Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I get nothing is “fair” in this what ever happens there is a counter - with no ideal answer.

But I’m sort of shocked the idea of redoing years hasn’t been investigated.

It has.

Two school years have been affected by CV19, so putting 1.5m kids back in school, in classrooms that don’t exist, needing additional teachers that don’t exist.

Instead, head teachers and teaching unions called for an assessment of children’s grades based largely on their input, rather than public exams. That’s what’s happened, so far.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I certainly hope you are correct...

Strangely, I and most people who know me, would consider me a very positive person, to the point of being annoyingly so... I just find the governments frequent lack of action, or slowness to respond to things so so frustrating...

I never forget your trying and special circumstances.

Others (not referring to NSC) talk themselves into negativity, watching 8 months of wall to wall TV ‘news’.

Whilst possibly 10m’s, the quiet majority?, have embraced WFH, no commuting, longer sleeps, seeing their kids grow up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I and most people who know me, would consider me a very positive person, to the point of being annoyingly so.

I agree. You seem very positive.

I just find the governments frequent lack of action, or slowness to respond to things so so frustrating...

And far too generous and polite with your language as well :smile:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I get nothing is “fair” in this what ever happens there is a counter - with no ideal answer.

But I’m sort of shocked the idea of redoing years hasn’t been investigated.

do you mean kids staying at secondary school or 6th form for an extra year?

It would be chaos. You'd have a year of universities or 6th forms with no students which would result in closures or huge public spending too resolve shortfall and then have a back-up in nurseries or primary schools with no-one being able to move forward

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, took our first drive out today, since "lockdown" began - taking my wife to hospital for a PET scan.

When I made similar journeys during Lockdown 1.0, in March and April I barely saw another car on the 17 mile journey to Maidstone hospital, coupled with the odd white van and delivery lorries. Today, however in Lockdown 2.0 I couldn't see any difference from any "normal" weekday lunchtime traffic. If it wasn't for the motorway overhead signs saying "essential travel only" you wouldn't know there was a lockdown on in this part of Kent.

I'm not sure where all this essential travel was heading for at midday on a Thursday - not the hospital, as the car park was half empty, where it used to be rammed!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
do you mean kids staying at secondary school or 6th form for an extra year?

It would be chaos. You'd have a year of universities or 6th forms with no students which would result in closures or huge public spending too resolve shortfall and then have a back-up in nurseries or primary schools with no-one being able to move forward

:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, took our first drive out today, since "lockdown" began - taking my wife to hospital for a PET scan.

When I made similar journeys during Lockdown 1.0, in March and April I barely saw another car on the 17 mile journey to Maidstone hospital, coupled with the odd white van and delivery lorries. Today, however in Lockdown 2.0 I couldn't see any difference from any "normal" weekday lunchtime traffic. If it wasn't for the motorway overhead signs saying "essential travel only" you wouldn't know there was a lockdown on in this part of Kent.

I'm not sure where all this essential travel was heading for at midday on a Thursday - not the hospital, as the car park was half empty, where it used to be rammed!

I hope the results of the scan are good news.

This is my experience too.

The single change I've seen is there's no longer a 4pm to 6pm rush hour jams, whilst there just was a fortnight ago.

Just guessing, stemming from a combination of; emboldenedCV19 deniers/faux libertarians, big stores taking the p by still selling everything (which is against the law) and covered on R5 this morning, schools and uni's are open, many sectors such as construction and manufacturing are operating as normal.

This isn't a Lockdown. Instead it seems that only pubs, restaurants, gyms, airports, some small retailers and barbers etc. are the affected businesses.

Many outlets that were closed last time for example coffee shops, are open for takeaway drinks.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think there is more cars on the road at the moment because many people are avoiding public transport, a few people I know used to get the bus to work because of parking issues but both are now driving to work. Buses at the moment aside from school times are absolutely dead.

As an aside, where is the second wave in the south? Answers on a postcard please, yet we were thrown from tier 1 to full lockdown? :facepalm: D34FE6CE-F13F-4DA9-A5A4-479B7F6AAD1B.jpeg

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I hope the results of the scan are good news.

This is my experience too.

The single change I've seen is there's no longer a 4pm to 6pm rush hour jams, whilst there just was a fortnight ago.

Just guessing, stemming from a combination of; emboldenedCV19 deniers/faux libertarians, big stores taking the p by still selling everything (which is against the law) and covered on R5 this morning, schools and uni's are open, many sectors such as construction and manufacturing are operating as normal.

This isn't a Lockdown. Instead it seems that only pubs, restaurants, gyms, airports, some small retailers and barbers etc. are the affected businesses.

Many outlets that were closed last time for example coffee shops, are open for takeaway drinks.

As a service engineer I am working as normal, driving all over the country and have been since April / may...are the machines I service and fix essential ? well some are some are just routine annual services, but surly essential for the companies I go to, there would be many many like me, if manufacturing is working the machines have to be serviced.

We cant all have the pleasure to work from home in a nice warm safe atmosphere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a service engineer I am working as normal, driving all over the country and have been since April / may...are the machines I service and fix essential ? well some are some are just routine annual services, but surly essential for the companies I go to, there would be many many like me, if manufacturing is working the machines have to be serviced.

We cant all have the pleasure to work from home in a nice warm safe atmosphere.

All about personal views, I want the economy working.

Whilst unnecessary stuff such as pubs and restaurants closing for 4 weeks shirley isn't too much of hardship, if it breaks the pattern of rising R value and CV19 deaths.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Whilst unnecessary stuff such as pubs and restaurants closing for 4 weeks shirley isn't too much of hardship, if it breaks the pattern of rising R value and CV19 deaths.

Really ! It’s a hardship for all the people working in those industries let alone all the supply lines. It’s a pretty glum life if all we can do is work and watch TV and never see family and friends. But again it’s a personal view.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really ! It’s a hardship for all the people working in those industries let alone all the supply lines. It’s a pretty glum life if all we can do is work and watch TV and never see family and friends. But again it’s a personal view.

It's no life as at to die from CV19.

Lockdown and restrictions across Europe have saved the lives of countless folk who deserve to live from CV19.

Who argues that business don't need support?

Punters can wait 4 weeks from boozing in a pub.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's no life as at to die from CV19.

Lockdown and restrictions across Europe have saved the lives of countless folk who deserve to live from CV19.

Who argues that business don't need support?

Punters can wait 4 weeks from boozing in a pub.

Wasnt saying it was, but the flippant way you dismissed a whole section of the economy as unnecessary was wrong, from the barmaid to the chef to the brewer and all the way down that chain to the farmer who produces that food. These are jobs and peoples lively hoods not just for a boozing in the pub.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think there is more cars on the road at the moment because many people are avoiding public transport, a few people I know used to get the bus to work because of parking issues but both are now driving to work. Buses at the moment aside from school times are absolutely dead.

As an aside, where is the second wave in the south? Answers on a postcard please, yet we were thrown from tier 1 to full lockdown? :facepalm: View attachment 130386

Buses have also been turning people away once they get to 40 percent full (in Crawley anyway) so it’s not worth the risk if can drive/bike/walk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wasnt saying it was, but the flippant way you dismissed a whole section of the economy as unnecessary was wrong, from the barmaid to the chef to the brewer and all the way down that chain to the farmer who produces that food. These are jobs and peoples lively hoods not just for a boozing in the pub.

It's you that's trying to say that I don't care about hospitality industry jobs and livelihoods. I have friends in the industry including a freehold pub owner, who imho they should be supported to get through this.

Let's not conflate two issues here.

Punters will survive 4 weeks of not boozing in a pub setting. We're all missing out on so much.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's you that's trying to say that I don't care about hospitality industry jobs and livelihoods. I have friends in the industry including a freehold pub owner, who imho they should be supported to get through this.

Let's not conflate two issues here.

Punters will survive 4 weeks of not boozing in a pub setting. We're all missing out on so much.

Perhaps we misunderstand each other, you did say unnecessary "Whilst unnecessary stuff such as pubs and restaurants closing for 4 weeks shirley isn't too much of hardship" and it may not be necessary for hospitality to stay open..but is it necessary that a light bulb factory stays open ? I mean it could shut for 4 weeks without much problem.

I think all the industries are important including hospitality.

And for me all I want is to go to a gig and have a holiday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps we misunderstand each other, you did say unnecessary "Whilst unnecessary stuff such as pubs and restaurants closing for 4 weeks shirley isn't too much of hardship" and it may not be necessary for hospitality to stay open..but is it necessary that a light bulb factory stays open ? I mean it could shut for 4 weeks without much problem.

I think all the industries are important including hospitality.

And for me all I want is to go to a gig and have a holiday.

Agreed.

Plus the unfairness of M&S and Tesco's who have slyly this time opened everything up, whilst independent toy shops must close.

Where should lines be drawn? I'm not anti pub or restaurant, we love eating out, but they are obvious indoor spaces where masks aren't worn, boozers lose inhibitions and spatial awareness when tanked up.

I miss holidays, ice skating at the Royal Pavilion (cancelled this season) and I see less of my parents who're in their 80's.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Agreed.

Plus the unfairness of M&S and Tesco's who have slyly this time opened everything up, whilst independent toy shops must close.

Where should lines be drawn? I'm not anti pub or restaurant, we love eating out, but they are obvious indoor spaces where masks aren't worn, boozers lose inhibitions and spatial awareness when tanked up.

I miss holidays, ice skating at the Royal Pavilion (cancelled this season) and I see less of my parents who're in their 80's.

Thats great we agree then....What about our choice of football teams ??? ( joking, lets leave this thread about covid ) :lolol:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here