Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funding NSC through 2013 and beyond: a discussion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't see there ever being a day when NSC is subscription only. However, I have given thought to an voluntary 'premium membership' which would give those who donate some enhanced features on the site. That would NOT include member only sub-forums and non-contributors would not get anything less than they do currently. Finally, contributors would not be entitled to any extra leniency with regard to moderation.

The other iron in the fire is a 'friends of NSC' type part of the site where local firms can advertise their services along with any NSC user special deals they may offer. I floated this idea a while back and there was quite a warm reception. The firms I spoke to were interested at the mooted £150 per year fee for access to this. It would only take 40 or so companies to participate to cover annual costs. If/when we do offer this, we will be more strict on those who, somewhat cheekily, look to market commercial ventures to NSC's very nicely focused group of members.

The final thing is to make better use of affiliate schemes again. The Amazon scheme works very well for NSC and although other schemes do not pay as well, and people are now used to using cashback schemes like Quidco, if people were prepared to make the odd purchase via an NSC click-through then it could soon mount up to a reasonable sum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me neither, although I do have an issue with paying my hard earned money to be called a ***t. :lol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The only way to stop the tail wagging the dog, is a superscription forum.........But that way lies madness.
There is a Sailing forum, which has a Front Page which is where all the advertising is placed, along with a selection of news items and happenings of interest. These part versions lead into the forum part of the site where the is light moderating but no advertising.
Although an American site it caters to the mainly Americans, Australians UK and Ireland etc. Although it's been going about as long as little old NSC it has almost 4 mil posts and 5000+ active members, this is an international site in comparison.
It has a site owner, although larger and with less hair than Bozza, in essence it's very much as NSC used to be when it appeared to be cheaper to run, bit of swearing and partly naked ladies although not as much conflict between posters as they are not supporting a football team and have different views.
To sum up the Front Page is looked at by everybody and those that wish to delve a bit deeper, enter the Forum. It might be a model that would work for NSC.

Sailing Anarchy

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I can't see there ever being a day when NSC is subscription only. However, I have given thought to an voluntary 'premium membership' which would give those who donate some enhanced features on the site. That would NOT include member only sub-forums and non-contributors would not get anything less than they do currently. Finally, contributors would not be entitled to any extra leniency with regard to moderation.

This is a very sensible idea. Non-paying users will not suffer as a result, but those of us willing to pay a fee will see some added benefits.

100 people paying £1 a month, that's 20% of your whole server running cost for the whole year, without compromising anything.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Just a thought. But given the free publicity we give to Crystal Palace football club, would it be too much to ask for a slice of the Zaha fee?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I genuinely can't think of any 'additional features' that might be worth paying for.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I genuinely can't think of any 'additional features' that might be worth paying for.

I'm sure that would be the case for most. It would just be some bells and whistles by way of a reward for directly contributing to the upkeep of the site.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The final thing is to make better use of affiliate schemes again. The Amazon scheme works very well for NSC and although other schemes do not pay as well, and people are now used to using cashback schemes like Quidco, if people were prepared to make the odd purchase via an NSC click-through then it could soon mount up to a reasonable sum.

I've just moved jobs to an on-line travel agent called lowcostholidays, they run an affiliates scheme, with all the threads on here about holidays etc.. you would make the cash back in no time if you had a few click through's!

http://www.lowcostholidays.com/Affiliates.aspx

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I would pay 20p, think about it??

Even though this forum is not designed for me I would gladly pay towards it upkeep, after all I use it.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
£10 per year and your name gets entered into a draw to win a year subscription to Seagulls Player?

I do think local businesses advertising is a good idea, especially if they can do NSC-only deals, you'd just have to say "Bozza sent me" or something :p

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How about...

£5 a year entitles you to a larger avatar and your username in a different colour. If you are banned for a whole year or permanently after paying your contribution, you can claim your £5 back.

£15 a year also entitles you to be a mod for a day. Obviously if you f*** around, your mod privileges are removed.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
What about having Builders, gardeners, painters/decorators and restaurants etc.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
How about...

£5 a year entitles you to a larger avatar and your username in a different colour. If you are banned for a whole year or permanently after paying your contribution, you can claim your £5 back.

£15 a year also entitles you to be a mod for a day. Obviously if you f*** around, your mod privileges are removed.

No offence, but that's a terrible idea :lolol:

Who'd want to be a mod anyway? :jester:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The other iron in the fire is a 'friends of NSC' type part of the site where local firms can advertise their services along with any NSC user special deals they may offer. I floated this idea a while back and there was quite a warm reception. The firms I spoke to were interested at the mooted £150 per year fee for access to this. It would only take 40 or so companies to participate to cover annual costs. If/when we do offer this, we will be more strict on those who, somewhat cheekily, look to market commercial ventures to NSC's very nicely focused group of members.

This

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here