the autumn and how they break up the visual hardness of the shops.

Attachments

• Leybourne Road.JPG
    Leybourne Road.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 76

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Perfect, thank you, will go with that.

Presumably a regular geometric sort of pattern is appropriate in this instance? And, is Verbena bonariensis easy to buy (e.g. B&Q?)?

I was told to plant bedding plants the same distance apart, but not in straight lines. An impossibility! It doesn't really matter. Straight lines of plants means you may see straight lines of soil which is why we were taught not to plant in straight lines!
B&Q or any garden centre should sell Geraniums and Verbena. Leave the planting until the end of May or you may lose the Geraniums if there's a late frost.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Black Aphid eggs, without nuking from orbit, or chemical warfaring the little shits into oblivion. Is there anywhere in the shire of Sussex that i can get lacewing larvae or ladybird soldiers to start annihilating them today?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I know Jack has already qualified his post, but here is my two penneth.

Because pots/planters on patios and outside pubs are 9 times out of 10 a way to bring flora to an urban spot. What I mean is somewhat self explanatory, patio will usually be concrete, pub space ditto or decking. What you appear to have there is a man made container of soil/compost, placed on top of …………SOIL!

Why not plant whatever it is that you like directly into the SOIL? Plants will be happier, less watering required and you could have both ideas, tree surrounded by bedding or shrubs. Planters have their place, I have plenty, where you cannot grow directly into Mother Earth.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
View attachment 147473
Evil little gits are not eggs upon zooming in, shits are mobile.

I would certainly snip that little branch off if it's not a vital part of the plant. Then perhaps do a bit of manual daily squishing of the little blighters?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I could do with some advice please gents.

I moved into our flat in early December and we have our own plot out the back.

There's 3 plots for each floor, ground floor is nearest the building and they have fenced in their bit. 2nd floor has the next one out and ours (1st floor the furthest away).

The flat had been lived in by an elderly couple so our main concern is a complete overhaul of inside but the garden area has been neglected for a long time as they both in their 90's.

Here is what it currently looks like......
Compress_20220507_083657_7007.jpg
Compress_20220507_083656_6363.jpg
Compress_20220507_083656_6607.jpg
Compress_20220507_083656_6814.jpg
Compress_20220507_083606_6673.jpg

I'm assuming I'm going to have to tackle this with a strimmer then mow it and then I can start weeding etc as the grass is over a foot high, Im not after a perfect lawn, just some useable outdoor space for the kids in the summer....

but then my next issue arises.... Which is power. It's a long way from the flat, down the stairs and out to the back and because downstairs have fenced in their area I can't luzz an extension lead out of the window....

I'm concentrating on inside decoration at the moment so any recommendations on half decent petrol mowers and strimmers or what makes/models to try and buy secondhand?

I've had a look at new but everything is well out of my price range at present...:down:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I could do with some advice please gents.

I moved into our flat in early December and we have our own plot out the back.

There's 3 plots for each floor, ground floor is nearest the building and they have fenced in their bit. 2nd floor has the next one out and ours (1st floor the furthest away).

The flat had been lived in by an elderly couple so our main concern is a complete overhaul of inside but the garden area has been neglected for a long time as they both in their 90's.

Here is what it currently looks like......
View attachment 147596
View attachment 147597
View attachment 147598
View attachment 147599
View attachment 147600

I'm assuming I'm going to have to tackle this with a strimmer then mow it and then I can start weeding etc as the grass is over a foot high, Im not after a perfect lawn, just some useable outdoor space for the kids in the summer....

but then my next issue arises.... Which is power. It's a long way from the flat, down the stairs and out to the back and because downstairs have fenced in their area I can't luzz an extension lead out of the window....

I'm concentrating on inside decoration at the moment so any recommendations on half decent petrol mowers and strimmers or what makes/models to try and buy secondhand?

I've had a look at new but everything is well out of my price range at present...:down:

Someone will be along with more knowledge than me, but have you considered rechargeable battery powered ?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Maybe get some one in to give it an initial strim and mow. You should be able to get a visit for a score. Then you could buy a cordless setup which will be easier to use for slightly cheaper than petrol stuff, which can be hit and miss if you're unfamiliar with it

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Someone will be along with more knowledge than me, but have you considered rechargeable battery powered ?

I have but looking at the length and thickness of it all I think it would take a whole weekend as I can't imagine battery power would be up to it.......

But it's certainly an option once it's short for normal cutting...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Maybe get some one in to give it an initial strim and mow. You should be able to get a visit for a score. Then you could buy a cordless setup which will be easier to use for slightly cheaper than petrol stuff, which can be hit and miss if you're unfamiliar with it

:thumbsup:

It's the only way I think. Let someone with the tools do it rather than struggle myself!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd get some weapons grade gardners it to raise it to the ground . . . Battery power is the way forward but you need to keep on top of it as they're not as tough as mains . . . .going forward, if you stay there, running some mains down there isn't the hardest thing to do . . . . Little shed for storage. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here