Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I think I must be missing something. Firstly our target this year was top 6 and we made top 6 despite a quite unbelievable number of injuries to key members of the squad. Therefore the only conclusion is that the target IS realistic and we CAN compete at this level under the current financial structure.

Secondly, and this is where I am not entirely unconvinced that Oscar's interview isn't somewhat of a smokescreen, we didn't lose to Derby because they had bigger names and more expensive players than us. Ignoring the score in the second leg which was very heavily influenced by GG's injury, the only way Derby were better than us was because they were very well organised and when they broke they did so with speed and efficiency and attacked in numbers. All the things we've been moaning all season that we don't do. Bringing in a list of Spanish targets with no English football experience was not likely to fix that problem. The difference was footballing style - is that down to the club dictating it or to OG and his footballing philosophy?

Of the players we brought in Ward and Stephens were excellent moves. Agustien is a bit of a mystery - you don't have his cv if you're so crap you can't even make the bench. Be interesting to see if anyone else gets more out of him so the jury is out on that one. Lita should have been given more opportunities and the lack of chances was bewildering, as was the refusal to use Kaz more and the reluctance to start Stephens at one stage. Andrews started well and then turned crap, possibly around the same time our Head Coach started to be unhappy by the look of it. And OG still picked him no matter what - maybe he was obliged to? He has good argument on Obika but that one looks like it came through the coaching teams contacts more than DofF? As for Monakana & Chicksen - we took the same chance on Ince and Solly March last year so its difficult to criticise whoever made those decisions until we see how it pans out.

Then we have Rodriguez - the article says he was the bottom of the list. Who's list? If OG identified him as being one of the Spanish targets then thank god we didn't get the others. If that was down to Burke et al then they need to answer some serious questions. Either way Hoskins would have been a much better bench filler once back and OG didn't use him.

Yes we need to strengthen in some areas and Grabban would have been a good purchase but not at any price .. Signing him on a long contract at what was presumably a significant salary would have left us with an expensive subs bench when CMS is back 100%. Criticising the club for not bringing in better strikers after giving interviews to the media stating that you will never play two up front and thereby limiting the appeal of that position and the wage we could justify under those circumstances is unfair and for me OG has to take a share of responsibility for the problems that created.

As for this head coach business .. He was head coach for the Barcelona youth team (left after 2 seasons), head coach at Maccabi (left after 1 season) and if the reports at the time are true it was HIS choice to be head coach here. To be saying he didn't want to be head coach with that set up now seems somewhat disingenuous.

I would have loved him to stay and see what he could do with a full squad and a season's experience of English football and I do think the way we work at the moment needs some review and tweaking (I still haven't forgiven them for Harley!) but I think that looking it as a whole the jury is very much out on OG's own level of culpability for me.

Spot on :smile:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I recall Bridcutt saying that Poyet and Tano practically kidnapped him when he was on the verge of signing for.............Torquay, and that impressed him enough to sign for us, he was made to feel wanted.

Perhaps OG didn't sell the Albion very well to Grabban? Grabban's agent is pro Albion in general, so he didn't decline due to wanting to entertain the cowsheds of Dean Court each week.

He seemed impressed enough to have his.medical. Thatvcould have been his agent who persuaded him

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think I must be missing something. Firstly our target this year was top 6 and we made top 6 despite a quite unbelievable number of injuries to key members of the squad. Therefore the only conclusion is that the target IS realistic and we CAN compete at this level under the current financial structure.

Secondly, and this is where I am not entirely unconvinced that Oscar's interview isn't somewhat of a smokescreen, we didn't lose to Derby because they had bigger names and more expensive players than us. Ignoring the score in the second leg which was very heavily influenced by GG's injury, the only way Derby were better than us was because they were very well organised and when they broke they did so with speed and efficiency and attacked in numbers. All the things we've been moaning all season that we don't do. Bringing in a list of Spanish targets with no English football experience was not likely to fix that problem. The difference was footballing style - is that down to the club dictating it or to OG and his footballing philosophy?

Of the players we brought in Ward and Stephens were excellent moves. Agustien is a bit of a mystery - you don't have his cv if you're so crap you can't even make the bench. Be interesting to see if anyone else gets more out of him so the jury is out on that one. Lita should have been given more opportunities and the lack of chances was bewildering, as was the refusal to use Kaz more and the reluctance to start Stephens at one stage. Andrews started well and then turned crap, possibly around the same time our Head Coach started to be unhappy by the look of it. And OG still picked him no matter what - maybe he was obliged to? He has good argument on Obika but that one looks like it came through the coaching teams contacts more than DofF? As for Monakana & Chicksen - we took the same chance on Ince and Solly March last year so its difficult to criticise whoever made those decisions until we see how it pans out.

Then we have Rodriguez - the article says he was the bottom of the list. Who's list? If OG identified him as being one of the Spanish targets then thank god we didn't get the others. If that was down to Burke et al then they need to answer some serious questions. Either way Hoskins would have been a much better bench filler once back and OG didn't use him.

Yes we need to strengthen in some areas and Grabban would have been a good purchase but not at any price .. Signing him on a long contract at what was presumably a significant salary would have left us with an expensive subs bench when CMS is back 100%. Criticising the club for not bringing in better strikers after giving interviews to the media stating that you will never play two up front and thereby limiting the appeal of that position and the wage we could justify under those circumstances is unfair and for me OG has to take a share of responsibility for the problems that created.

As for this head coach business .. He was head coach for the Barcelona youth team (left after 2 seasons), head coach at Maccabi (left after 1 season) and if the reports at the time are true it was HIS choice to be head coach here. To be saying he didn't want to be head coach with that set up now seems somewhat disingenuous.

I would have loved him to stay and see what he could do with a full squad and a season's experience of English football and I do think the way we work at the moment needs some review and tweaking (I still haven't forgiven them for Harley!) but I think that looking it as a whole the jury is very much out on OG's own level of culpability for me.

Good post, but may I add, I can't see Lingaard and him having to start every match being OGs decision, neither Lita, Obika or even Rodrigeuz. The problem with our club is that over the last three seasons we have had philosophies of only one striker from our manager, so who are we actually going to attract? Forget the talk of budgets and wages, we have made the top six twice in two years, its about the strategy on the pitch. One up top and tippy tappy isn't taking us all the way, we need a change of thinking and a strong manager to implement it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Good post, but may I add, I can't see Lingaard and him having to start every match being OGs decision, neither Lita, Obika or even Rodrigeuz. The problem with our club is that over the last three seasons we have had philosophies of only one striker from our manager, so who are we actually going to attract? Forget the talk of budgets and wages, we have made the top six twice in two years, its about the strategy on the pitch. One up top and tippy tappy isn't taking us all the way, we need a change of thinking and a strong manager to implement it.

The 'philosophy' of only one striker and the clear determination to never diverge from this will have been a massive factor in both the departure of Barnes and the difficulties in getting a decent second striker.

Even at our darkest hour (4-1 down on aggregate versus Derby) Oscar wasn't persuaded to give 4-4-2 a try. That speaks volumes.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Post of the day!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Someone pivotal was abroad and unobtainable due to a time zone/biological clock issue.

That's what I heard too.

That's the trouble, there have been various versions.

We have heard the "Someone pivotal was abroad and unobtainable" and "Garcia wasn't interested in meeting him and only wanted to see him when he turned up to training" and then there is "Jones and Garcia met with Grabban and he was excited about our plans" and then the "he only spoke to us to get a better deal at Bournemouth"

What makes all the above confusing to top it all, is that he did have his medical which generally only happens after everything is agreed. I can’t think of any signings that have failed at this point unless of a medical issue.

As a supporter I only want to know the truth or in this case what is not.

The next manager that comes here I don't want to hear about any 2 or 3 year bullshit contract giving a false sense of continuity and stability. All I want to hear is that it is a one year contract with the option to extend at the end the end of the season.

I feel totally misled over the last four months and any discussions about the Albion I have had with friends, family, and NSC users has been a complete waste of time, whilst the club have happily left us all to our ignorance for the final part of the season. And by not being told the truth about Oscar leaving we have been fed a lie.

I will always support the club but to trust what is packaged and presented to us is really pinch of salt time from now on.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just found the article Naylor wrote in January when Derby only won 1-0 at home, the writing was on the wall then if you read what he said then. Especially the failure to replace El-Abd, maybe not a key player but a key part of the dressing-room and a player who didn't really want to leave the club. You need to keep those players.
He wanted regular game time, and couldn't get it with us. And we got to 6th without him. While we all like him because he likes the Albion, we didn't need him.

My own view is that Upson is too predictable and Dunk if anything not predictable enough.
Upson has been brilliant, and Dunk is a work in progress.

I fear Albion will have to rebuild the defence now, if only to make sure you at least stay in the Championship. That MUST be the club's priority.
Eh? It's a little early to be talking of relegation when we finished top 6 two seasons running.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We have heard the "Someone pivotal was abroad and unobtainable" and "Garcia wasn't interested in meeting him and only wanted to see him when he turned up to training" and then there is "Jones and Garcia met with Grabban and he was excited about our plans" and then the "he only spoke to us to get a better deal at Bournemouth"

These are not all mutually exclusive. For example, 1, 2 & 4 could all be true. The problem is that different people have different sources at the club, not all of whom will necessarily have the complete picture. In fact, it's pretty much certain that fewer than a handful of people at the club will have the complete picture and I doubt that those people leak stories anyway. :shrug:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
These are not all mutually exclusive. For example, 1, 2 & 4 could all be true. The problem is that different people have different sources at the club, not all of whom will necessarily have the complete picture. In fact, it's pretty much certain that fewer than a handful of people at the club will have the complete picture and I doubt that those people leak stories anyway. :shrug:

Yep, I just feel disappointed that the last four months has been a facade and we should not have been kept in the dark about Oscars position. We could have still enjoyed the final end of the season knowing the truth. Now it just feels like it was all a big fat lie.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, I just feel disappointed that the last four months has been a facade and we should not have been kept in the dark about Oscars position. We could have still enjoyed the final end of the season knowing the truth. Now it just feels like it was all a big fat lie.

I know how you feel.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
That's the trouble, there have been various versions.

What makes all the above confusing to top it all, is that he did have his medical which generally only happens after everything is agreed. I can’t think of any signings that have failed at this point unless of a medical issue.

As a supporter I only want to know the truth or in this case what is not.

The next manager that comes here I don't want to hear about any 2 or 3 year bullshit contract giving a false sense of continuity and stability. All I want to hear is that it is a one year contract with the option to extend at the end the end of the season.

I feel totally misled over the last four months and any discussions about the Albion I have had with friends, family, and NSC users has been a complete waste of time, whilst the club have happily left us all to our ignorance for the final part of the season. And by not being told the truth about Oscar leaving we have been fed a lie.

I will always support the club but to trust what is packaged and presented to us is really pinch of salt time from now on.

I can only agree with you. No real information is given out, I remember Lingaard being sold to the fans a s a striker and then after a couple of games an attacking midfielder. There is much spin from the club, unnecessarily so and after the debacle of Poyet and this year one has to wonder. But, they still want the fans money and a full house. Brighton fans on the whole are decent thinking people and that we had a push for the playoffs helped keep the gates high despite some very poor football. I agree with your sentiments we need some honesty from the club, because most of us have already invested in next year.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Upson has been brilliant, and Dunk is a work in progress.

Here is the problem then..... can we or any team, afford to carry a 'work in progress' when our aspirations are the top end of this division?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Here is the problem then..... can we or any team, afford to carry a 'work in progress' when our aspirations are the top end of this division?

Can we afford not to ?

Dunk will be a top-class player. We would be mad not to give him what he needs to fulfill that promise with us. Both for our sakes and his.

My own view is that he looks ready now. In addition to his defensive strengths he is able to offer something Greer and Upson struggle with - the ability to carry the ball with confidence from defence and find a team mate with a forward pass.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Can we afford not to ?

Dunk will be a top-class player. We would be mad not to give him what he needs to fulfill that promise with us. Both for our sakes and his.

My own view is that he looks ready now. In addition to his defensive strengths he is able to offer something Greer and Upson struggle with - the ability to carry the ball with confidence from defence and find a team mate with a forward pass.

I was gnashing my teeth with anger the other night though..... Greer off, steady heads required, and Dunk starts flying into tackles(and Derby players) with seemingly gay abandon, that early yellow could have proved costly in a close game, actually, who knows that it didn't affect him for the rest of the game and contributed to our ultimately suspect defensive performance overall?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was gnashing my teeth with anger the other night though..... Greer off, steady heads required, and Dunk starts flying into tackles(and Derby players) with seemingly gay abandon, that early yellow could have proved costly in a close game, actually, who knows that it didn't affect him for the rest of the game and contributed to our ultimately suspect defensive performance overall?

We all see it differently. To me he was one player that came out of the game with any credit. There were some rash challenges initially - but he came through that and will be the better player for the experience. He carried the game to Derby and showed other players - who were clearly not up for the fight - that he was, and could execute his skills in a high pressure match.

Any defensive issues were not down to Dunk. That would be a stretch.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013

Agreed to some degree .. No I can't see OG being the driving force behind those decisions but there is a world of difference between objecting strenuously while decisions are forced on you and sitting back and saying nothing while disclaiming any responsibility. Rodriguez I disagree though - I haven't seen the whole article so am relying on the quotes here but he doesn't seem to be saying that he didn't want him and there is a distinct difference to his comments on Monakana where he's clear that he was not consulted. It reads to me like an explanation that Rodney may have been his suggestion but he was his last choice so he shouldn't be judged on it. The mention of the list tells me that either OG put his name on it or at the very least was consulted and approved it in advance as otherwise how would he have any clue that he was at the bottom?

He brought through the youngsters and they have been a revelation and yes he deserves credit for that but so do the team who identified and scouted that talent and brought them in. It seems unfair for him to take credit on the one side while laying the blame for any mistakes at the same doors without taking any responsibility for his role.

Post of the day!

Why thank you :banana:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here