Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

Jimmy Grimble

From what I’ve seen it’s a lockdown of pubs, restaurants and small businesses. Everything else is pretty much carry on as normal.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
It doesn't have the feeling of total silence and empty roads we had last time.

We thought we might get some household jobs done. but every tradesman is booked up till March next year. They are the ones likely to be super spreaders, going from household to household.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My neighbour is now WFH instead of the office. But his children are still at nursery 10 miles away (next to his office). So, now, instead of going in the morning, dropping them off - and returning with them late afternoon - he goes in to drop them off, comes home to work, then drives in again in the afternoon. So - more journeys. Doesn't feel much quieter here - nothing like last time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm finding this whole thing really puzzling:

I'm a single person, no kids, run a pub and live on my own. So I'm well and truly lockdowned. That's fine by me, clearly something needs to be done to curtail infection levels.

But:

Most people I know are certainly not in a state of lockdown- okay they might not be mixing households internally, but apart from that their lives go on pretty much as they have been since lockdown number 1- still doing the school run, still going to work, still going to the supermarket after picking up the kids from school.
I wonder how many people there are like me vs people who are still leaving their house a great deal.

Further, the absolute STATE of my local retail park-

Pets at Home open, B & M open, B & Q open, The Range open, Boots open, Hobbycraft open. So what's happening? Well it's bloody rammed isn't it. There's a huge amount of people in the UK who CANNOT function without shopping so what on earth did the Government think would happen if they provided so many loopholes for so many unnecessary businesses?

We know that up to 80% of people with covid are asymptomatic or show very mild symptoms, we know our tracing system is failing, so how on earth can we have implemented such a half arsed lockdown?

And why are garden centres 'essential' - especially at this time of the year?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
And why are garden centres 'essential' - especially at this time of the year?

I'm begining to get dangerously close to a weird old man meddling in overs lives, but i've kept an eye on the shops. Still rammed, and most trolleys? Full of Christmas decorations and presents. It's all very strange.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No "lockdown" really round here. Very few shops shut, because most aren't on the closed list.

Very few people wearing masks (outside of the shops) and very busy otherwise.

Clapham High Street was very busy today, even saw a group drinking pints on the pavement at lunch time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You have to laugh at the incompetence of this government.

This is lockdown in name only. The roads are still jammed, everywhere that is open is busy, people simply don’t give a shit anymore.

All this is achieving is screwing over small, local businesses. I feel so sorry for the independent shops of Shoreham and Southwick that are shut while the queue snakes round the Tesco car park and people are packed into the store.

Ramming people closer together Based on dodgy data

Good work

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You have to laugh at the incompetence of this government.

This is lockdown in name only. The roads are still jammed, everywhere that is open is busy, people simply don’t give a shit anymore.

All this is achieving is screwing over small, local businesses. I feel so sorry for the independent shops of Shoreham and Southwick that are shut while the queue snakes round the Tesco car park and people are packed into the store.

Totally 100% agree with this. It just ain’t like the first lockdown and is probably achieving nothing!

Another half hearted, half baked, too late measure from this incompetent shower!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
No "lockdown" really round here. Very few shops shut, because most aren't on the closed list.

Very few people wearing masks (outside of the shops) and very busy otherwise.

Clapham High Street was very busy today, even saw a group drinking pints on the pavement at lunch time.

Most people I see do not wear a mask outside.

Is there any real need?

I never bother.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is there any real need?

I never bother.

Wearing masks outside was only ever done by a tiny minority. Even now independent experts such as Dr Chris Smith say it’s unnecessary.

I just wish that it’s 100% mandatory within shops, unless you have a signed cert to prove a medical exemption and enforced! So many young and middle aged piss takers in the shops in recent weeks.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Is there any real need?

I never bother.

Wearing masks outside was only ever done by a tiny minority. Even now independent experts such as Dr Chris Smith say it’s unnecessary.

I just wish that it’s 100% mandatory within shops, unless you have a signed cert to prove a medical exemption and enforced! So many young and middle aged piss takers in the shops in recent weeks.

I was just making an observation of the difference from last time. I'm not making a point either way about whether masks are effective.

You wouldn't know there was a lock down and people aren't really bothering to socially distance even in shops.

As the last lock down eased off (and masks became available) a lot of people were wearing them "outside", not in the parks obviously but out shopping so they wouldn't have to keep taking it on and off.

I expected the same this time, but unless you knew it looks very pre-covid to me.

Jimmy Grimble

I agree.

Social distancing has gradually vanished.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was just making an observation of the difference from last time. I'm not making a point either way about whether masks are effective.

You wouldn't know there was a lock down and people aren't really bothering to socially distance even in shops.

As the last lock down eased off (and masks became available) a lot of people were wearing them "outside", not in the parks obviously but out shopping so they wouldn't have to keep taking it on and off.

I expected the same this time, but unless you knew it looks very pre-covid to me.

Wearing masks outside must’ve been a civilised central London thing earlier this year.

I rarely saw that down here on Brighton.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Operation blame shifting for the second lockdown under way

Johnson (the man in charge) claiming he was bounced into it.

The Clown show Rolls on

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm finding this whole thing really puzzling:

I'm a single person, no kids, run a pub and live on my own. So I'm well and truly lockdowned. That's fine by me, clearly something needs to be done to curtail infection levels.

But:

Most people I know are certainly not in a state of lockdown- okay they might not be mixing households internally, but apart from that their lives go on pretty much as they have been since lockdown number 1- still doing the school run, still going to work, still going to the supermarket after picking up the kids from school.
I wonder how many people there are like me vs people who are still leaving their house a great deal.

Further, the absolute STATE of my local retail park-

Pets at Home open, B & M open, B & Q open, The Range open, Boots open, Hobbycraft open. So what's happening? Well it's bloody rammed isn't it. There's a huge amount of people in the UK who CANNOT function without shopping so what on earth did the Government think would happen if they provided so many loopholes for so many unnecessary businesses?

We know that up to 80% of people with covid are asymptomatic or show very mild symptoms, we know our tracing system is failing, so how on earth can we have implemented such a half arsed lockdown?

Is there a limit on the number of people allowed inside a shop at anyone time? Over here shops are allowed to open but with limits on numbers; 1 person per 50 square metres I think.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Operation blame shifting for the second lockdown under way

Johnson (the man in charge) claiming he was bounced into it.

The Clown show Rolls on

This story appears to originate from The Daily Mail, who have a clear agenda regards lockdown and Covid in general.

Boris may well not have been happy with the data used, as I believe nor would Vallance or Whitty - however, the other models used that day showed large numbers of deaths, that clearly weren't as dramatic as the 4000 a day - but clearly not acceptable.

death graph.png

The graph above, clearly shows the death tally clearly falling between the LSHTM and Warwick models, both of which predicted 1500 daily deaths, either by the beginning of December or by mid December. I am sure Boris and any right thinking person would not have found these figures acceptable or sustainable for the currently or in particular the NHS.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is there a limit on the number of people allowed inside a shop at anyone time? Over here shops are allowed to open but with limits on numbers; 1 person per 50 square metres I think.
No idea. Just like everything else we get told to do/not do.

Before they were closed again I spent an hour talking to the manager and the owner of a local micro bar, discussing the track and trace rules and how they had to apply them correctly in different situations.

Looked everything up online and used information they'd had from meetings with "Pub Watch" etc where the council had advised.

The conclusion that the three of us came to was that it was all a complete load of horseshit and that nobody had a clue about what the actual "rules" where when applied to real life scenarios. So it was, do what you think is right and hope for the best.

That's why every pub/bar/cafe/restaurant was interpreting the rules differently. Clear as mud.

It's also why so many people are just saying "**** it!" because the guidance/rules/laws are so confusing, even if intelligent people are doing their best trying to unravel them and follow them correctly.

What chance the average working class Tory voter/Sun reader? Zero.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No idea. Just like everything else we get told to do/not do.

Before they were closed again I spent an hour talking to the manager and the owner of a local micro bar, discussing the track and trace rules and how they had to apply them correctly in different situations.

Looked everything up online and used information they'd had from meetings with "Pub Watch" etc where the council had advised.

The conclusion that the three of us came to was that it was all a complete load of horseshit and that nobody had a clue about what the actual "rules" where when applied to real life scenarios. So it was, do what you think is right and hope for the best.

That's why every pub/bar/cafe/restaurant was interpreting the rules differently. Clear as mud.

It's also why so many people are just saying "**** it!" because the guidance/rules/laws are so confusing, even if intelligent people are doing their best trying to unravel them and follow them correctly.

What chance the average working class Tory voter/Sun reader? Zero.

I know when I was in the U.K. in June it was baffling. I had to deal with the Home Office and Foreign Office and got two completely opposite answers to a question I needed answering. And on another issue the government website had a series of quite bizarre case studies involving a hypothetical BBQ, back gardens and who could use the shitter.

Obviously nothing has changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here