Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Frozen stuff that is as good (or better?) than fresh

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I once heard an advocate of frozen food saying the best produce are frozen immediately as they cannot be frozen if not in prime condition. Interestingly on an EHO visit wife was told it is perfectly ok to refreeze something that had thawed out. It may lose some flavour but is not harmful. We had a deep freeze go wrong so she just cooked up moest of it then froze it for later use, no problems.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Chopped spinach frozen is great. It's totally different to spinach leaves fresh but still fab. Also good to sneak into kids food as part of their 5 a day.

Also ratatouille and peperonata are both great frozen. Tried a new ratatouille recipe last week with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar in and was top drawer

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was delighted to spy frozen avocados in Tesco so bought some. They are peeled and stoned and inside the £2.50 bag are avocado halves, ready to eat.

My delight has been tempered by what happens when they defrost - they are quite mushy - losing some of the firmness of a (not too ripe) fresh fruit. They also seem to be lacking in flavour a bit, I thought.

The frozen avocado did, however, pass my son's sushi test - he devoured his maki in the usual speedy way.

I think the only other frozen fruit or vegetable we ever have is petit pois.

What other frozen veg/fruit is good and not much of a compromise on fresh?

Froxen peas are actually better than fresh when cooked, mad but true. Anythinf else? Nah.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had an accidentally warmed through bottle of drinkable yoghurt earlier, a degree or 3 above TEPID, and I expected to be sickened, but wasn't. Which is irrelevant news.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Frozen fruit is amazing for a lot of stuff. For things like smoothies or Nutribullet is the only way - much more economic than fresh. Also there was a program that explored this and the frozen stuff is done within about 2 hours of picking, so you are getting a better product. But like you say, if you want to eat it 'fresh' then it can be a bit slushy.

The fact they have avocado is amazing!! Need to find this

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Frozen fruit is great if you whizz it up for a nice cold smoothie or milkshake.

Problem with frozen goods is that they are often not of great quality to begin with, especially meat and fish.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I scoffed at the idea of frozen mashed potato until I tried it and it was actually REALLY nice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Froxen peas are actually better than fresh when cooked, mad but true. Anythinf else? Nah.

Mostly this.

Not much use for the veggie Bozza but when we take the kids to Spring Barn Farm we often get a frozen jointed rabbit. Great in stews. Probably not what you were thinking of though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lemon sole.
Peas I grow are better fresh than frozen but any surplus goes in the freezer.
Allotment strawberries freeze well. Had some this morning.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Frozen peas, always, I think (unless I'm lied to) that they contain more goodness too?
Never seen frozen avacado, I eat a lot of them so will keep an eye out at the supermarche next time.
Frozen berries for smoothies or to put on my porridge and then blast in the microwave seem to taste better to me than fresh berries.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peas.
Cauliflower.

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Fish that is frozen the same day that it's caught is excellent (after it's been defrosted and cooked).

I'm trying some Norwegian cod from tesco tonight and will let you know how it goes.

Roast loin with white wine, lemon, garlic and parsley alongside roast New potatoes with chorizo, onion.and peppers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here