Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Frozen stuff that is as good (or better?) than fresh

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
From the minute peas and sweetcorn are picked the sugars start to turn to starch. Therefore commercial producers have, I believe, got the system of field to freezer down to about 20 minutes or something stupid. This ensures that frozen shop bought peas and sweetcorn will always be better than 'fresh' shop bought peas or sweetcorn.

However, peas and sweetcorn grown yourself just can't be beat eaten raw as you pick them, absolutely delicious! Those that do make the pot should be cooked as quickly as possible, by which I mean ideally within the hour of picking. Frozen will never beat your own freshly grown eaten as above.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Frozen fish is best, unless you're buying it off the beach. The stuff on the fish counter will have been frozen on the boat anyway, so it's just lying there defrosting.

Another vote for peas and berries but NOT brussels sprouts - they're minging frozen. Makes me realise why some people don't like them

Also buy fresh kale and chuck it in the freezer, then throw a handful in your smoothies, it's sweet and good for you.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Frozen cider. Chuck the slush away and drink the applejack off the top.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sligfhtly OT but when I was younger, about 1961 I worked for a time at John Oxley Fish Shop at the top of Wallace Ave. Worthing and some thing has always stuck in myt mind when going into supermarkets. The owner Harry Green who owned about 20 shops in South England told mei at the job interview the only time you could smell a fish shop ssor counter is if they havent been thoroughly cleeaned down after the last days business. I think of this in Sainsburys and especially by the fish shop at the corner of Sydney Rd Haywards Heath. Hence I tend to buy frozen to cook at home like smoked haddock etc.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Hard fruit freezes and unfreezes best. Soft fruit bit slushy. I've found that defrosting with the microwave works best, as at least looking like the fruit it is meant to. Probably something to do with defrosting from the inside out, instead of the outside in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here