[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

westy

Jul 25, 2003
This all day. One sided story. Obviously not going to answer why he chose to keep his power dry which backfired in first halves time and again. Spectularly so on Sunday. If a less flash sounding British manager had been responsible for that performance there would be bedlam. Emperors clothes for me. Let's get some spirit, shape and invention back in that side.

Absolutely. How many times did we drift boringly to 0-0 at halftime at the Amex this season?! It was the safest bet in football. Saying he didn't have the players etc is not true. He played out of form players like Buckley when Lua Lua was sitting on the bench, picked JFC over Ince when Jake clearly needed a break, played Lopez 36 times, thats 36, when he was clearly out of form after having no pre season, preferred Bruno over Calde despite Bruno's obvious lack of defensive ability, I could go on.
Yes the budget was very tough but he also made some big mistakes along the way and dont even get me started on the uber cautious formations, style of play and lack of tempo/passion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Here is the problem then..... can we or any team, afford to carry a 'work in progress' when our aspirations are the top end of this division?
This season we had a new manager that didn't know our team or English football, had a lot of injuries, brought on a few of our inexperienced players, and still got us top 6. So yes, we can afford to have work in progress players. And with our new training facilities, I'd think the idea is that we're always bringing along young players (who, when making their first appearances for the first team, won't be as good as our more established players).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Absolutely. How many times did we drift boringly to 0-0 at halftime at the Amex this season?! It was the safest bet in football. Saying he didn't have the players etc is not true. He played out of form players like Buckley when Lua Lua was sitting on the bench, picked JFC over Ince when Jake clearly needed a break, played Lopez 36 times, thats 36, when he was clearly out of form after having no pre season, preferred Bruno over Calde despite Bruno's obvious lack of defensive ability, I could go on.
Yes the budget was very tough but he also made some big mistakes along the way and dont even get me started on the uber cautious formations, style of play and lack of tempo/passion.

I don't believe Oscar made any mistakes and he had no choice but to adjust to our weaknesses. When Lopez had a run of games Buckley, Oralndi and KLL were all out. Ince had been injured since Hull, and Solly isn't the finished article. It is too easy being a critic saying we should have played 442 and ask the players to be more attacking, it does not work like that.

Oscar came here at the wrong time and with everything considered on the finishing table position did a fantastic job with shockingly limited resources and personnel that would have struggled in League 1.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Does Burke speak Spanish? God knows how the two of them were ever able to work together.

This could be the problem now if there's no Espanol talked by the next manager. In note that OG's two Spanish assistants did not leave at the same time - have they now?

Your Hispanic contingent might feel it's time to move on, although Calde seems keen to stay. But I think he may have reached his ceiling of achievement sadly, from what I gather he was rather outclassed in the Derby games.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thats whats known as 'a sweeping statement'.

Nice one very clever, I don't remember putting my full stop there. My comment went on for two paragraphs explaining my thoughts so there was nothing sweeping about it.

Why don't you actually expand on or debate what I actually said intsead coming back with a "Cheating Statement" out of context Jeez

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Nice one very clever, I don't remember putting my full stop there. My comment went on for two paragraphs explaining my thoughts so there was nothing sweeping about it.

Why don't you actually expand on or debate what I actually said intsead coming back with a "Cheating Statement" out of context Jeez

Yeah, I'm quite pleased with that :)

You did also say that we had 'shockingly limited resources and personnel that would have struggled in league one', so I don't exactly know where to begin debating with you.

I suppose I could point out that Oscar started the season with seven of the first-team squad that stormed league one a couple of years ago, and I guess I could argue that Ulloa, Kuzsczak, Upson, Buckley are upgrades on what we had in league one?

Were you one of the ones who said last year that Gus blew our chance at promotion and should have won the league with the team we had?

anyway, I'm really not here for an argument. Abuse, maybe :lol:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Burke out now !!!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You did also say that we had 'shockingly limited resources and personnel that would have struggled in league one', so I don't exactly know where to begin debating with you.

I suppose I could point out that Oscar started the season with seven of the first-team squad that stormed league one a couple of years ago, and I guess I could argue that Ulloa, Kuzsczak, Upson, Buckley are upgrades on what we had in league one?

Were you one of the ones who said last year that Gus blew our chance at promotion and should have won the league with the team we had?

Completely changing the subject: Do you know if the documentary you starred in has been shown over here in the States yet? Any details on a title/channel etc?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Wasn't that clever I was being sarcastic :lolol:

No it wasn't me who said we should have won the league last year or even said he cost us promotion, apparently the clackers did :shrug:

Have you forgotten all the injuries we have had this season CMS, Hoskins, Orlandi, Buckley, Ulloa, Crofts, Stephens, KLL and on the final day Upson and Greer. I don't think that being forced to play Slopez on the wing for most of the season comes anywhere close to using a Bennett or Noone in League 1.

Anyway the worst I gave you last year was calling you monkey brain once, but only in a playful way :lolol:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Completely changing the subject: Do you know if the documentary you starred in has been shown over here in the States yet? Any details on a title/channel etc?

Excellent! :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wasn't that clever I was being sarcastic :lolol:

No it wasn't me who said we should have won the league last year or even said he cost us promotion, apparently the clackers did :shrug:

Have you forgotten all the injuries we have had this season CMS, Hoskins, Orlandi, Buckley, Ulloa, Crofts, Stephens, KLL and on the final day Upson and Greer. I don't think that being forced to play Slopez on the wing for most of the season comes anywhere close to using a Bennett or Noone in League 1.

Anyway the worst I gave you last year was calling you monkey brain once, but only in a playful way :lolol:

I was surprised he did as well as 6th, I'll give him that. That was completely based on the defence for which he can take little credit however, and he largely failed in his remit to make our attack better. He didnt have a settled squad, no doubt, but nothing really impoved when players cam eback from injury and I think the injuries excuse eventualy got overblown. There was a run of five games or so when it was really bad, but most of the time it wasn't exceptionally different to what we've been used to.

He wasn't totally rubbish, far from it, but I wouldn;t go too far with the praise, there was nothing over-the-top praiseworthy. He kept a listing ship on an even keel, and was clever enough not to do anything to the defence, so well done for that, a bit like Peter Taylor's season perhaps, but I strongly feel there was more in those players than we saw.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was surprised he did as well as 6th, I'll give him that. That was completely based on the defence for which he can take little credit however, and he largely failed in his remit to make our attack better. He didnt have a settled squad, no doubt, but nothing really impoved when players cam eback from injury and I think the injuries excuse eventualy got overblown. There was a run of five games or so when it was really bad, but most of the time it wasn't exceptionally different to what we've been used to.

He wasn't totally rubbish, far from it, but I wouldn;t go too far with the praise, there was nothing over-the-top praiseworthy. He kept a listing ship on an even keel, and was clever enough not to do anything to the defence, so well done for that, a bit like Peter Taylor's season perhaps, but I strongly feel there was more in those players than we saw.

Not convinced about the injuries excuse being overblown, and I'm not sure what players he could have got more from, do you have any names to go with that?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely. How many times did we drift boringly to 0-0 at halftime at the Amex this season?!
Only 7 out of the 23 home matches were 0-0 at half time this season. We eventually D2 of them and won the last 5.
Millwall (D 1-1)
Huddersfield (D 0-0)
Birmingham (W 1-0)
Doncaster R (W 1-0)
Leeds (W 1-0)
QPR (W2-0)
Yeovil (W2-0)

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm probably the exception here but I'm really pleased that the recruitment process we have at the club ensures that we scout thoroughly and are prudent with our cash. I'm also of the firm belief that our squad this season was good enough for automatic promotion. The best defense in the league is evidence of the solid platform OG had to win games. Too often when I saw us we were defensive and lethargic with no purposeful attacking commitment. Slow build up is fine but it is only fine if you are able to effectively inject pace and put defenders on the back foot. You need technically astute players to achieve this and I believe that at this level you will never be able to attract the quality to do so on a regular basis as defenses are quickly organised. For me it's all about risk. OG was risk averse. Our players were seldom committed to counter attacks, preferring to keep it slow and comfortable without ever really having any teeth. Next season we have to focus on keeping the ball when its right to do so. We must commit to getting forward when the opportunities present themselves, not just at 60 minutes when KLL comes on. We need someone who will keep the possession principle which allows us to defend effectively, who will bring on our youngsters further but also to take more risks.

Totally this - don't like at all some of the personal criticism being levelled at him as he was a good servant of the club - but our football went backwards on his watch, whether you are talking about our passing, our creativity, our attacking threat. We need a manager who can build on what Gus did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports