Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gutted.

This morning I come downstairs to see Chris having breakfast.
Go back into the house get my phone.
Faff around like an old man out of touch with the 21st century.
Chris is still dining out.
Get into position.
Press play.
Chris fecks off home.

He did pop back later but only briefly.

Last edited:

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Apple tree suffering from brown rot (diagnosed via google images and searching).
Does however appear to be the case obvious signs on the apples, fruit and leaves already dropping.

Is there anything that can be done to treat this now?
Google searching just throws up, remove infected apples, cut back branches that carry said fruit.

Without having a drone capable of holding a 18 stone human up at that height, ladder not practical, due to trees location, that is not going to be a feasible option.

Is it a case of waiting for Summer and Autumn to pass, luzz the apples once dropped as far as possible, get the saw out in Winter and spray it with an anti brown rot spray (not found one that exists)??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apple tree suffering from brown rot (diagnosed via google images and searching).
Does however appear to be the case obvious signs on the apples, fruit and leaves already dropping.

Google searching just throws up, remove infected apples, cut back branches that carry said fruit.

Without having a drone capable of holding a 18 stone human up at that height, ladder not practical, due to trees location, that is not going to be a feasible option.

Is it a case of waiting for Summer and Autumn to pass, luzz the apples once dropped as far as possible, get the saw out in Winter and spray it with an anti brown rot spray (not found one that exists)??

Save time get the saw out now.

You need a couple incisions at the base of the tree.
One minor cut about halfway into the trunk.

Now for the clever bit.

A further incision on the other side, directly opposite, also halfway into the trunk.

Badda bing - problem solved.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The Rockery this month has a 6 page spread in the RHS magazine The Garden. This is probably as good as it gets in horticultural terms.

9A722DC5-5C9C-474C-908B-116C47F03E01.jpeg

FA03A4D3-49E2-4E1F-A12A-6AF9F7126275.jpeg

1D1DACA6-76E8-4917-8E63-3F18B1BA392B.jpeg

29C05485-4D12-4C8E-815E-C5EF24566CD8.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I'm not good on fruit, but I know a man who is. I'll send him your query and if he responds, I'll post it back on here.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Gutted.

This morning I come downstairs to see Chris having breakfast.
Go back into the house get my phone.
Faff around like an old man out of touch with the 21st century.
Chris is still dining out.
Get into position.
Press play.
Chris fecks off home.

He did pop back later but only briefly.

I wondered how Chris was doing. Can't get enough of his adventures!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wondered how Chris was doing. Can't get enough of his adventures!

I'm afraid they're coming to an end.
I will be dead heading the poppies very soon, then they're outta here.

Fingers crossed I'll get a goodbye from Chris before the end of the weekend.

It's been emotional.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Don't dead head the poppies, let the seed heads dry and disperse the billions of seed. Then you'll have an annual display of somniferums for your little bee friends to enjoy

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't dead head the poppies, let the seed heads dry and disperse the billions of seed. Then you'll have an annual display of somniferums for your little bee friends to enjoy

Oh I read

Wait for them to brown.
Cut the heads off.
Store them for a couple of weeks to dry out.
Pop the pods into a jar.

Then I'm ready to go next spring.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Further to my posts above about the rockery. A member of the public rang me at 5pm saying someone had tipped an entire bottle of fairy liquid into the top of the waterfall.
Drove to work...from bloody East Hoathly and the froth and foam was everywhere. Turned the waterfall off....it was running for about an hour and a half so praying it wont affect the fish to much (all soap and detergent is lethal to all aquatic life) Time will tell.

Hopefully the person who rang me will take a photo of the retarded ****.....someone in their 40's or 50's apparently.

I'm now going to get very drunk :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I'm not good on fruit, but I know a man who is. I'll send him your query and if he responds, I'll post it back on here.

Here is my man's reply. He is a Cider Apple grower, so knows his onions!

"Brown Rot is a disease of apple fruit - Monilinia or Gleosporium I think. A picture would be very helpful.
The problem you describe is likely to be either Phytophthora or possibly Blossom Wilt or even a severe infestation of Scab.
Phytophthora is my bet. Also not helped by a long wet winter causing root death. Dig up and burn. Otherwise likely to die a long slow death.
Sorry not to be more positive."

Not looking good it seems?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sorry to hear about the moron who put detergent into the waterfall. There’s a lot of mindless idiots out there. Hope all is well. Congratulations on the great work you do there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

"Brown Rot is a disease of apple fruit - Monilinia or Gleosporium I think. A picture would be very helpful.
The problem you describe is likely to be either Phytophthora or possibly Blossom Wilt or even a severe infestation of Scab.
Phytophthora is my bet. Also not helped by a long wet winter causing root death. Dig up and burn. Otherwise likely to die a long slow death.

Nailed it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Question for all you gardeners out there:

I've got 3 large (ie 80cms long x 50 wide x 60 high) containers down the side of the house (ie in shade for all bar about 2 hours of the day between 11-1 pm). They are currently planted with fruit trees (1 apple - moderately successful), 1 Quince (failure) and 1 pear (failure). Obviously these particular fruit trees need sunshine to thrive which they don't get so I'm looking to replace them with shade liking shrubs or smallish trees - any suggestions? Someone said that Japanese Maple was a possibility?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Question for all you gardeners out there:

I've got 3 large (ie 80cms long x 50 wide x 60 high) containers down the side of the house (ie in shade for all bar about 2 hours of the day between 11-1 pm). They are currently planted with fruit trees (1 apple - moderately successful), 1 Quince (failure) and 1 pear (failure). Obviously these particular fruit trees need sunshine to thrive which they don't get so I'm looking to replace them with shade liking shrubs or smallish trees - any suggestions? Someone said that Japanese Maple was a possibility?

Have a look at some of the fargesias or prunus or fatsia or even pyracantha. The jap maples are ok if they are out of the wind. If so, have a look at the dissectum varieties. Some of the Holly varieties are nice, if you don;t mind getting scratched to bits during the annual prune.....actually, a bit like the pyracantha.
There is also sarcococca,skimmia, aucuba, chameadorea I could go on!

swd40

Mar 22, 2006

Thanks Jack will stick a picture up of the infected fruit that it’s dropping.

Not looking good if you are the other half and like the tree.
Not looking bad if like me your not fussed by it’s presence or lack of :D

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Have a look at some of the fargesias or prunus or fatsia or even pyracantha. The jap maples are ok if they are out of the wind. If so, have a look at the dissectum varieties. Some of the Holly varieties are nice, if you don;t mind getting scratched to bits during the annual prune.....actually, a bit like the pyracantha.
There is also sarcococca,skimmia, aucuba, chameadorea I could go on!

Thanks that's really helpful...I'll follow a few of those up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here