Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm probably the exception here but I'm really pleased that the recruitment process we have at the club ensures that we scout thoroughly and are prudent with our cash. I'm also of the firm belief that our squad this season was good enough for automatic promotion. The best defense in the league is evidence of the solid platform OG had to win games. Too often when I saw us we were defensive and lethargic with no purposeful attacking commitment. Slow build up is fine but it is only fine if you are able to effectively inject pace and put defenders on the back foot. You need technically astute players to achieve this and I believe that at this level you will never be able to attract the quality to do so on a regular basis as defenses are quickly organised. For me it's all about risk. OG was risk averse. Our players were seldom committed to counter attacks, preferring to keep it slow and comfortable without ever really having any teeth. Next season we have to focus on keeping the ball when its right to do so. We must commit to getting forward when the opportunities present themselves, not just at 60 minutes when KLL comes on. We need someone who will keep the possession principle which allows us to defend effectively, who will bring on our youngsters further but also to take more risks.

Almost a contradiction ???

Not really good enough to have a chance through the playoffs really.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Not convinced about the injuries excuse being overblown, and I'm not sure what players he could have got more from, do you have any names to go with that?

Our results over the first half of the season were almost identical to the second half, no names required, the injuries situation was overblown. The facts are, our form did not markedly improve after the so-called injury crisis abated.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Our results over the first half of the season were almost identical to the second half, no names required, the injuries situation was overblown. The facts are, our form did not markedly improve after the so-called injury crisis abated.

Our injury crisis didn't really abate, Crofts got injured, Ulloa took a long time to get anywhere near form, CMS still isn't fit enough for 90 mins, Buckley flattered to deceive and was never really fit to play, Orlandi never fully recovered, not to mention Bruno's ongoing problems and minor injuries to Greer and Upson which blighted the playoffs.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Only 7 out of the 23 home matches were 0-0 at half time this season. We eventually D2 of them and won the last 5.
Millwall (D 1-1)
Huddersfield (D 0-0)
Birmingham (W 1-0)
Doncaster R (W 1-0)
Leeds (W 1-0)
QPR (W2-0)
Yeovil (W2-0)

Er, Ipswich? Middlesborough? ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Er, Ipswich? Middlesborough? ???
Yep. Sorry . Missed Em. (and i stayed to the bitter end for both !!)

so 9 out of 23 home matches were 0-0.

Millwall (D 1-1)
Huddersfield (D 0-0)
Birmingham (W 1-0)
Doncaster R (W 1-0)
Leeds (W 1-0)
QPR (W2-0)
Ipswich (L 0-2)
Middlesborough (L 0-2)
Yeovil (W2-0)

Ipswich and Middlesborough were probably the bleakest it was last season.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Yep. Sorry . Missed Em. (and i stayed to the bitter end for both !!)

so 9 out of 23 home matches were 0-0.

Millwall (D 1-1)
Huddersfield (D 0-0)
Birmingham (W 1-0)
Doncaster R (W 1-0)
Leeds (W 1-0)
QPR (W2-0)
Ipswich (L 0-2)
Middlesborough (L 0-2)
Yeovil (W2-0)

Ipswich and Middlesborough were probably the bleakest it was last season.

Add Blackpool to the list

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Our injury crisis didn't really abate, Crofts got injured, Ulloa took a long time to get anywhere near form, CMS still isn't fit enough for 90 mins, Buckley flattered to deceive and was never really fit to play, Orlandi never fully recovered, not to mention Bruno's ongoing problems and minor injuries to Greer and Upson which blighted the playoffs.

This. Whatever your opinion on OG, this season was the worst I've ever known in terms of injuries. The problem is there is no evidence either way as to what OG would have done with even a semi fit squad.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This. Whatever your opinion on OG, this season was the worst I've ever known in terms of injuries. The problem is there is no evidence either way as to what OG would have done with even a semi fit squad.

After going through this type of season, you would have thought that Oscar would have stayed on, surely the light was at the end of the tunnel injuries wise.
Plus he would know more for his second season.

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
Unless the (likely) lure of Celta Vigo was more appealing.

This. He clearly has a job lined up. I wasn't a fan but in my opinion he was hampered massively by a slow defence. It meant having to play two deep midfielders to cover and no springing into the oppo area. IMHO that's where we need to focus on improving.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
This. He clearly has a job lined up. I wasn't a fan but in my opinion he was hampered massively by a slow defence. It meant having to play two deep midfielders to cover and no springing into the oppo area. IMHO that's where we need to focus on improving.

Yes Upson and Greer are excellent penalty box defenders but outside the area are distinctly average.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Enriquez of Celta Vigo favourite with Oscar to take over there as predicted earlier in the week.

I'll bet oscars now famous inability to communicate has been cured by Celta vigos number appearing on his mobile screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here