Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have some chilli plants growing in pots indoors. Recently they have become infested with what appears to be tiny whitefly (no idea how they got there as the pots are upstairs by a window, but they are all over the place). How can I get rid of the pests? Do they need spraying, which hasn't worked in the past and means I have to find somewhere that sells a spray that actually works - the little buggers just reappear more than ever. Do I have to wipe them off somehow (very slimy and might damage the plant). Will they keep coming back whatever I do?

If I put the plants outside will that make a difference?

You've correctly identified the pest - Whitefly!
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=193

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I have some chilli plants growing in pots indoors. Recently they have become infested with what appears to be tiny whitefly (no idea how they got there as the pots are upstairs by a window, but they are all over the place). How can I get rid of the pests? Do they need spraying, which hasn't worked in the past and means I have to find somewhere that sells a spray that actually works - the little buggers just reappear more than ever. Do I have to wipe them off somehow (very slimy and might damage the plant). Will they keep coming back whatever I do?

Similar experience here. Curiously the White Fly appeared on Chilli plants being grown inside a conservatory - but not in the greenhouse. Didn't fancy using pesticides. Initially I tried a daily misting with a fine soapy solution, which seemed to help. However they are persistent little b***ers, so moved the plants outside. I continued misting. Plus rain showers seemed to wash them off.

However, the cavalry arrived in the form of 'Bishy Barney Bees' (that's Norfolk-ese for Ladybirds), who seem to be dining out on the White Fly. All plants are now clear - for now (and Chillies are forming nicely).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I grow chillies myself, however, they are rarely attacked by Whitefly. I think what you are seeing is the drying husks of Aphids which lie on top of the chilli leaves as they fall from above, Whitefly will typically be UNDER the leaves if they are present.... they will also fly if disturbed. Check more carefully at the growing tips of your plants and you will find Greenfly. The cure is dilute Neem oil, or a very dilute mix of water and washing up liquid sprayed on regularly until they have gone.
Outside might help as Hoverflys and ladybirds can get stuck in to them.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
They could make a film about looking for something to get rid of Whitefly. Finding Neem Oil?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I grow chillies myself, however, they are rarely attacked by Whitefly. I think what you are seeing is the drying husks of Aphids which lie on top of the chilli leaves as they fall from above, Whitefly will typically be UNDER the leaves if they are present.... they will also fly if disturbed. Check more carefully at the growing tips of your plants and you will find Greenfly. The cure is dilute Neem oil, or a very dilute mix of water and washing up liquid sprayed on regularly until they have gone.
Outside might help as Hoverflys and ladybirds can get stuck in to them.

Definitely whitefly - shake the plant and they go everywhere. I've had to put them outside for now, and clean the window sill and windows which were covered with 1000s of them them and a sticky residue.

There might be greenfly as well but I haven't looked that close yet

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Definitely whitefly - shake the plant and they go everywhere. I've had to put them outside for now, and clean the window sill and windows which were covered with 1000s of them them and a sticky residue.

There might be greenfly as well but I haven't looked that close yet

Yes, if you shake them its like confetti, the dilute washing up liquid might still work though, about a teaspoonful per 2 litres of water.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They could make a film about looking for something to get rid of Whitefly. Finding Neem Oil?

It is quite a quest, usually only available online for realistic prices.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Anyone have any experience of successfully treating pear rust?

Also does anyone have a Japanese Persimmon and if so any tips to make it fruit?
Can't help here I'm afraid. No experience with either. Sorry.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone have any experience of successfully treating pear rust?

Also does anyone have a Japanese Persimmon and if so any tips to make it fruit?

300x300.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hoheria Sexstylosa....planted these for a customer a couple of years ago alongside a fence to screen off the neighbours abode...lovely flowers this time of year..unfortunately my customer is moving to a flat, so it’ll be the last time I see them.

They grow vertically too! Not sure why the photo has rotated

2123AB8A-5C5E-4F23-B46F-CA20F3572B14.jpeg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hoheria Sexstylosa....planted these for a customer a couple of years ago alongside a fence to screen off the neighbours abode...lovely flowers this time of year..unfortunately my customer is moving to a flat, so it’ll be the last time I see them.

View attachment 126265

There's always some sort of innuendo with you, and youve fallen over :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 126265

That's a new one on me. I've Googled it to get more info. Looks really nice and seems a good screening plant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They are excellent...grow fast evergreen ...beautiful flowers ..got them up at Big Plant where I get a good trade discount

Is Big Plant worth the trek from Brighton for a wander round for us amateurs. (ie Is it big and still cheap without the trade discount?)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is Big Plant worth the trek from Brighton for a wander round for us amateurs. (ie Is it still cheap without the trade discount?)

For what they stock I think it is... as regards to price I guess that’s subjective

They are only open certain days of the week currently and the cafe is closed for now, which is a pity

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For what they stock I think it is... as regards to price I guess that’s subjective

They are only open certain days of the week currently and the cafe is closed for now, which is a pity

I'll go take a look :thumbsup:

Sadly I'm at that age where wandering aimlessly round a Garden Centre rates as entertainment.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Is Big Plant worth the trek from Brighton for a wander round for us amateurs. (ie Is it big and still cheap without the trade discount?)

Big Plant is the business in my view if looking for a feature specimen or three. If you are looking for average bedding plants then look elsewhere. My info could be a few years out of date mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here