Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] From tactical machine to unintelligent freedom

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But last season if we were chasing a game, people were moaning that we'd have Buckley and Kaz standing on the wings and Ulloa all on his own in the middle. Plus we'd have spent 15 minutes of the second 45 knocking the ball about in our own half. At least we build some sustained pressure. Yes, it's a shame Gus went but he's gone, so people need to get over it. If what OG is attempting comes off, we'll be a better, more exciting team for it.
That's a very good point re sustained pressure.
We weren't knocking at the door we were pounding it.
Sure in that time we only had 4 chances (?), and only 2 required a save but at least we turned the screw and asked some questions.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Think OG should try starting with Lua Lua, thought Maksimenko was a bit lost esp 2nd half but Ince was good.

I also wish OG would show a bit of encouragement and passion whilst Poyet was sometimes over the top OG seems too laid back.

Defence looks woeful at times and we missed Bridcutt even if he is off form.

And please OG don't wait till the 70th minute to make changes especially if its Barnes, you need to act quicker if he hasn't scored by 45 mins

Spanish Dave was weak today too and Agustien was good and then awful at times

Like I have said in other threads Oscar needs time. He is a VERY good coach so he should be afforded it. However I am worried just a little concerned today about a few things...

It seems the BASICS are not being done right. This is usually a sign of a confused team or one that lacks confidence, I would say its a bit of both.

1. WHY on earth was Maksimenko allowed to command an entire side of the pitch? It seem's that for a good few seasons now the transition, most notably from left back to midfield is piss poor as there is simply nobody occupying the space.

2. ( Linked to point one) There was very little width today. We have the largest pitch in the League. It doesn't take much to realise that two wingers on this pitch instead of one or today pretty much ZERO would tear teams like Derby to bits. EVERY bloody team comes here to pack the midfield, play narrow and stop us passing. If we have no width this season what the devil will we do?

3. Gordon Greer... Controversial yes but I simply believe our captain is utter manure. He has benefited under Gus from playing a VERY deep line and being comfortable on the ball. Looking at it, a pro active defender who attacks the ball will be needed under Garcia as we will not have as much possession at the back anymore. As far as I can see he rarely wins the ball in the air, can't tackle and makes a hash of most clearances plus he is very slow.

4. Creation of chances. We seemed to have digressed to floating balls into the box from 30 yards out as there is ( linked to point 2) no width. We may have chances but Ulloa is doing bloody wonders to get onto any of them as generally the balls in are piss poor. We seriously need to address this.

I would see a team like this working well:

Kuscak
Calderon El-Abd Upson ( KNEW LEFT BACK FFS)

Bridcutt

Lopez Augustien (when not half a stone over weight)

Lua Lua Orlandi

Ulloa

Two of those players where out injured today so that is a plus point. In an ideal world I'd say we need a left back, centre back and winger. If Oscar can get them in then who knows how well we could do.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Poyet won League 1 in his first season and sorted out our defence within about 3 months when he arrived in 2009. These are facts. Poyet got us organised and disciplined.

In the space of a couple of months, either through design or neglect, we have lost the organisation and discipline and replaced it with nothing. Yes, early days. And again, I am not writing Oscar off. But you can't pretend not to see how poor we were today and how much better Derby looked just through being organised. They are a good barometer for the Championship standard, they plod along happily. We have to improve to reach plodder status.

Happily only 2 games in, but we have reasons to be a bit cautious.

Oh really? I think you'll find that for the majority of his first season in charge we were facing relegation to league 2, getting trounced most weeks until we put a good run together at the end, but do carry on.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oh really? I think you'll find that for the majority of his first season in charge we were facing relegation to league 2, getting trounced most weeks until we put a good run together at the end, but do carry on.

Try going to the games. We became solid, tough to play against and made some shrewd signings with a view to the next season. You can attempt to rewrite history if you want, but after the first couple of months we pulled away from the relegation zone and finished 13th. A very good achievement that season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You have to allow for a lad making his League debut in the vital holding role, and an inexperienced left back who made no impression on load at Yeovil last season. One of our play-makers has had no pre-season. And we have no second striker.

It aint going to look pretty for at least a few weeks, and maybe a couple of months.

Exactly. Ninja Elephant would have more credibility if his observations werent so selective and self serving.

Oscar will be more direct than Gus. I'm liking that already. In his frustration (with Barnes) with our finishing he has done what many suggested and pished one of our beat finishers (Buckley) into the middle late in the game. KLL was not down the middle. For the few minutes he was on he was mainly in space in the left.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Try going to the games. We became solid, tough to play against and made some shrewd signings with a view to the next season. You can attempt to rewrite history if you want, but after the first couple of months we pulled away from the relegation zone and finished 13th. A very good achievement that season.

And yet you only want to give the new guy 2 games?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't really get it. . What's Garcias plan for games ? Only thing I saw was non possession football with the ball being pumped long . Wasn't the team I know

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i want to know where the decent football has gone and now we are playing hoofing syle of football and i feel we need to go back to the basics from last season and playing the style we played last season from the back

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Exactly. Ninja Elephant would have more credibility if his observations werent so selective and self serving.

Oscar will be more direct than Gus. I'm liking that already. In his frustration (with Barnes) with our finishing he has done what many suggested and pished one of our beat finishers (Buckley) into the middle late in the game. KLL was not down the middle. For the few minutes he was on he was mainly in space in the left.

I happen to think Ninja has got a lot of this right. The lack of width and the disorganisation was startling, with or without the ball. Full backs tucked in tighter than I have ever seen, Maxi exposed by the lopsided threesome of Lopez, Calde an occasionally Buckley. Starting Buckley down the middle, Barnes and Ulloa, down the middle, Kemy and Spider, down the middle, Andrews and Lua Lua, down the middle. Our shape yesterday was the easiest to unpick at this level of footie, and OG neither seemed to spot it or do anything about it.

As the game went on the desperate launching of 45 yard diagonal balls was cringeworthy. Andrews must have thought he was back at the Dons, and Upson back at Stoke.

the coaching team so badly need to watch videos of that game, from a number of angles, and work out the bloody basics. Quick.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I happen to think Ninja has got a lot of this right. The lack of width and the disorganisation was startling, with or without the ball. Full backs tucked in tighter than I have ever seen, Maxi exposed by the lopsided threesome of Lopez, Calde an occasionally Buckley. Starting Buckley down the middle, Barnes and Ulloa, down the middle, Kemy and Spider, down the middle, Andrews and Lua Lua, down the middle. Our shape yesterday was the easiest to unpick at this level of footie, and OG neither seemed to spot it or do anything about it.

As the game went on the desperate launching of 45 yard diagonal balls was cringeworthy. Andrews must have thought he was back at the Dons, and Upson back at Stoke.

the coaching team so badly need to watch videos of that game, from a number of angles, and work out the bloody basics. Quick.
i feel oscar needs to play Buckley and lua lua out wide as wingers and then in the middle play bridcutt and lopez or cofts or others in middle with barnes and ulloa up top

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
People complain about Gus and the lack of attacking play, too many passes and not going forward, the lack of wingers and too many draws, etc..
After 3 games with a new central midfield we are going forward quicker, and should we win our next match, have the same points as three draws which some were claiming would be as good or better that last season. (3 draws = 2 losses and a win, ie 3 points and they rather we lost going for the win that sat back and taking a draw even if we lose)

The loss at Leeds was very unfortunate, to a late winner which included a handball in the build up. Newport was really a nothing game. Give them time, Gus had spells were we didn't get many points for several games but still given the fans support, OG has been here 5 minutes and played just 2 league games. What he needs is his first win to get that monkey off his back (and hopefully the fans already questioning his role)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

How are they self serving?

You lost all credibility by not noticing LuaLua play centrally. It wasn't just me who has said that. It was obvious. Tactically, what was the benefit of putting Buckley in the centre? After it cost us the Newport game by giving us no outlet, why do it again? Nigel Clough won't have an easier time of it this season, no other team will blunt themselves so obviously to make it easier for Derby to control us.

I know, they are a strange unhealthy bunch in the East Upper. :lolol:

:lolol: Top quoting. Great view up there, and some good people around me which is important.

4. I went to the friendlies. I'm a GREAT fan.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Nail. Head.

No gameplan.
I guess we should stick to Poyet's game plan.

pre-match: talk about quality in the squad, the Chelsea job and this is a game where we need to win.

match time:
Sit deep when we're 1-0 up. Take the 3 points.
Concede, we'll sit deep anyway and take the point.
Losing, sit deep and have a slow counter-attack if we ever get that chance. Sit in the dug out arms folded.

post-match:
If we win: gloat a little and inflate your ego, sort of hint you deserve a bigger job.
If we draw: gloat a little, hint at the lack of budget
If we lose: sulk, complain about the budget and then talk about the Chelsea job some more.

Sounds good.
If we dr

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Originally Posted by Husty

4. I went to the friendlies. I'm a GREAT fan.

And any fan worth their salt knows that friendlies are just meaningless games, games where lots of players are given time on the pitch and are often just about fitness, or has this changed and they are now worth league points.

To call for someones head after 2 league games because we also lost our home friendlies is unbelievable.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
The most concerning thing for me was that Ulloa was often out wide, not in the box where we need him.

I'm not sure why people are calling for LuaLua to start. He's had enough time to prove he can cut it at this level and hasn't done so. Can be a great substitute for the last 20 mins or so but not good enough to start imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here