Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not personally being impacted by lockdown much at all (other not having seen daughter for months) but struggling to see how this version is going to help much with kids and students potentially carrying the virus everywhere. All we seem to be doing is cutting out pub and restaurant-spreading and killing independent businesses - and the few places we went to pre-lockdown were all operating what seemed like very strong protocols anyway.

I went to the local Tesco a couple of days ago for the first time in months. The number of people ignoring distancing was enormous, particularly the more elderly - leaning across to grab stuff, blocking aisles whilst they have a chat etc. Quite a few without masks too - saw one guy put one on to go through the main doors (where someone was checking) then immediately take it off.

Can’t imagine what the garden centres are like - they’re rammed with meandering silver-tops getting in the way at the best of times.

Interesting post, thanks.

I recall when quite a while back, when I posted about flagrant ignorers of social distancing rules here, you replied all was good in Burgess Hill in your experience.

In supermarkets here, I now see a sizeable minority of people in healthy age groups, giving two fingers to the new laws.

With a vaccine seemingly in sight, I guess this is as good as it gets.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting post, thanks.

I recall when quite a while back, when I posted about flagrant ignorers of social distancing rules here, you replied all was good in Burgess Hill in your experience.

In supermarkets here, I now see a sizeable minority of people in healthy age groups, giving two fingers to the new laws.

With a vaccine seemingly in sight, I guess this is as good as it gets.

Yep - having kept out of the supermarket for so long, was quite surprised how blase people seem to have become. When I stopped to disinfect the trolley at least 3 people went past the 'station' without doing theirs too. Interesting, though, that when I'm out running virtually everyone else I see when running/walking are observing distancing - to the point of 'exaggerated distance' in most cases. I still get pissed off by couples walking side-by-side on pavements that make no effort to create a bit of space though.............

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yep - having kept out of the supermarket for so long, was quite surprised how blase people seem to have become. When I stopped to disinfect the trolley at least 3 people went past the 'station' without doing theirs too. Interesting, though, that when I'm out running virtually everyone else I see when running/walking are observing distancing - to the point of 'exaggerated distance' in most cases. I still get pissed off by couples walking side-by-side on pavements that make no effort to create a bit of space though.............

We're taking it seriously in Truro. Queued at Waitrose the other day, behind a couple wearing full haz-mat suits - white overalls, gloves, face-masks, goggles. Although, the cling-film on their heads maybe hinted at it being a joke.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Not personally being impacted by lockdown much at all (other not having seen daughter for months) but struggling to see how this version is going to help much with kids and students potentially carrying the virus everywhere. All we seem to be doing is cutting out pub and restaurant-spreading and killing independent businesses - and the few places we went to pre-lockdown were all operating what seemed like very strong protocols anyway.

I went to the local Tesco a couple of days ago for the first time in months. The number of people ignoring distancing was enormous, particularly the more elderly - leaning across to grab stuff, blocking aisles whilst they have a chat etc. Quite a few without masks too - saw one guy put one on to go through the main doors (where someone was checking) then immediately take it off.

Can’t imagine what the garden centres are like - they’re rammed with meandering silver-tops getting in the way at the best of times.
I really REALLY struggle to understand why people feel the need to not wear a mask? It's so bloody simple, especially after summer months and into winter when it's really not much of s hindrance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Universities are being asked to organise 'staggered return home' for students. I don't even know what that means. There will certainly be more administratve work. In my teaching division our admin staff are great. In dentistry (I do a bit of teaching for them) it is chaotic. They have already 'lost' some of the live redorded tutorials....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I understand the debate and general consensus that school should continue - for the sake of the kids, but what is going to happen to those that keep missing time off school?

My grandson has just had 2 weeks off school for the October half term, closely followed by 14 days of isolation as his Dad and sister tested positive for Covid. Now today his Mum has had an email to say he has to have another 2 weeks off, as his year group have been bubbled, despite the fact he hasn't been at school - apparently it's his year teacher, so there is no one to "teach" him - so a total of 6 consecutive weeks off school. Woe betide you if you want to take your kids out of school for a few day though!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So we come out of full lockdown then the very next day give the green card to students to superspread back to re-infect their hometown bjgtime just in time for xmas. Jeez! Just how dumbfurked can you get? Sake! :facepalm:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Boris saying the vaccines aren’t the golden bullet to beat the virus, then what is then? His and his bozos rhetoric for the start has been to kick the problem down the road with restrictions until there is a vaccine and he now tells us the vaccine ISN'T the ‘golden bullet’ ???

I’ve lost all hope in these absolute clowns.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Boris saying the vaccines aren’t the golden bullet to beat the virus, then what is then? His and his bozos rhetoric for the start has been to kick the problem down the road with restrictions until there is a vaccine and he now tells us the vaccine ISN'T the ‘golden bullet’ ???

I did find that an odd statement to make, have they got more info on the vaccine?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

So I assume Hancock will soon be changing his "the only way we will be rid of this is with a working vaccine" line then

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I did find that an odd statement to make, have they got more info on the vaccine?
Possibly so, there seems to be massive mixed messages we have yesterday Boris saying it’s a massive step forward and Hancock saying millions could be vaccinated in December, then today we have Boris sounding fairly downbeat about prospects. Particularly strange for a man who has previously seemed so sure of a vaccine being the way out.

So I assume Hancock will soon be changing his "the only way we will be rid of this is with a working vaccine" line then

I just hope it’s not politics coming into the ‘vaccine race’ which is something I’ve been worried about, will be interesting to see how they react to the oxford vaccine results which are due to be released soon I believe.

It just feels like at the moment nobody wants to give anyone any hope of normality returning anytime soon.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Surely they are just managing expectations here? It could take many months for the virus to go away. Whilst this vaccine is the best news all year there are still hundreds of people dying every day and the only way to keep a lid on that, until everyone has received the vaccine, is to make sure the population don't suddenly go disco crazy at Christmas and create a shitshow in January.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I understand the debate and general consensus that school should continue - for the sake of the kids, but what is going to happen to those that keep missing time off school?

My grandson has just had 2 weeks off school for the October half term, closely followed by 14 days of isolation as his Dad and sister tested positive for Covid. Now today his Mum has had an email to say he has to have another 2 weeks off, as his year group have been bubbled, despite the fact he hasn't been at school - apparently it's his year teacher, so there is no one to "teach" him - so a total of 6 consecutive weeks off school. Woe betide you if you want to take your kids out of school for a few day though![/QUOTE]

Pre Covid, teachers explained to me that kids missing school for unauthorised holidays, are missing invaluable specific chunks of professionally taught syllabi, multiplied by the number of days missing. A week’s holiday equates to 25 or 30 modules taught by experts, that the kid can never get back. A fortnight, up to 60.

With the best intentions in the world, how many parents can or are willing to teach that, to the level of a teacher on return from holiday, multiplied by all the modules.

They also mention the bedlam when everyone used to be able to do as pleased. Disrupted continuity with a couple of kids missing one week, a couple of other the next fortnight.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

My grandson has just had 2 weeks off school for the October half term, closely followed by 14 days of isolation as his Dad and sister tested positive for Covid. Now today his Mum has had an email to say he has to have another 2 weeks off, as his year group have been bubbled, despite the fact he hasn't been at school - apparently it's his year teacher, so there is no one to "teach" him - so a total of 6 consecutive weeks off school. Woe betide you if you want to take your kids out of school for a few day though!

Pre Covid, teachers explained to me that kids missing school for unauthorised holidays, are missing invaluable specific chunks of professionally taught syllabi, multiplied by the number of days missing. A week’s holiday equates to 25 or 30 modules taught by experts, that the kid can never get back. A fortnight, up to 60.

With the best intentions in the world, how many parents can or are willing to teach that, to the level of a teacher on return from holiday, multiplied by all the modules.

They also mention the bedlam when everyone used to be able to do as pleased. Disrupted continuity with a couple of kids missing one week, a couple of other the next fortnight.

And children now are missing multiples of that, yet the government still dither with regards next year's GCSE and A levels. What good is a 3 week delay, when moths have been missed?

Follow Wales example and cancel early, or just drag your heels to the 11th hour and look stupid, like last year. Wonder which way the government will go...?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And children now are missing multiples of that, yet the government still dither with regards next year's GCSE and A levels. What good is a 3 week delay, when moths have been missed?

Follow Wales example and cancel early, or just drag your heels to the 11th hour and look stupid, like last year. Wonder which way the government will go...?

Need to break this argument down.

Pre covid - our educators abhor families taking their kids out of school for holidays.

Covid - we all know that next year’s exams won’t go ahead. My 15 year old has been told by her school of that likelihood. Wales have only just announced it, Scotland and England haven’t yet. It’s easy in this moaning nation to put everything the Scots and Wales do on some mythical pedestal. As pointed by (100% non-Tory) radio presenters this week when English callers tried to do that, Wales and Scotland for all their autonomy have and still do suffer horrendous CV19 metrics in regions.

Have you also got kids doing GCSE’s or A’levels next summer?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I get nothing is “fair” in this what ever happens there is a counter - with no ideal answer.

But I’m sort of shocked the idea of redoing years hasn’t been investigated.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Need to break this argument down.

Pre covid - our educators abhor families taking their kids out of school for holidays.

Covid - we all know that next year’s exams won’t go ahead. My 15 year old has been told by her school of that likelihood. Wales have only just announced it, Scotland and England haven’t yet. It’s easy in this moaning nation to put everything the Scots and Wales do on some mythical pedestal. As pointed by (100% non-Tory) radio presenters this week when English callers tried to do that, Wales and Scotland for all their autonomy have and still do suffer horrendous CV19 metrics in regions.

Have you also got kids doing GCSE’s or A’levels next summer?

No I don't, but it doesn't make the slowness to react by the government any the less, just because it doesn't directly affect me or my children.

Education is just another one of those areas where the government have been, and probably will be, embarrassed by their lack of action until their hands are forced.

It was the same with pubs in the first lockdown and football, etc., slowness to react to what is in front of them and most can see ..

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No I don't, but it doesn't make the slow was to react by the government and the less, just because it doesn't directly affect me or my children.

Education is just another one if those areas where the government have been, and probably will be, embarrassed by their lack of action until their hands are forced.

It was the same with pubs in the first lockdown and football, etc., slowness to react to what is in front of them and most can see ..

It wasn't a rhetorical question, I genuinely wondered if you have kids in years 11 or 13.

Yep, plenty of blunders, I agree with you. From care homes, the March lockdown came a week too late and the government have been too laissez faire on the subculture who’ve ignored the rules from day one.

But I don’t follow the relentless miserable mood music of how everything’s awful in England, far better in Scotland, Wales, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium and The Netherlands. For 2 reasons; (1) It’s completely untrue and (2) to follow that narrative from what I’ve witnessed leads to people being extremely miserable, even where no one has passed away from CV19 in their family. What good does it do ... a joyless existence when we have one precious lifetime?

This is an awful 15 months period for mankind, but in the big picture we will soon be back to near normal.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It wasn't a rhetorical question, I genuinely wondered if you have kids in years 11 or 13.

Yep, plenty of blunders, I agree with you. From care homes, the March lockdown came a week too late and the government have been too laissez faire on the subculture who’ve ignored the rules from day one.

But I don’t follow the relentless miserable mood music of how everything’s awful in England, far better in Scotland, Wales, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium and The Netherlands. For 2 reasons; (1) It’s completely untrue and (2) to follow that narrative from what I’ve witnessed leads to people being extremely miserable, even where no one has passed away from CV19 in their family. What good does it do ... a joyless existence when we have one precious lifetime?

This is an awful 15 months period for mankind, but in the big picture we will soon be back to near normal.

I certainly hope you are correct...

Strangely, I and most people who know me, would consider me a very positive person, to the point of being annoyingly so... I just find the governments frequent lack of action, or slowness to respond to things so so frustrating...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here