Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] From tactical machine to unintelligent freedom

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
I cant understand the panic. We lost to a good Leeds side with the last kick of the game and a controversial goal, had Calderon wrongfully dismissed which changed the game against Newport and were denied an obvious handball yesterday as well as hitting the inside of the post, both which could have given us the opportunity to go on and win if they had gone in our favour. OG will find the right mix soon with the team at his disposal, he just needs time to experiment and learn from his mistakes. And time is what we have on our side at the moment. We are 6 points off the top of the table....you`d take that with 3 games to go....even better with 44 games to go!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I guess we should stick to Poyet's game plan.

pre-match: talk about quality in the squad, the Chelsea job and this is a game where we need to win.

match time:
Sit deep when we're 1-0 up. Take the 3 points.
Concede, we'll sit deep anyway and take the point.
Losing, sit deep and have a slow counter-attack if we ever get that chance. Sit in the dug out arms folded.

post-match:
If we win: gloat a little and inflate your ego, sort of hint you deserve a bigger job.
If we draw: gloat a little, hint at the lack of budget
If we lose: sulk, complain about the budget and then talk about the Chelsea job some more.

Sounds good.
If we dr

Was that supposed to be smart or amusing? It was neither. Poyet had his faults, mainly not having a plan B. he did however have a plan A. He had a gameplan, something we don't have under Oscar at the moment.

We're lacking an approach and a style. It's not a team selection issue at all, the players are there.

Lets hope we sort it out next week. We have a LOT of work to do.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Try going to the games. We became solid, tough to play against and made some shrewd signings with a view to the next season. You can attempt to rewrite history if you want, but after the first couple of months we pulled away from the relegation zone and finished 13th. A very good achievement that season.

It seems as though you are rewriting history. It was not until the last couple of months of the season that we put a run together and pulled away. Up until then we were still in a relegation battle.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It seems as though you are rewriting history. It was not until the last couple of months of the season that we put a run together and pulled away. Up until then we were still in a relegation battle.

We had a pretty poor start last season something like 12 out of 30 points

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And any fan worth their salt knows that friendlies are just meaningless games, games where lots of players are given time on the pitch and are often just about fitness, or has this changed and they are now worth league points.

To call for someones head after 2 league games because we also lost our home friendlies is unbelievable.

Who is calling for Oscar's head?

We pulled away in good time. Finishing 13th wasn't an accident or a lucky end to the season, we were organised and disciplined and not shipping in goals all over the place. That is the reality, whether you want to be pedantic and argue about the length of time it took or not. The fact remains Gus came straight in and identified our terrible defending as being the main problem, so he resolved it. Simple as that, it took time obviously, because you don't go from calamity to watertight overnight.

But it's easy to go the other way, all it takes is a little bit of neglect when it comes to defensive shape and pattern and all of a sudden you can leave your defence exposed and start conceding goals all over the show. It needs to be worked on, that's just what it is. If you want to criticise me, or anyone else, for pointing out it out, then carry on. But it's obvious. 2 league games in, and we obviously aren't as well drilled as we were last season and that has cost us in the first two games.

It's tough to point out the flaws without sounding like you're moaning, but I'm really not. I can see the errors in what we're doing and I'm highlighting them, but I'm not intending to use it as a stick to beat Oscar with. He's obviously a good coach, and he'll get it right with time but there are basic things he needs to address.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
OG seems to prefer the Kevin Keegan win 5-4 style to the Gus win 1-0 or draw. That is why we are likely to get countered more often conceding goals when we have committed men forward. I seem to recall in the early days Poyet tried to get the ball forward quicker but as we lacked technical skills it turned into a slower possession dominated style over time.

OG is either following the same pattern and won't realise this for a while when he will slow it down or truly believes we do/ will have players technically good enough and soldier on until it starts to work

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
That is last season to this. All the players knew their roles and what the others were doing. This season the players have more freedom to express themselves but less understanding of how to play as a team. People who were so confident they knew what they were soing last season are questioning themselves, Kuszczak, Greer and Upson made hardly any of the errors they frequently made today.

There is no organisation in the team and that is a real worry. Oscar will get it sussed, but we need to temper our expectations this season. Top half at best unless we quickly resolve the obvious flaws in our team. Which, for me, are not the players. Just the tactics and shape.

Cardiff City won games last season mostly ugly, a lot of their fans would back me up on this. We may not be the rolls Royce you are expecting but we are winning games and this is ALL that matters right now. We are ahead of last season with all the injuries in comparison we will be up there this year with out doubt.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cardiff City won games last season mostly ugly, a lot of their fans would back me up on this. We may not be the rolls Royce you are expecting but we are winning games and this is ALL that matters right now. We are ahead of last season with all the injuries in comparison we will be up there this year with out doubt.

Are you aware you quoted a post from august?

If so; Obviously Oscar has rebuilt the defence and one goal is more than often enough. Which is a bonus when you aren't scoring many. Oscar has had a massive handicap with all the injuries! No Brighton manager has ever had to face so many. He has done a brilliant job, all things considered. Performances are secondary to results.

If not; that was then, this is now. Context.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Who is calling for Oscar's head?

We pulled away in good time. Finishing 13th wasn't an accident or a lucky end to the season, we were organised and disciplined and not shipping in goals all over the place. That is the reality, whether you want to be pedantic and argue about the length of time it took or not. The fact remains Gus came straight in and identified our terrible defending as being the main problem, so he resolved it. Simple as that, it took time obviously, because you don't go from calamity to watertight overnight.

But it's easy to go the other way, all it takes is a little bit of neglect when it comes to defensive shape and pattern and all of a sudden you can leave your defence exposed and start conceding goals all over the show. It needs to be worked on, that's just what it is. If you want to criticise me, or anyone else, for pointing out it out, then carry on. But it's obvious. 2 league games in, and we obviously aren't as well drilled as we were last season and that has cost us in the first two games.

It's tough to point out the flaws without sounding like you're moaning, but I'm really not. I can see the errors in what we're doing and I'm highlighting them, but I'm not intending to use it as a stick to beat Oscar with. He's obviously a good coach, and he'll get it right with time but there are basic things he needs to address.

You may not be moaning but what you're doing is coming across as arrogant and rather silly.

Pointing out what Garcia is doing wrong? Dear oh dear, get over your wonderful self!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You may not be moaning but what you're doing is coming across as arrogant and rather silly.

Pointing out what Garcia is doing wrong? Dear oh dear, get over your wonderful self!

It was August! ???

Besides, everyone's got an opinion. That's what my £50 a month season ticket buys me.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It was August! ???

Besides, everyone's got an opinion. That's what my £50 a month season ticket buys me.

And you need a £50 season ticket to voice an opinion?

Getting more silly. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here