Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funding NSC through 2013 and beyond: a discussion.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Could we not just make Brett do something to raise money? :wink:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I think a donation idea would be a runner. Or though yeah perhaps a donation allows you to have a signature banner type thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I wouldn't pay.I'd just move to another messageboard. Nothing on the internet should cost money if run correctly.

yeah, everyone know the internet is powered by moon dust and pixie tears, and they cost nothing.

as for a fee, not keen myself, i'm happy with the advertising + amazon model. might suggest a premium service or add on for those that do, something like email. im really surprised google give a monkeys about the language, eyeballs is eyeballs. maybe there are other advertising syndicates or affiliate schemes whatever they are called, who are less fussy.

How about...

£5 a year entitles you to a larger avatar and your username in a different colour. If you are banned for a whole year or permanently after paying your contribution, you can claim your £5 back.

£15 a year also entitles you to be a mod for a day. Obviously if you f*** around, your mod privileges are removed.
£5 a year? Would NSC really find 1,320 paying subscribers to cover the basic running costs?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
£5 a year? Would NSC really find 1,320 paying subscribers to cover the basic running costs?

It's not an 'either ...or' situation. As Bozza has mentioned, there are several income streams available that can be used in conjunction with each other. I was simply looking at what the donation option might entail.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
No point scoring intended here.

The BBS, which costs a similar amount a month, is fully funded by donations. Some people donate monthly via DD, some annually by the same means, the rest donate as and when they choose to.

The only benefits are similar to what has been suggested on this thread, larger avatar, ability to browse in invisible mode, larger PM folders and a few other bits and bobs. But that's not the point, your supporting an asset you derive enjoyment from. It's worth a few bob.

The size and vitality of this place at the moment suggests you'd have no problem adopting a similar model and it being self funding very quickly.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Mandatory charging for everyone will put people off, me included. Yes it would weed out the Palace trolls, but it would also lose some of the "main" posters.

Maybe have a "premium member" kind of thing with special features or something like that which is a certain fee.

Dec 29, 2011
Subscription is a non-starter. The biggest appeal of this board is the fact there are so many posters and it's so active. If it lost 50% of active users, the place would be a lot less appealing and as such I'd go on it less. In turn people will fade away due to inactivity and subscriptions will dry up.

The point [MENTION=16046]Titus[/MENTION] was trying to make is that if a site is big enough to warrant high server costs, it usually has enough users to monetize the site. Also I bet SC would love this play to be subscription only :thumbsup:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
How about setting up a donations system anyway whatever other plans you may have Bozza, you might be surprised at the level of donations and you could have a cheesy blue peter style totaliser somewhere prominent on the site so we could see just how much money was being raised, simple but effective. Also alongside the totaliser usernames of the biggest donors for some good old fashioned ego boosting for those good eggs that had donated decent sums?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't see there ever being a day when NSC is subscription only. However, I have given thought to an voluntary 'premium membership' which would give those who donate some enhanced features on the site. That would NOT include member only sub-forums and non-contributors would not get anything less than they do currently. Finally, contributors would not be entitled to any extra leniency with regard to moderation.
Mmm.

The other iron in the fire is a 'friends of NSC' type part of the site where local firms can advertise their services along with any NSC user special deals they may offer. I floated this idea a while back and there was quite a warm reception. The firms I spoke to were interested at the mooted £150 per year fee for access to this. It would only take 40 or so companies to participate to cover annual costs. If/when we do offer this, we will be more strict on those who, somewhat cheekily, look to market commercial ventures to NSC's very nicely focused group of members.
What's not to like?

The final thing is to make better use of affiliate schemes again. The Amazon scheme works very well for NSC and although other schemes do not pay as well, and people are now used to using cashback schemes like Quidco, if people were prepared to make the odd purchase via an NSC click-through then it could soon mount up to a reasonable sum.
Not sure if it's enough.

The one option you haven't included is getting Google ads back - is that because for the site to meet their requirements, it wouldn't be the site you want it to be? Cleaning the sight would seem like the obvious choice to those of us that don't know better.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How about we all get to 'buy' bad language which will appear uncensored. I would pay a pound a go to call people *****!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The other iron in the fire is a 'friends of NSC' type part of the site where local firms can advertise their services along with any NSC user special deals they may offer. I floated this idea a while back and there was quite a warm reception. The firms I spoke to were interested at the mooted £150 per year fee for access to this. It would only take 40 or so companies to participate to cover annual costs. If/when we do offer this, we will be more strict on those who, somewhat cheekily, look to market commercial ventures to NSC's very nicely focused group of members.

I think this is the way to go. With the amount of members/page impressions etc, local businesses should be falling over themselves to advertise on here. Particularly when you think of the number of threads of the "who knows a decent plumber/roofer/masseuse" type. You get to pick and choose as well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm opposed to the concept of subscriptions and personally wouldn't pay to use this site - or any other. I've mentioned this before (and others have raised it on this thread), but how about a 'donate' button? That way people could pay what they can afford, and personally I'd probably pay more than any subscription fee, which does sound a bit like I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face but it's just the subscription principle I don't like.

Also we could have the odd-fundraising event which could double up as a social get-together.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I suspect the JCL hoohaa will fade into insignificance next to the subscribers versus freeloaders debate.

1 Can we ban this *$^&& he opens 10 pointless threads a day and pays nothing.
2 Don't you tell me what I can and can't say on here, I pay more subs than you and I can say what I like you ^&^&**&% !

Still if that is what it takes to keep the site running bring it on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here